No announcement yet.

GA-MA790X-DS4 & Mushkin XP2-8500 2x2GB (996599)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-MA790X-DS4 & Mushkin XP2-8500 2x2GB (996599)

Hi,

This is my first post here.Glad to be in your tech community!

I just ordered the 790X-DS4.I haven't ordered any ram yet because i need some info.

The Ram i want to combine with this board is Mushkin XP2-8500 2x2GB Kit (996599).

a)In the board's Memory Compatibility List the above memory kit does not exist. Does anyone know if it is compatible? Has anyone the above combination mobo/ram?

b)There is a notice in the Memory Compatibility List that 1066MHz memory will only work at 1066MHz with one module per channel.Has anyone some further info about it?

c)The cpu i have available is an Athlon X2 4850e+.Later on, i will purchase a Phenom X4 9850. Having the Athlon installed will the memory work?If i am correct, it will auto-downgrade to 800Mhz (since AM2 do not support 1066Mhz Ram) or it will not work at all?

Thank you all in advance.
    Last edited by felix_w; 05-27-2008, 04:48 AM.

Re: GA-MA790X-DS4 & Mushkin XP2-8500 2x2GB (996599)

That ram will be fine, As for the speed I think you should be able to manually change that yourself once installed.

But.... I dont know ANYTHING about AMD so I could be very wrong, best to wait until someone who uses AMD answers.

But yes, mushkins work great, and that is what I suggest personally. As for the 1066 speed instead of 800, you can buy a good 800 set and just overclock them to 1066 with looser timings. Which is what the 1066 sets are anyway

Comment

I thought of 1066 as a better option, because i was afraid that with 800Mhz ram, later with the Phenom , the option of 1066 would not appear in the bios ( as a divider, because in AMD systems, Ram Frequencies set in Bios are actually the available Dividers ) , but i just looked in the manual ande there is no "1066" selectable setting in DDR2 Frequency in Bios.

I will just wait for mushkin to reply regarding the compatibility and i guess after that i will proceed in purchasing them...

Comment

800 ram is 1066 ram only overclocked with loose timings. So if you buy GOOD 800 ram you can do 1066 with 555 timings. All 1066 sticks will be 800 until you change it in the BIOS anyway

Yeah if you have asked at Mushkin forum then you will get a quick and positive answer from Greg. Your board may not allow 1066, he will know for sure

Just so you know, Manuals show "Official" selections, Such as my board "Officially" runs 1200 FSB, but I am running it at 1800 right now. Ill go look up your board and see what I think, is it a newer or older board? If newer you surely can run 1066, but being AMD I have no clue, it may be based on whether your CPU can or not?
        Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 05-27-2008, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Says right here second item in the list Supports DDR2 1066, depending on CPU used
          GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Overview - GA-MA790X-DS4 (rev. 1.0)

Comment

I do see terrible reviews on it at newegg, so hopefully your board is ok!!! If not RMA soon as you can if you got at newegg, they do FAST RMA for refund or Replacement
            Customer Reviews Of GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-DS4 AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX Ultra Durable II AMD Motherboard - Retail

Comment

I guess that the burned mobos are result of the stress of the mosfets powering the xtremely power-starving Phenoms of 125W...

There is a reason why in that location of the mobo there are two holes...for a mosfet cooler...which i plan to install (the thermalright HR-09 module)..I hope that the board should run more stable after the installation...

Except from that i already have two spare HR-05's one for the NB and one for the SB (an SLi-type one), so that minimizes any side-effects that the heat would have on the board...

I hope that the "reviews" - comments on Newegg are just made by a very small percentage of the worldwide owners of the board...
              I just can't stand having bad luck!!! :-)

@ Mushkin forums, Greg already has replied with very valuable info & timings that should work...so i guess i will proceed with purchacing the ram kit and every other part left to complete the build...

Be sure that i will post back results and impressions of the combo, so as other users can have a clue of the board's features and (i hope not any) problems...

Regards,

Felix

Comment

K good luck with it all, and yes post back. Yeah Greg is very good and very fast with the replys as well

Be sure you use NON conductive paste on those NB and mosfets, I have seen many a images of user who KNEW what they were do so they said with fried Mosfets due to electrical shorts. I suggest TX-2, MX-2 or Arctic Ceramique. I use TX-2 on my NB and mosfets and it helped alot

Comment

Re: GA-MA790X-DS4 & Thermalright HR-09

Originally posted by felix_w View Post

There is a reason why in that location of the mobo there are two holes...for a mosfet cooler...which i plan to install (the thermalright HR-09 module)..I hope that the board should run more stable after the installation...

Except from that i already have two spare HR-05's one for the NB and one for the SB (an SLi-type one), so that minimizes any side-effects that the heat would have on the board...

Hi felix_w,

does the HR-09 actually fit on this motherboard? Have you installed it? It looks like it's going to be awful tight? And what about the HR-05's, are they of any use, i.e. do they lower the temperature on at least the NB?

Comment

Hi all,

Sorry about the delay..seems that i didn't have an email notification for your post...plus been very busy at work...

Everything is fine with the DS4 & the mushkins...altough 1066 is not directly supported, due to using an Athlon X2 and not a Phenom. I can reach that freq. by overclocking the CPU and by that OC'ing the memory modules...Seems they have an EPP profile that i haven't used so far...but freq of 1066 needed only 2.075. Nice...after receiving my WC stuff i will have the opportunity to play a little with the timings and frequency...for now i am at stock settings & clocks...

@Patrik,
                    Ok, let's see...There is a specific version of HR-09 that fits the mobo...The different versions correspond to different distance ranges between mounting holes.Tight? No, i don't think so...Before ordering though, be sure to measure correct and get the correct version of the HR-09...An email to Thermalright would be a nice thought...

Unfortunately for u, i arranged a water-cooling setup and probably gonna use the Koolance WC mosfet block.

For the above reason NB & SB will be WCooled also and due to having at this period less free time than ever, i haven't even tried the HR-05 on them...The fact is that the tiny SB cooler keeps running very hot..The NB cooler does better work but still temperature not low enough for my specs...
                    The HR-05's will be just fine for both NB & SB...tried both on other mobos and have excellent results...

hope i helped...
                    Last edited by felix_w; 09-07-2008, 05:36 AM.

Comment

hey evry1 :)

i was wondering if some1 could giv me a reason as 2 y this particular gigabyte motherboard has failed me? lol
                      wen i bought it i also got the AMD phenom, RAM and an ATI graphics. And about 6 months after that..it fried. Now im sure that i put evrything together properly..coz seriously..how hard is it? lol
                      i just cant c any reason y it would fry only after 6 months.
                      i hav had gigabyte motherboards b4 and they've lasted me yrs and still had plenty of life in them still.
                      any help with this 1 would b much appreciated :)

Comment

What fried?

Comment

um..i believe that it was the tv socket thingies..or somethin around that area <.< ..i think :S lol

Comment

Re: GA-MA790X-DS4 &amp; Mushkin XP2-8500 2x2GB (996599)

Hmm, was you using that connection? You meant HDMI or what?

Comment

Re: GA-MA790X-DS4 &amp; Mushkin XP2-8500 2x2GB (996599)

funny enough no..the only thing i had pug in in that area was a fan lol!

Comment

Working...
                              X