Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gigabyte X38/P35/P965 (DS* DQ* S3) Overclocking and General BIOS tweaking Guide

You should only worry about what the actual voltages applied are, such as what you would see in Everest or CPU-z.

To run those timings at that speed 2.1V is likely needed, so sounds normal to me really. And yes, all boards have a discrepancy between what you set for Vcore/Vdimm and what is actually applied

Comment

• Re: Gigabyte X38/P35/P965 (DS* DQ* S3) Overclocking and General BIOS tweaking Guide

Thanks Lsdmeasap,

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      You should only worry about what the actual voltages applied are, such as what you would see in Everest or CPU-z.
      BIOS, Everest, CPU-Z etc read the same register that is the output of A/D converter. What you are saying means to me that you would trust the reading circuit but not the setting one. OK.

To run those timings at that speed 2.1V is likely needed, so sounds normal to me really. And yes, all boards have a discrepancy between what you set for Vcore/Vdimm and what is actually applied
      So do you believe that 0.25V "discrepancy" for Vdimm is somewhat "usual" for this board??? Wow! But that means that some DDR like Kingston or Geil simply won't work with this board. Even with maximum setting "+0.7V" vDDR will not reach the voltage value 2.2-2.3V nominal for those rams.

Comment

Well what I meant what the voltage you see in everest/CPU-z at idle and load both differ from what you set in the BIOS anyway due to Vdrop and Vdroop. But basically yes, worry about what you see in those at idle and load not what you set in the BIOS.

Yes, variances in memory voltage between various set amounts is normal. Sometimes this is more or less, depending on the board model and or BIOS in use at that time. 2.2-2.3V is not what the memory needs to run always, but rather what you are allowed under warranty to use safely.

That is a large difference for sure though, is this with all BIOS for your board? If so it very well could be your board, there is Vdimm hard mods out there if you feel up to that I could link you to the info likely

Comment

Well what I meant what the voltage you see in everest/CPU-z at idle and load both differ from what you set in the BIOS anyway due to Vdrop and Vdroop. But basically yes, worry about what you see in those at idle and load not what you set in the BIOS.

I am aware of voltage issues with this board as far as CPU core voltage is concerned. vCORE drooping in a range of 30-60mV is quite common for this board. The vCORE readings normally consistently track the settings. And vCORE drooping is made by design for a reason.

In my case vDDR is in order of magnitude higher and the readings don't follow the settings whatsoever as shown in original message. Interestingly enough "+0.1V" does not change the voltage at all. The vDDR idle/load difference is very reasonable (~50mV).

That is a large difference for sure though, is this with all BIOS for your board?
          I used F7 and F9 version. Did not noticed a difference as far as Vdimm is concerned.
          If so it very well could be your board, there is Vdimm hard mods out there if you feel up to that I could link you to the info likely
          Yes, I have a feeling that this is a problem with my board. I would appreciate if you could send me the link for Vdimm hard mods

Comment

Yes, Vcore Vdrop and Vdroop are by design of course. Sometimes though, much more than needed is applied at various settings and it varies between boards and BIOS revisions as well.

Did you ever try clearing your CMOS and reflashing the F9 BIOS? Just something else to try. I will look around now for you and see if I can get you the hard mod info for P35

Comment

Vdimm mod for P35
              XtremeSystems Forums - View Single Post - Official GIGA P35-S3/DS3/DS3R/DS3P/DS4/DQ6 bios/info thread

Comment

Did you ever try clearing your CMOS and reflashing the F9 BIOS? Just something else to try. I will look around now for you and see if I can get you the hard mod info for P35
                Yes, I definitely, cleared CMOS few times. I'll try to reflash BIOS, but I doubt it can help. As I said I used F7 for 1yr+ with exactly the same result. With older CPU I simply didn't care much because I did not overclock the memory (almost) using EPP configuration though.

Comment

Please use Qflash to update your BIOS, not @BIOS!!

Comment

Please use Qflash to update your BIOS, not @BIOS!!

Great link! Wow! At least, I want to check the voltage. And the components are big enough. Don't have urgent need to modify the board though, since I have some voltage margin.

Yes, I use qflash to update BIOS.

It is nice to communicate with you. I guess you are a professional. Thanks for everything!

Comment

Glad I could help! Just so you know, Vcore mod is also posted in that thread.

Comment

Hello Lsdmeasap,
                        I am a new overclocker and have used your guide here to overclock my pc with great success. Thank You. I have GA-EP35-DS3R board and recently purchased a Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 Yorkfield 2.66GHz cpu. I initially tried to overclock with some general overclocking info on other websites but was not able to run stable. I used your guide here and I am running stable at 3 Ghz with a FSB 375Mhz with idle cpu temps under 30c. I have heard folks overclocking this cpu faster and I might try later but for now I am very happy as is. System is stable running x-plane flightsim and everything else I can run at the same time. Love all the tools you recommend. Thank you again and I will be checking back for more tips.

John
                        coa106

Comment

Thanks for your kind comments, post back anytime if you need further help with things

Comment

Hey guys I am trying to achieve 4ghz on my qx9650 in return I get BSOD.
                            PSU OCZ 780W
                            OCZ 8600. 2x2GB 1000Mhz 5.5.5.18 ( Multiplier @2.5 (+.30v = 2.1v Total)
                            X48 DQ6 (FSB 400Mhz +.10v) + (PCI-E 102Mhz +.10v)
                            QX9650 (C1) @ x10 @1.3625V
                            All other setting are set according to the Guide on page 1.
                            I tried raising RAM to 2.3v, & CPU to 1.37v with no luck.
                            Any ideas anyone? Should I push it further? Please let me know & thanks in advanced...

Comment

Is (G)MCH voltage +.15~+.2 for that 4GB Ram?

Please make a signature (in usercp) showing the components of your system.

Please get the appropriate Motherboard Bios Template, and fill out all settings with yours, exactly as they are in bios. If it says auto, enter auto. They are found here: Gigabyte BIOS Templates (To Give Us Your Settings) - TweakTown Forums

This will make it easier for others to help.
                              Last edited by Salty; 11-07-2009, 05:53 AM.

CPU
                              =
                              i7 950 - DO stepping - Batch #3014A844
                              Cooling = EK HF Full Nickel
                              - XSPC RX360 - Laing DDC 18W - XSPC Bay Reservoir
                              Motherboard = GA-X58A-UD3R Revision 2
                              , BIOS Version = Award FC
                              Ram = 3x2gig Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D G
                              Video = 2 X Palit GTX460 Sonic Platinum 1GB OC sli
                              Monitor = 22" LG Flatron W2242T 1680 x 1050 Case = Coolermaster CM690
                              PSU = Corsair HX850
                              OS = Windows 7 Professional x64

Comment

CPU = Intel QX9650 C1
                                Motherboard = Gigabyte, Revision GA-X48 DQ6,
                                BIOS Version = F8D
                                Ram = OCZ, Model PC2 8000, Part Dual Ch, OCZ Technology | Products | End of Life | OCZ DDR2 PC2-8000 4GB Platinum Edition Dual Channel *EOL

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
                                CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
                                Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0.0]
                                CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
                                CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [400]
                                PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [101]
                                C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
                                System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.50A]
                                DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________5
                                Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________5
                                Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
                                Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________18

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________3 (Auto)
                                Rank Write to READ Delay________3 (Auto)
                                Write to Precharge Delay________6 (Auto)
                                Refresh to ACT Delay____________46(Auto)
                                Read to Precharge Delay_________3 (Auto)
                                Static tRead Value______________6 (Auto)
                                Static tRead Phase Adjust_______9 [Auto]
                                Command Rate (CMD)______________2(Auto)

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control [800mV]
                                CPU Clock Skew Control [normal]
                                GMCH Clock Skew Control [Normal]

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
                                DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
                                PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
                                FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
                                (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
                                Loadline Calibration_______(Auto)
                                CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.30]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
                                No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
                                CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
                                C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
                                x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
                                CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
                                CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
                                Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
                                Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

Comment

Working...
                                X