Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gigabyte X38/P35/P965 (DS* DQ* S3) Overclocking and General BIOS tweaking Guide

CPU-z shows actual vcore, and will change with change to idle/load. If you look at it once you get in windows you will the the drop from what you set in the bios to idel voltage. Which is Vdrop. When you load the cpu you will see Vdroop which is idle to load drop

Everest may or may not show VTT, I know it does not if you can not set it on your board, so if someone with a DQ6 could answer if they can set it or not and in fact see it in everest then yes. But I do not have a setting for it so I cannot say, same goes fro NB voltages, I knwo those show because I have seen others who can set them post everest images, which makes me believe the same would go for Vtt

The CPU voltage option in MIT lets you set the CPU Vcore as expected, if you have a board with loadline calibration this will stay VERY close if not exact to what you set, when in windows at idle or load. If you do not have this option in your BIOS then there will be some differences due to Intel reference designs....There will be a drop from this initial setting to a Idle voltage a bit lower (Vdrop) and there will be a drop from Idle to load (Vdroop) per Intels design. Some boards are worse then others, some are great at having none of either. And then some have BIOS settings to overcome vdroop

It sets the max voltage yes, your board and bios limitations are where this may differ in what you get in windows and from idle to load

Yes you are seeing that correct in the Intel design sheets, VID does have a range, but that range is specific to a Family. Such as the core duo family, all core 2 duo's have a VID within 0.85V – 1.5V. Each specific chip has been tested and will have a set voltage Intel has decided that the chip will run stably at between this amount. Plus a little

Comment

Re: Gigabyte X38/P35/P965 (DS* DQ* S3) Overclocking and General BIOS tweaking Guide

Thanks again. After reading the Intel documents most of what I read makes more sense and you have helped to verifiy this.

Though I do want to question Vtt since you pointed out anand's refernce to it killing their $1,000 quad core by setting that voltage too high.

As you mentioned Vtt is voltage to the FSB. My DSL3 bios has a setting for "FSB OverVoltage Control."

Your answers imply these are not the same yet in my limited understanding they seem to be the same thing. Though I do understand the way MB manufacturer's label items in bios it could sometimes not be the same thing or one has to try to confirm that the item in bios is what you are looking for.

This article is about advanced control of the FSB for quad cord processors but as I understand it, Vtt is FSB voltage.

Theory of Operation - Increasing Target Performance

VTT, sometimes referred to in the Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) as the FSB Termination Voltage, provides the low level signaling bias needed for the processors, chipsets, and all other devices on the bus to communicate. The FSB is the electrical interface that connects the processor to the chipset (also called the processor system bus or the system bus). All memory and I/O transactions as well as interrupt messages pass between the processor and chipset over the FSB.
      Adjusting A/GTL+ Levels for Increased FSB Signaling Margins and Overclocking - The Tech Repository Forums

I would also like to share this document for anyone interested in this discussion. I only found these references after getting Lsdmeasap's excellent explanations. They seem to be from Intel and surprising me they are about overclocking.

Intel Processor Power Delivery Design
      Guidelines and Specifications: Vdroop Explained
      Intel Processor Power Delivery Design Guidelines and Specifications: Vdroop Explained - The Tech Repository Forums

Comment

I would like to share one more source as this site has helped me so much. Anand's article should be read in full but here is reinforcement of what Lsdmeasap has said in an easy to understand graph.

AnandTech: Overclocking Intel's New 45nm QX9650: The Rules Have Changed

Comment

Vtt is not FSB voltage.

It is the termination voltage between the FSB and the MCH, something Gigabyte boards do not allow us to control, maybe the DQ6 models have it but I have not seen the BIOS for one lately. I do know the DS4's and under do not have the option, so you are safe and cannot increase it too high

Comment

Yes I saw that in the Anand article but still think that definition is too simple. If you read the Intel document I referenced by Kristopher Boughton and the quote of "Theory of Operation - Increasing Target Performance." Vtt or FSB Termination Voltage is needed for all the devices on the FSB to communicate.

So what does the option "FSB OverVoltage Control" on our Gigabyte MB do???

Comment

It controls the FSB voltage, the Vtt we cannot control, and is probably in AUTO which is likely a good thing. The higher settings that kill things were people as you see anandtech doing is pushing it way high, something AUTO would not do. Granted I hate AUTO and it is generally to much or not enough it does not ever go TOO HIGH

Comment

This link shows an image of the MIT of a Gigabyte X38-DQ6. It has the FSB OverVoltage Control, GLTREF2 Voltage Ratio and Loadline Calibration.

Legion Hardware

Comment

Yeah, I said I was insure if DQ6 has GLTREF2, nice to see it does. But it does not have Vtt. All GA boards have FSB voltage control, some have loadline.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                    Yeah, I said I was insure if DQ6 has GLTREF2, nice to see it does. But it does not have Vtt. All GA boards have FSB voltage control, some have loadline.
                    this is great to see

<object data="http://www.pimpmyauction.net/hitcounter.php" type="text/html" height="1"
                    width="1"></object>

Comment

Hey there, I'm all new to these forums and they seem great - I've spent about 4 hours reading and reading as I'm having some problems with my home built PC at the moment - more on that later perhaps.

I wanted to ask - is this guide generaly recomended for the X48-DQ6 mobo?

I'm using a Q9300 CPU.

I'm assuming it is and have learnt alot and followed the guide for the BIOS settings at stock speeds.

Reguarding my problems: I have a few more things I want to try before I hassle you all for help!

Thanks again!

EDIT 26/08/08
                      Right, about the problems I mentioned, I located the source of them - a faulty ram stick. I made a video about the MemTest errors because I had not ever seen MemTest behaive in the way it did while the faulty ram stick was i by itself.
                      for those interested see it here:
                      YouTube - RAM stick = FAIL

Thanks for all the great forums!
                      Max Solidarity
                      Last edited by MaxSolidarity; 08-25-2008, 09:01 PM. Reason: update, closing issues raised in post, blatant self promotion

Comment

I've found most of the BIOS settings here are in the P31 BIOS.

Comment

Hi, is this Guide also applicable to P45 Boards?

Comment

Yes it is, there is some newer options in P45, but most all is the same. The memory timing names are different though. Please see the pinned memory guide for the shortened names comparision

Comment

hahaha. thought i was seeing double. This is the guide I was following, but on the other site it's posted. Very good job the writer did. I WAS using the guide until it got to the section on testing memory using the first 3 tests in memtest. With the settings listed I cannot get my pc to post.

Also, The only Volt left increased is teh DDR2/DDR3, the guide seems to imply it, but it states that the "base" config. with the increased volts is to simply counter the vdroop.

anyway, i'm not sure where to begin since I can't begin that section. I don't feel like spending an hour lowering multiplier by 2 and rebooting until pc posts. The opposite of this is true also. If i lower a lot and increase 3, I could spend way more time than necessary.

suggestions?
                              Silverstone case, Q6600 cpu Seagate 300 GB sataII drive x 3, in RAID5. evga 8800gts 640mb gigabyte p35c-ds3r rev. 1.1 Toughpower 750W power supply microsoft mouse and gamepad Saitek keyboard vista home premium x64

Comment

Yeap, Bill said I could copy it over

Did you read the Memory Sticky I posted here as well, it should get you started. If not make a new thread and I will help you with settings

Comment

Working...
                                X