Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gigabyte X38/P35/P965 (DS* DQ* S3) Overclocking and General BIOS tweaking Guide

I appreciate the help. I just happened upon this thread googling, why I missed the sticky's. I'm OC'ing well right now. at 3.28 core volt 1.376. Of course, i'm not really following a plan. That's what I really like about this article. I'll make a new thread more than likely, and appreciate the hellp.
    Silverstone case, Q6600 cpu Seagate 300 GB sataII drive x 3, in RAID5. evga 8800gts 640mb gigabyte p35c-ds3r rev. 1.1 Toughpower 750W power supply microsoft mouse and gamepad Saitek keyboard vista home premium x64

Comment

Re: Gigabyte X38/P35/P965 (DS* DQ* S3) Overclocking and General BIOS tweaking Guide

Aight, Ill see you there then

Comment

I'm a complete OC noob, but I don't like the idea either that my pc could be performing better than it currently does. Especially if the "upgrade" could be done for free...

I have a Core 2 Duo E8500 (2x3.16GHz) on a GA-EP35C-DS3R motherboard. Currently, it is clocked at its factory standard settings of 9.5x333=3.16GHz.

I'm thinking of raising the FSB to 400MHz whilst maintaining the multiplier of 9.5, thus creating a 9.5x400=3.8GHZ CPU. The 400MHz FSB would also be nice for my DDR2-800 RAM.

Here's the challenge: I'm looking for a "safe" OC, I do not necessarily need to get the maximum out of my CPU, and I'm definitely not looking for any stability issues. In that light, how "safe" is my idea of 9.5x400? And will I need to increase the Vcore setting as well? And last, will my Arctic Freezer 7 Pro do the cooling without forcing it to run on maximum all the time?

Comment

Yes to all of that. And yes it will be safe.

Not so sure about your temps with that cooler as I have not used it myself. But you can watch your temps as you increase your Vcore.

Please feel free to make a new thread for yourself and post your full specs and I will help you with some settings.

If you do not see this reply right away I may not be back to give you settings until later tonight. But if you do see it now I can give you some to start with right quick before I leave

Comment

Thanks! Will do that then.

Comment

Re: Gigabyte X38/P35/P965 (DS* DQ* S3) overclocking and BIOS tweaking Guide

In the part about flashing BIOS you wrote as the final steps:
              Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
              • Make like a woodpecker again, and when in the main BIOS screen select "Load BIOS Fail-Safe Defaults" and press "Enter" when prompted. Select "Save and Exit" from the menu and respond "Y" and the machine will reboot.
              • Let it boot to windows. (**NOTE** DO NOT Let it boot to windows if you are Using a RAID setup, your RAID WILL FAIL)
              Which leads me to the following question: those among us who actually do have a RAID setup, what should they do? Some even have their OS installed on it. For example, my OS is running on a RAID1 array. Does that mean I will not be able to flash my BIOS without doing a complete reinstall? Just wondering...

Comment

NO, Nothing like that

Just be sure after you load Fail-Safe or Optimized Defaults, that you reboot back to the BIOS and change your Disk settings back to RAID again BEFORE you try to load windows.

Nothing big to worry about there, just made note of that because a few people have forgot to do so and lost their RAID.

Please see the flashing guide, I also mention it there with a little detail

Again, No biggie at all just be sure that after a flash or anytime you load any defaults that you do not boot Windows Without going back into the BIOS to change your Disk settings back to the correct Modes.

Comment

Just an adder to MCH prep:
                  I thought to isolate the fins from fan noise transmitted by hot-melt.
                  Tested about eight brands of silicone rubber caulk/glue. Several specifically 'hi-temp', and one, which I had high hopes for, as has particulate copper in it & made for automotive sealing use - thought it might also conduct heat. Tested by application to aluminum sheet metal bent into a hook, and long end submerged in boiling water for a couple hours. Best one turned out to be cheapest, AND availabe in small tube - don't have to pay for a pound of it when all that is needed is four 'dabs': DAP brand "household adhesive 100% silicone". Am doing further testing to find out what it WON'T stick to, to enable putting little 'dams' into the fins before gluing to prevent gooking up air-flow - will post procedure to mount fan a mm or so above the fins when available... Also, will post multi-fan PWM adapter wiring info in 'COOLING' section to allow 'daisy-chaining' of fan in case of MOBO without speed controlled fan channel linked to NB temp...

Comment

CoreTemp is the ONLY correct one in your image.

You must adjust the correct TjMax for Realtemp for your CPU likely, and configure it >>>
                    Real Temp - Documentation

Speedfan must also be configured if you want to use it to monitor your cores

TjMax Info >>>

Comment

Hi Sr good day , i have a problems whit mi Ep3 ds3 F3, when apply the OC--->>

Q6600 VID 1.3250
                      Memory vitesta Extreme 2X2 GB 2.2-2.3 V runs 1066

377*8 -->> 3016 Mhz cpu
                      Memory --->> 1136 Mhz
                      5-5-5-15
                      Timmings--> 3-3-6-52-3-6-23
                      PCI-E-->> 100 (fear up more :( )

Voltage settings

Cpu--->>> 1.4000 BIOS --->> 1.3440 IDLE System(EVEREST 4.60 version) 1.3120 Full load..extreme vdroop :(

Vdimm--> 2.1950 V (+4 in bios NEED UP MORE??
                      my memory is 2.2 -- 2.3 in 1066)

FSB-->> +1
                      MCH-->> +1
                      PCI-E->> NORMAL

My problems is and ''try'' open any program ''show blue screen'' and bios retur to the ''fail settings''
                      weres is my problem????
                      I need to modify more setting?????
                      More voltaje??? in CPU,PCI-E,MCH,FSB,VDIM????? please tell :(

My dream is
                      ---->>> 3200 CPU and 1xxx memory....

PD: Have water cooling CPU

My temp is..

Mother board-->> 50º full load is HOT???
                      CPU---->> 51 FULL LOAD

THX ¡¡¡¡¡¡
                      Last edited by ADDIER; 10-27-2008, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Somebody help me please, try and try and NOT work..

Comment

Sorry for the late reply today, I have had a few things going on that has kept me offline!

Please give me a link to your ram, or the page you bought it from. 2.2-2.3 is not likely needed, that is the warrantied voltages. Anything over 2.2 I advise you put a fan directly on the ram as it is going to get hot and die very quickly if you do not. 2.1 will likely be plenty.

MCH Voltage is likely your issue, and maybe a bit more CPU Voltage as your vdrop and vdroop bring that under stock VID so you may need a bit more.

And of course, your ram may not run stable at that high speed being 2x2. I also do not see anyway with your FSB at 377 that you could be using 1136 as your ram speed. I suppose you mean 1131 (3.00+ x 377) (I know, just saying)

That is on a Very tight Northbridge Strap and you likely could never get that stable using the 266/1066 strap. Try the 1333 or 1600 straps. Use a memory multi with B or # for 333/1333 strap and no letter for 400/1600 strap. That will allow your Northbridge to run at a faster speed with looser timings and help you get your ram stable maybe at that speed. And yes, there will not be a 3.00 multi on the 333 strap, so you will need to use a different multi with a slower ram speed or change your FSB and use a different multi for the same speed

So try this for what you had above as far as CPU Speed >>>

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
                          CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
                          CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
                          CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [377]
                          PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
                          C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
                          System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.66] << This is the 400/1600 Strap (not letter on your board) will be 1002Mhz ram speed. Just for now, after you get stable I can help you with a higher FSB for more ram speed if you like

DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
                          Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
                          Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
                          Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 15

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3-5
                          Rank Write to READ Delay________ 3-6
                          Write to Precharge Delay_________ 4-6
                          Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 52-65
                          Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-5
                          Static tRead Value_______________7-12
                          Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto] << Always leave

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
                          DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] =2.1V
                          PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] << For stability
                          FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] << For stability
                          (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.2V - +0.3] << Needed for 2x2 ram
                          CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.40-1.4?] << you may need more then you have above, but I would suggest you slow the ram down for now and use a ram mulit from my suggestions above and you then should not maybe need so much voltage here. Also once you add MCH voltage you will be more stable as well, but not likely at that ram speed and strap combo

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
                          No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
                          CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
                          C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
                          x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
                          CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
                          CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
                          Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
                          Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

Or here try this for a better overclock of your CPU and ram speed closer to what you have above (not all ram will go that fast, keep in mind) >>>

CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [425]
                          PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
                          System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.66] = 1130

Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 18

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3-5
                          Rank Write to READ Delay________ 3-6
                          Write to Precharge Delay_________ 4-8
                          Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 52-65
                          Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-5
                          Static tRead Value_______________8-12
                          Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto] << Always leave

DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V - +0.4] =2.1V -2.2V
                          PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] << For stability
                          FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] << For stability
                          (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.2V - +0.3] << Needed for 2x2 ram
                          CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.45-1.50] << Set high because of your vdrop/vdroop, may need more or less all depends on your chip
                          Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 10-28-2008, 01:36 AM.

Comment

Hi sr good morning thank,Yesterday try any settings.--->>

CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [334]
                            PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [102]--->>> FAIL¡¡ my bios reset again again :-(
                            Return to 100

System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ cant remember the Multiplier but te ram speed ->1110

Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 15

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3-5-->> auto
                            Rank Write to READ Delay________ 3-6--->>auto
                            Write to Precharge Delay_________ 4-8--->>auto
                            Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 52-65-->>52
                            Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-5-->auto
                            Static tRead Value_______________8-12-->>>auto
                            Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto] << Always leave-->>23

DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V - +0.4] =2.1V -2.2V--->> always run in +4 IS BAD??? my memory say ''2.200 or 2.300 for 1066 5-5-5-15''
                            PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] << For stability---->> is sure to touch it-->> me set in NORMAL..
                            FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] << For stability--->> +1
                            (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.2V - +0.3]--->>> +2

Vcore-->> 1.3850 bios--->> In windows 1.3440 and full 1.3120.

Un to 1.4000??? is equal ---1.3440 in windows but ''the minimun'' down in full is 1.3280..

the is important no?

The system runs ''OK'' in test a 1110 Mhz 5-5-5-15 , but in some games ''fail'' ''''The controller of screen I stop working but I recover''''--->>WTF ¡¡¡

And stop the OC and leave in my old settings...

Need the +1 IN PCI??????? sure sure???? I am afraid to damage it
                            or need more vcore???

I think that I need more vcore,I do not want MORE Mhz in my core... 3000 Mhz is OK..
                            I need to make the memory stable as this one now 1110 Mhz.. no need more speed ;-)

Thanks ¡¡¡¡¡¡

Link the my RAM

http://oc.adata.com.tw/1_product_det...?pid=AD21066EU

Have a fan On my memori. is ''cold'' XDDD very cold..

My temps--->>

Cpu-->> 28º
                            Mother-->> 40º
                            HDD-->>36
                            HDD2-->>34
                            GPU-->>56º Stock cooler 9800gtx standard NO OC EDITION

Have a TX 750 corsair :b

Need ''realy is'' Bandwidth 3000 Mhz in CPU is OK for me, and 1110 or 1200 in my memory

If cannot run 1110 o more... Then need MORE fsb and MORE Mhz in CPU... no???

Thanks for help Sr is very important for me

can try 430*7--->>>3010??????

max MCH in my mother is +3 :S.... no damage???? is extreme voltage?
                            Last edited by ADDIER; 10-28-2008, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Yes PCI +.1 is fine

You need to use all the highest ram timings I gave you until you get stable. Yes, you can use +.4 on your ram it will just be hot for sure so add a fan over it. What you see on the ram sticker for spec's is warrantied voltage, not always what is needed

And yes, you likely need more vcore as 1.34 may not be enough and 1.312 at load may be worse. Which may be why you crash in games.

So please set all timings I gave you to the highest and then see how it acts, if not good then please add more Vcore. Your CPU is fine for sure and you should not worry until you get into 1.45+ in windows (Which you for sure wont need)

You will have much better luck with using a memory multiplier without a Letter/symbol on it, or use a smaller one as your ram may not run that fast and be stable at all

Comment

Why showme this error¿¿¿

''''The controller of screen I stop working but I recover''''--->>WTF ¡¡¡

Vcore??
                                o Pci-e????

Thanks sr and good day

Comment

Working...
                                X