Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gigabyte X38/P35/P965 (DS* DQ* S3) Overclocking and General BIOS tweaking Guide

4GB of ram may require up to +.2v for (G)MCH Overvoltage Control. Your +.1v may not be enough. I would try +.2v MCH.
    Nothing else there looks unusual to me.

CPU
    =
    i7 950 - DO stepping - Batch #3014A844
    Cooling = EK HF Full Nickel
    - XSPC RX360 - Laing DDC 18W - XSPC Bay Reservoir
    Motherboard = GA-X58A-UD3R Revision 2
    , BIOS Version = Award FC
    Ram = 3x2gig Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D G
    Video = 2 X Palit GTX460 Sonic Platinum 1GB OC sli
    Monitor = 22" LG Flatron W2242T 1680 x 1050 Case = Coolermaster CM690
    PSU = Corsair HX850
    OS = Windows 7 Professional x64

Comment

• Re: Gigabyte X38/P35/P965 (DS* DQ* S3) Overclocking and General BIOS tweaking Guide

Thanks for your input Salty, yet I still can't boot into windows even at those settings you specified! Something needs more juice? I am thinking it's the RAM the CPU shouldn't limit me yet [email protected] or should it?

Comment

I should ask if you have succesfully overclocked this chip to a speed other than standard and to what speed? Just checking if you are just jumping in at the deep end or have worked your way up. There is no guaranteed overclock, and checking google find some QX9650 overclocks limited to about 3.78, while others can overclock past 4. It varies.

When you reflashed bios, did you load optimised defaults and reboot into bios before changing any settings? If not save profile first (F11 in bios) and then load optimised defaults and without changing any settings reboot into bios. Continue from there. (Otherwise settings may not register correctly)

+.3 is correct for yr OCZ ram voltage, and 1.3625 is probably more than enough for yr chip AFAIK. I'd leave MCH at +.2 for 4GB ram though.

One approach is to loosen off ram timings so that the ram is unlikely be the cause of boot failure. Hard to guess what auto settings really are as settings may or may not match.
        tRFC (Refresh to ACT Delay) looks pretty tight at 46, if auto is giving the correct setting.
        You could try manually entering ram sub-timings as 4-4-9-56-4-7-auto-2t leaving 5-5-5-15 primary timings as is. Going even further, try the 2.40B or 2.00B strap. These things can be lifted and retested later. Get the cpu booting first. The B straps often more stable up to high fsb, where D starts being better (As in gives best apparent tRD or "Performance Level")

If you have not successfully done any other overclocks on it, you may want to try less speed to see what you can get to boot into windows, and then try to work up from there.

Your bios has the settings shown at the bottom of the X48 template?
        Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
        No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
        CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
        C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
        x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
        CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
        CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
        Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
        Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB
        Maybe upgrade to the F8e bios?

Don't know if you've seen this: AnandTech: Overclocking Intel's New 45nm QX9650: The Rules Have Changed

When overclocking the MCH/Northbridge gets hot and needs extra cooling. Put a small fan on it (sideways?) or point a larger fan at it somehow, if u have not already.

CPU
        =
        PSU = Corsair HX850

Comment

I have a clear Idea on FSB coexisting with CPU but not with DDR2, Its like doing guess work while blindfolded. I think this is my main issue. or so I feel!

Bios was flashed to the latest, rebooted then loaded optimize defaults. Created profiles saved and then started tweaking.

1st) I started with Divider on 2.5A FSB:333 x10 @1.26v 30min OCCT testing = STABLE, then raise 333 x10.5 @1.28 = STABLE, then 333 x11 @1.356 = Stable, then x12 @1.50 and back into in rebooting cycles.
          Then switched to FSB:400 x7, Divider 2.5A went in steps in similar manner as above bit by bit, got it to 3.6 Stable @1.36v, after that it was BSOD it's when I made my first post here.

Right now I managed to get it to FSB:425 Multiplier on x9.5 @1.45v (everything else is according to that tutorial), it booted but failed the OCCT stress test in the first 2 minutes.
          I think this might be the best settings for me, or at least for now. Also Is it possible with my set up to achieve FSB:500 Multi on x6, for a 1:1 ratio! just something else I would like to try if it's worth it!

About that AnandTech article read it more that once & a bunch of other ones regarding my CPU & MOBO, good info there. Read one article where the reviewer got it to 4Ghz under 1.3v, don't know how true that is, because I am struggling to keep it up stable at 3.8 Ghz - 4.0 Ghz @1.50v. As for cooling the case is open with 120mm fan leaning over the ddr2 and the FSB warm to touch even at 1.5vcore.

Cheers.
          Last edited by orky87; 11-05-2009, 09:24 PM. Reason: :)

Comment

Ouch. That sorta fits with the 3.78, but don't give up too easily.

Did you back off on the ram settings? I can see you are really hooked on the 2.5 multiplier. A straps are nominally for 266 bclk (baseclock) 1066fsb cpu's, B straps for 333/1333 cpu, C straps for 200/800 cpu, and D straps for 400/1600 cpu. Many have found B strap works well above 400/1600. There may be no difference in stability to 2.50A, but worth trying to see if there is. Also the reality is that apart from synthetic bandwidth scores very little real world advantage exists between say, 1066 and 800 ram. The difference is small in gaming and other benchmarks. I am just hoping the ram was backed off while overclocking the cpu, otherwise you may not have quite seen full cpu potential. Doesn't matter much either if it's 896 ram or 932 or whatever.... Don't be too worried about keeping it at 1000. Establish the max cpu speed first, then when that is stable, u can alter ram settings to best fit.

Cpu speed = bclk x cpu multiplier (9.5x, 10x, etc)
            Ram speed = bclk X ram multiplier strap (2.50A, 2.40B, 2.66D, etc)

When it bluescreened, did you then try raising Static tRead Value (tRD) by one?

Yes, these low voltage overclocks mystify me a bit too. May well be a matter of finding the "golden chip" in the batch. All supposedly same cpu's seem to differ slightly.

500bclk, probably easier with C2D cpu on EP45-UD3P, but not totally impossible. I haven't gone for high fsb overclocking with my E8500 cpu - AnandTech: Intel X38 Tango - Is High FSB Overclocking Worth It? Some of the other posters here would know more about this.

You still have a few advanced options left. (IF DDR2 ram seems difficult this is more so.)
            If you press Control F1 in main bios screen u get a couple extra settings in MIT section of bios.
            CPU GTLREF1 Voltage Ratio
            CPU GTLREF2 Voltage Ratio

Normally, 1 is AUTO and 2 is NORMAL. Some recommend NORMAL/NORMAL. I think you will only need some combination of +3%, Normal, -3% to stabilise an overclock whose 0 and 1 signals are getting hard to read. This affects vTT inasmuch as allows lower vTT setting.

Practical GTL Reference Tweaking Guide - Xtreme CPU

MADSHRIMPS - Intel 45nm Overclocking: How to reach a high OC

Adjusting A/GTL+ Levels for Increased FSB Signaling Margins and Overclocking - The Tech Repository Forums

GTLREF and FSB VTT Voltage Tweaking

There are the pci and mch skew settings too. May help stabilise an on the edge overclock, but for me last resort as they dampen benchmark performances.

Then there is Load-Line Calibration. If u use OCCT and look at the cpu voltage graphs, LLC enabled pulls the vid voltage up under load. There are varied opinions on its use. May be needed at high overclocks.

All as far as I know.
            Last edited by Salty; 11-06-2009, 02:01 AM.

CPU
            =
            PSU = Corsair HX850

Comment

Originally posted by Salty View Post
              There are the pci and mch skew settings too. May help stabilise an on the edge overclock, but for me last resort as they dampen benchmark performances.
              CPU you mean?
              For my understanding they are just shifting clock signals arrivel to sunchrinize between the CPU and MCH Clock skew - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
              What impact did they have on performance?

Comment

ya, cpu. Benchmark performance would be slightly lower than it would be without skew; I c skew as sacrificing the edge of performance in search of stability. I have not used it much since noting that.

CPU
                =
                PSU = Corsair HX850

Comment

How do you make that? I don't see relation to performance at all. The skew is made to correct synchronization between MCH and CPU. It's related to high FSB frequency not performance directly.

Comment

Saw it in benchmark testing, as i said. Is this contrary to yr experience?
                    Last edited by Salty; 11-06-2009, 04:59 PM.

CPU
                    =
                    PSU = Corsair HX850

Comment

No I can't get to high FSB where it's needed. But is it just as GTLREF, not a performance settings but integrity settings, and unlike GTLREF you can compansat for with VTT I don't know what you can change instead of the skew when it is needed.

Comment

Sounds right. Maybe I used cpu skew when it was not truly necessary.

CPU
                        =
                        PSU = Corsair HX850

Comment

MY PC:

Q6600 G0
                          4096Mb Samsung CL5 800Mhz
                          ati hd 4890 oc 1gb gddr5
                          gigabyte p35-s3g

i cant overclock this on bios why? only on windows with easy tune6...
                          can you tell me why I do not overclock my cpu can say about bios?

Comment

Originally posted by PlayerMusti36 View Post
                            MY PC:

Q6600 G0
                            4096Mb Samsung CL5 800Mhz
                            ati hd 4890 oc 1gb gddr5
                            gigabyte p35-s3g

i cant overclock this on bios why? only on windows with easy tune6...
                            can you tell me why I do not overclock my cpu can say about bios?
                            To answer that we will need the settings you have tried and failed.
                            Please make your own thread, post failed settings using the template in this post.
                            A ascreen capture of MemSet main(click >>) and SPD(click spd) windows will be helpful. You can download MemSet from http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/late...30/#post284762
                            Also please fill your forum signature with your system specs, including BIOS vers. board rev. and a link to your ram specs or at least model/part number.
                            If you have not began by loading BIOS optimized defaults please do so and re-apply any changes you made so far.

Comment

i have the bios version F5
                              revision is A2

i have the settings:

Advanced BIOS Features
                              Hard Disk Boot Priority [Press Enter]
                              First Boot Device__________ [Hard Disk]
                              Second Boot Device_________ [CD-ROM]
                              Third Boot Device__________ [Disabled]
                              Password Check_____________ [Setup]
                              HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability__ [Disabled]
                              CPU Multi-Threading________ [Enabled]
                              Limit CPUID Max. to 3______ [Disabled]
                              No-Execute Memory Protect__ [Disabled]
                              CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)____ [Disabled]
                              CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2)_ [Enabled]
                              CPU EIST Function__________ [Disabled]
                              Virtualization Technology__ [Disabled]
                              Full Screen LOGO Show______ [Disabled]
                              Init Display First_________ [PEG]

Integrated Peripherals
                              SATA AHCI Mode__________ [Disabled]
                              SATA Port0-3 Native Mode [Disabled]
                              USB Controller__________ [Enabled]
                              USB 2.0 Controller______ [Enabled]
                              USB Keyboard Support____ [Enabled]
                              USB Mouse Support_______ [Enabled]
                              Legacy USB storage detect[Enabled]
                              Azalia Codec____________ [Disabled]
                              Onboard H/W LAN_________ [Enabled]
                              SMART LAN_______________ [Press Enter]
                              Onboard LAN Boot ROM____ [Disabled]
                              Onboard SATA/IDE Device_ [Enabled]
                              Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode [AHCI]
                              Onboard Serial Port 1___ [Disabled]
                              Onboard Parallel Port___ [Disabled]
                              Parallel Port Mode______ [SPP]

Power Management Setup
                              ACPI Suspend Type [S1(POS)]
                              Soft-Off by PWR-BTTN [Delay 4 Sec.]
                              PME Event Wake Up_________ [Disabled]
                              Power On by Ring__________ [Disabled]
                              Resume by Alarm___________ [Disabled]
                              x Date (of Month) Alarm Everyday
                              x Time (hh:mm:ss) Alarm 0 : 0 : 0
                              HPET Support (Note)_______ [Enabled]
                              HPET Mode_________________ [64-bit mode]
                              Power On By Mouse_________ [Disabled]
                              Power On By Keyboard______ [Disabled]
                              KB Power ON Password______ [Enter]
                              AC Back Function__________ [Soft-Off]

PnP/PCI Configurations
                              PCI1 IRQ Assignment [Auto]
                              PCI2 IRQ Assignment [Auto]
                              PCI3 IRQ Assignment [Auto]

PC Health Status
                              Reset Case Open Status [Disabled]
                              Case Opened No
                              CPU Warning Temperature___ [70oC / 156oF]
                              CPU FAN Fail Warning______ [Disabled]
                              SYSTEM FAN Fail Warning___ [Disabled]
                              POWER FAN Fail Warning____ [Disabled]
                              Smart FAN Control Method__ [Disabled]

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
                              Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Turbo]
                              CPU Clock Ratio (Note)____________ [9]
                              CPU Host Clock Control_ [Disabled]
                              CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [266]
                              PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [Auto]
                              C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
                              System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [Auto]
                              Memory Frequency (Mhz) 800
                              DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Auto]
                              CAS Latency Time_____________ 6 ____ [auto]
                              Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay______ 6 ____ [auto]
                              Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_____6 ____ [auto]
                              Precharge Delay (tRAS)________18 ____[auto]
                              ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_______x _____[auto]
                              Rank Write to READ Delay______x _____[auto]
                              Write to Precharge Delay______x _____[auto]
                              Refresh to ACT Delay________x _____[auto]
                              ******** System Voltage NOT Optimized ********
                              System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
                              DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [Normal]
                              PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [Normal]
                              FSB OverVoltage Control___ [Normal]
                              (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [Normal]
                              CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.250V]

I tried the following settings

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
                              Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
                              CPU Clock Ratio (Note)____________ [9]
                              CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enable]
                              CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333]
                              PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
                              System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [Auto]
                              Memory Frequency (Mhz) 800
                              DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Auto]
                              CAS Latency Time_____________ 6 ____ [auto]
                              Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay______ 6 ____ [auto]
                              Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_____6 ____ [auto]
                              Precharge Delay (tRAS)________18 ____[auto]
                              ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_______x _____[auto]
                              Rank Write to READ Delay______x _____[auto]
                              Write to Precharge Delay______x _____[auto]
                              Refresh to ACT Delay________x _____[auto]
                              ******** System Voltage NOT Optimized ********
                              System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
                              DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.1V]
                              PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
                              FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
                              (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
                              CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.300V]

two restarts -.- and the settings are 9x 266 -.-

Comment

You need to set System Memory Multiplier manually to 2.40B otherwise the memory will run as DDR-1000 and may not be up to the task with relatively low voltage even with the looser timings.
                                Please understand that it will be easier to assist you in a new thread, and the detail in your signature are also essential.

Comment

Working...
                                X