USB devices not restored after standby - GA-EP35C-DS3R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB devices not restored after standby - GA-EP35C-DS3R

I just upgraded my system to GA-EP35C-DS3R with E8400 a couple weeks ago.

What I recently noticed is that when the system goes out of standby the USB ports (or hubs?) become inactive and the system needs a reboot.

7-in-1 card reader disappears (it has 4 USB drives assigned to it)
    If I stick a flash drive into any of the ports - it won't work.

However, my USB scanner and USB printer do get activated properly...
    I am not sure but I think it started to happen after I flashed BIOS to the latest F3b (from F2).

Any idea? Anyone?
    Thanks!
    --max

Re: USB devices not restored after standby - GA-EP35C-DS3R

only have a not too fancy idea:
    install the intel chipset driver (also named something like "inf installation utility");
    it includes some kind of usb-drivers too;

alternatively you could play around with different ports and also connect brackets to the on-board pins to see if maybe some usb-ports are more willing to cooperate;
    (i think the sum of ports consists of different controllers, at least virtually different ones)
    Last edited by Rewl; 02-26-2008, 07:01 PM.
    GA-Z77X-UD5H # F16-mod8
    i5-3570K # 4.1Ghz
    32GB Geil DDR3-1600 Evo Leggera
    Gigabyte GTX 660 OC
    Seasonic G-550

Comment

Thanks!
      I installed the new inf yesterday - didn't help.
      The card reader IS connected to on-board pin.
      I just reverted back to F2 BIOS - will report back if it fixes the issue..
      --max

Originally posted by Rewl View Post
      only have a not too fancy idea:
      install the intel chipset driver (also named something like "inf installation utility");
      it includes some kind of usb-drivers too;

alternatively you could play around with different ports and also connect brackets to the on-board pins to see if maybe some usb-ports are more willing to cooperate;
      (i think the sum of ports consists of different controllers, at least virtually different ones)

Comment

Be sure you have Legacy USB devices enabled in the advanced BIOS options.

Also if you are using vista (May be in xp as well) go in power options and be sure these devices do not Power off on standby, it may be your OS system that shuts them down and does not restart them rather then the board

If that does not help, maybe see this MS article
        Code:
        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928631/
        Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 02-27-2008, 04:07 AM.

Comment

After I reverted to F2 the problem remained...
          However, looks like I fixed it by uninstalling and reinstalling all USB controllers and hubs in the Device Manager...
          Thanks!

Comment

Sounds good, now you should be able to go back to the newer BIOS.

I am having some issues with USB myself!!! So dont feel bad.

Mine, used to be fine until the other day it started giving me this issue>>>
            When I click "Safely Remove Devices" and remove a USB stick the screen flashes black for a second, and then back to normal, and repeats this again when I actually remove the usb stick.

I had this issue once before on a old 478 intel board, but never on my gigabyte boards. I think it may have to do with legacy usb as I suggested above because I think I enabled that to check things out for you, then disabled it again. Now either way I have this issue. Probably a clear cmos would fix it, I hope!

Comment

It still doing this from time to time....
              From the previous XP install (I upgraded to new cpu/mobo without reinstalling XP) I had those USBBIOSx and USBBIOSHACKS entries in the registry.. Removed them and now will see if that helps.

Originally posted by maxthebuilder View Post
              After I reverted to F2 the problem remained...
              However, looks like I fixed it by uninstalling and reinstalling all USB controllers and hubs in the Device Manager...
              Thanks!

Comment

: ( STILL doing this... frustrating!
                Only the card reader hooked to on-board USB-header misbehaves.
                Possibly the usb hub in the monitor - discharged my e-book a couple of times.
                Not always but SOMETIMES when system wakes up the card reader disappears from the system. I have to either reboot, or go to device manager and sometimes there is a not recognized device (yellow question mark) - delete that, or there's a recognized mass storage device (recognized but not working) - delete that, and scan for hardware changes..
                frustrating!

Originally posted by maxthebuilder View Post
                It still doing this from time to time....
                From the previous XP install (I upgraded to new cpu/mobo without reinstalling XP) I had those USBBIOSx and USBBIOSHACKS entries in the registry.. Removed them and now will see if that helps.

Comment

What do you have set for it in power options in control panel?

And As I said before Standby/Resume is not a good thing with a GA board, and If I didnt say it in this thread already....I just did.

I suggest you do not use it, not try to make it work properly or you could be facing the dreaded Cycle and RMA

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                    Be sure you have Legacy USB devices enabled in the advanced BIOS options.
                    Be aware that enabling this and having an external USB HDD means you won't be able to overclock.

Comment

Yes, that is recommended to be disabled for overclocking, and trouble shooting for sure

Comment

Ouch!! I miss my MSI board...
                        Thanks anyway!

And As I said before Standby/Resume is not a good thing with a GA board, ...
                        I suggest you do not use it, not try to make it work properly or you could be facing the dreaded Cycle and RMA

Comment

Can you elaborate on this please? Never heard this statement before..
                          My CPU is overclocked about 2% - maybe that's why I'm having problems.
                          My Opteron/MSI board was overclocked by 20% and I never had a single problem with that system..

Originally posted by xit2050 View Post
                          Be aware that enabling this and having an external USB HDD means you won't be able to overclock.

Comment

Do you use resume? If so, turn it off and see if that fixes your issue

Comment

What do you mean by "resume"?
                              I would like to put my PC to Standby rather then OFF, and then, yes, I would like to "resume" to wake it up (right now i am doing it with the power button).
                              I have several puters in my household and at work - none of them have this issue (ASUS, Abit and even ESC). Only this Gigabyte misbehaves..

Do you use resume? If so, turn it off and see if that fixes your issue

Comment

Working...
                              X