Gigabyte P35-DS4 - Which Board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gigabyte P35-DS4 - Which Board?

Thanks, Rewl, but I don't want to remove anything from a brand new motherboard, especially one that cost close to $200. If it isn't able to go into the case and have the other components fit onto it then I don't want it.

What's with all the boot problems on P35 boards? Almost every forum I visit I read about boot/post issues, but then what's even more strange is I haven't found any of this mentioned on any review sites.
    Last edited by desktop; 02-07-2008, 05:46 AM.

Comment

I have the revision 2.0 from Newegg - no backplate - and I installed the Ultra Extreme 120 with no problems.

Comment

Ah, thanks, tech. Then I guess it would be safe to say the rev 2.1 boards won't have it either. Was your UE120 easy to install? That massive HS gives me the shakes. Never installed anything on a CPU that huge before. I have an old tube of Arctic 5 laying in the junk drawer. Been there for about two years. Would that still be good enough to use?

Hopefully Gigabyte is on top of this an issues a new (and working) BIOS update to fix the problems.
        Last edited by desktop; 02-07-2008, 05:56 AM.

Comment

The Extreme 120 was very easy to install -- as long as you do it before you have the board in the case -- it's easier than the stock heatsink. I would not spend all that money and then take any chance with the Arctic Silver, it does say that the Arctic Silver can separate if stored flat instead of vertical.

Comment

Originally posted by techtype View Post
            I would not spend all that money and then take any chance with the Arctic Silver, it does say that the Arctic Silver can separate if stored flat instead of vertical.
            Then what would you suggest? I was going to get some Arctic Ceramique. I heard it was excellent stuff. Seems a shame to waste an almost full tube of Silver 5, though. But I see your point.

Comment

Originally posted by desktop View Post
              Then what would you suggest? I was going to get some Arctic Ceramique. I heard it was excellent stuff. Seems a shame to waste an almost full tube of Silver 5, though. But I see your point.
              I'm not really an expert on thermal grease, but fresh Arctic silver or Ceramique should be fine. I spent a small fortune on this stuff:

But I really don't see any great benefit from it!

Comment

So A5 can go bad after a certain amount of time? Hmm, I'll have to look into that. I thought a tube could last a long time if you store it correctly.

Comment

@ Desktop

Newegg says 2.0 but they are shipping 2.1, I got mine there a few weeks ago and it is 2.1.

2.0 and 2.1 both do not have crazy cool. 2.0 is where the removed it and 2.1 is where they added in the phase lights for DES feature. If you go with newegg you will/should get 2.1. My review is there "Lsdmeasap"

I would suggest getting arctic silver or ceramic on ebay, it will cost you way less. Or get some Tuniq TX-2 at newegg with your board it is only 3.99 I think and is non conductive so you can use it under all your NB/SB/Mosfet/PWM's as well. That is what I have under all of mine.

Arctic Silver will be fine for many years as long as you keep it cool and stood upright so what separates goes to the top and you dont see it until last. I have been using the same large syringe of it for about 3 years, all good in my fridge. But it will last just as long somewhere else as long as it is not hot. But yeah the main thing is to keep it vertical as much as you can when storing it

Comment

Originally posted by a573573 View Post
                    Arctic Silver will be fine for many years as long as you keep it cool and stood upright so what separates goes to the top and you dont see it until last. I have been using the same large syringe of it for about 3 years, all good in my fridge. But it will last just as long somewhere else as long as it is not hot. But yeah the main thing is to keep it vertical as much as you can when storing it

I'll just use what I have. It's been in a drawer in a plastic container so it stays upright. Should be fine.

Comment

Well then it should be ok, as long as your drawer isnt too hot. HAHA

Ya may want to squeeze out a very small bit to be sure it isnt separated at the beginning before you start to apply it. But other then that you should be fine. I normally store mine in a fridge or freezer, but I have had some on a shelf for a year or 2 and used it and it was fine.

Comment

Working...
                      X