Numerous problems first build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Numerous problems first build

Ok guys, first off I want to say I've searched everywhere and done numerous tests on my system and decided its time to post, maybe I could get some help here.

This is my first computer build:
    Gigabyte P35C-DS3R
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
    2GB Corsair Dominator TWIN2X2048-8500C5D
    Two Seagate Barracuda HD's 320GB
    Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT 512MB

First things first, I had numerous errors when installing Windows XP Professional SP2, but it ended up installing. The BIOS for this board is very confusing to me being a novice at this. I've gotten several blue screens through its use so far but my main concern is trying to play world of warcraft. Within a minute of logging into the game I get errors that I cannot figure out. First thing I did was run seagate seatools to test my hard drives and they both failed the short test, so then I did it in BIOS and they both passed, then again in Windows and they both passed again. I also tried Prime95, the Blend and second option (not the small) both failed on the first test, saying hardware failure. The small test failed at 1hr 53mins. I've run memtest86+ and got about 140 errors during the first run. I really don't know what else to do with this system, all of these issues combined make me think it is related to the board (how could every piece of hardware have something wrong?). What are some other steps I could take in diagnosing the problems?

Re: Numerous problems first build

so.... what is your bios?

Comment

and check the voltage on the memory in the bios

Comment

Sorry I couldn't reply until now, my account needed to be validated. It is F4 BIOS. But I believe I found the problem to be a faulty RAM stick. I took one of the two sticks out and was still receiving errors and it failed memtest, then I swapped it with the one I had taken out at first and I received no errors in WoW nor in memtest. Already talking with Corsair about RMA.

Comment

hmmm.. did you see all the other posts about memory problems being related to a bug in the Bios??

I would double check your Bios version and check for a upgrade before wasting time RMA'ing a good chunk of ram.

Comment

I don't know I've heard bad things about updating BIOS. I even used a different pair of sockets for the RAM and I still received errors, gives me enough reason to think its the RAM.

Comment

Trust me, I thought the same thing... it was the bios that was the problem.

I was able to take the same ram (i thought was bad) and try it in another machine and it passed memtest flawlessly for 8 hours...

My board was a P35-DS3R.... and F11 Bios fixed all problems I could find.

Comment

How would I go about getting the F11 BIOS? Just pop in the CD and use the @BIOS utility?

Comment

And honestly how could you not definitely say its the RAM if you've gone through testing as I did and seen the results I've seen? I'm very apprehensive about updating the BIOS even tho mine is very hard to configure (no voltage readings, hard to decipher what the ram speed is, etc).

Comment

You can do whatever you want, I cannot say definitely that it isnt the ram. (The only way to know for sure is to try it in a "known to be good motherboard" - which i did with my setup.)

At this point, what do you have to lose?? I offered a suggestion for your troubleshooting based on my experience and many other post's on this forum...

I have never used the @bios before. I just downloaded the file from gigabyte's website... unpack it, drop the F# file onto a thumb drive (fat32)...... and used the q-flash utility built into the bios, that worked for me.

Comment

Does the F11 BIOS have different options compared to the F4 do you know? What was it about it that solved your problems?

Comment

the problem was memory test errors with F9 and F10...
                        i dont think there was any real problem with them
                        just for those running Memtest or whatever
                        as far as updating the bios, i have never had any problem with that @bios program, and if you did, you could switch to the other bios
                        its dual bios after all :P

good luck
                        Intel Core2Duo E6750 @ 3.52Ghz ('Conroe') - stock voltage!
                        Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 rev. 2.0
                        Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
                        Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Desktop Memory - Newegg 'Lanfest' edition
                        (running 5:6 at 527mhz on stock voltage +.05)
                        74G WD Raptor 10,000RPM
                        BFG 8800GTX OC
                        M-Audio Revolution 5.1
                        Seasonic S12 600W PSU
                        IntelĀ® PRO/1000 PT Gigabit lan

Comment

Working...
                        X