GA-x38-DQ6 with an attidude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-x38-DQ6 with an attidude

Ok, This is the last ditch effort for me b4 i throw this mobo into the bin.

First the Config:

Intel E6850 @ 3.0GHZ, 1333FSB
    Kingston HyperX KHX9600D2K2/2G x2 (this is 4x 1GB Modules)
    XFX 8800GTX (NO OC)
    Tagan Twin Engine etc 800W PSU
    Vista Ultimate x64
    Bios Version: Tried everything from F3 (Factory) to F7
    Rest of the hw doesn't really matter for this.

If i install 2x 2GB to any slot and set the DDR overvoltage, timings and freq manualy i am able run with 1066MHZ, no issues rock stable. (5-5-5-15, +0.20V's)

When I install 4x 1GB and leave voltage and timing as it is i am able to run rock stable with 800MHZ, no issues whatsoever.

If I try to raise DDR frequency to 1066, with voltages ranging from +0.20 to +0.65 with all the values inbetween, DUNG HITS THE FAN!

System fails to POST, with a neverending cycle of BIOS Autorecovering from hard drive message which is followed by another reboot and another and another. In the end it even fails to do that and i have a very dead 300 bucks mobo, I take it to local Gigabyte distributor, they rush the RMA and i get a new one in 20 minutes...

On 2 occasions, system managed to get past the POST and started booting into windows whichwelcomed me with open arms and a very cute Blue Screen, followed by data corruption on primary disk.

I have replaced all the memories and have access to several other sets, I have even replaced the psu and the CPU and in the end, just gave up and kept running it @800MHZ with a bloodoath never ever to buy anything with a Gigabyte logo again, not even a mouse.

I had long discussions with Gigabyte about this issue and they are claiming (I have no reason to doubt their honesty) They are able to run the same config with 1066MHZ, only difference is they have used an older CPU with only 1066FSB. They told me they didn't have a E6850 at hand when this happened almost 2 months ago.

I have tried leaving memory timings on auto or relaxing the timings with the same results. As I stated above, I have tried higher DDR voltages with the risk of frying 400 bucks worth of memory.

In the end, i left this rig in a corner with the only responsibility of serving video and music files to home network.

I have tried the same memories in an Asus Maximus Formula and was able to run them @ 1200MHZ without a hitch which is my main rigs mobo atm again running similar modules @ 1200MHZ.

Today I saw this forum and official gigabyte support when searching for info on F7 Bios and decided to make this post. Any comments? If you pm me, i am perfectly happy to exchange phone numbers or MSN handles for direct talk.

As an expensive piece of kit, I would like to get some of my moneys worth out of it before i discard it completely and utterly.

Re: GA-x38-DQ6 with an attidude

+0.65?

wow i think it is too high.

Comment

if you have an ATI card laying around try that.

also if your raid and using GSATA get off the GSATA.

just some things I have noticed to be problem areas for these gigabyte boards.

side note here: before I did anything I installed the F6b bios.

I am at work atm so can't give you my settings, I do know I started up with just 2 gigs mem installed because of vista problems, Yes the ram was set auto and running only 1.8 volts 800Mhz up the voltag to +0.3 verifyed 1066 was running then switched it back to auto it stayed there even after install of Vista and adding 2 more gigs of ram.

Comment

Originally posted by GIGABYTE - Janus Yeh View Post
        +0.65?

wow i think it is too high.
        Yes it is, but it was a tryout, modules survived, Board did not (usual bios failure.)

Bohoba:
        Only things connected to that weird Jmicron controller is DVD ROM and RW drives, SATA ones, i don't trust it with my HDD's which are all NCQ hence they goto ICH9R:)

What Brand/model of modules are you using?
        The ones i am using are on the approved module list at least the 512 stick ones.

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried these with 8GB?

Comment

Module Name Corsair Dominator CM2X1024-8500C5D

4 1gig running at 1066

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=295288

Bios is pretty much all on auto till I start to OC this thing :)

Field Value
          Sensor Properties
          Sensor Type ITE IT8718F (ISA 290h)
          Motherboard Name Gigabyte G31 / G33 / P31 / P35 / X38 Series
          Chassis Intrusion Detected Yes

Temperatures
          Motherboard 34 °C (93 °F)
          CPU 34 °C (93 °F)
          CPU #1 / Core #1 42 °C (108 °F)
          CPU #1 / Core #2 40 °C (104 °F)
          CPU #1 / Core #3 37 °C (99 °F)
          CPU #1 / Core #4 38 °C (100 °F)