Clear All

Re: P35C-DS3R Memory

Ya, I always suggest chkdsk ran from Cmd box, with /x /f /r switches

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      Ya, I always suggest chkdsk ran from Cmd box, with /x /f /r switches
      Lsdme,

You don't need to specify both switches /f & /r together.
      The switch /r implies /f automatically.
      GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Ohh yeah!

Ya know, I have not messed around with it in so long I guess I forgot! Thanks, I guess older tech is slipping my mind!

chkdsk /x /r

Then that is all that is needed now right? I know /x is not necessarily needed as well, but I have always added it out of habit, I guess maybe that is why I added the /f always Who knows! HAHA

Comment

Sorry for taking so long to reply. the OCZ ram I have Is 4 1 gig sticks of ATI crossfire certified High performance DDR 2 memory. Model number OCZ2A8001G. 4-4-4-15. right now I have my computer set at bios defaults with no overclocking or other changes.the cpu multiplier is on 9 for the q6600 I have.( whatever the default is, I think it is 9).
          I have noticed that on newegg they list 3 versions on DDR 3 1333. I am not sure as what model and manufacture to get or if I should just try to max out the 4 slots of DDR 2 PC1066. I am not sure when intel is coming out with it`s new i7 and AMD with its new chips as well. I dont want to sink alot of money into my current build unless i can swap over some parts when the time comes to upgrade and keep my expenses down.

Basically , what ram would you recommend, DDR 2 or 3 and make and model. it is for gaming and multimedia - general perpose .

What video cards do you recommend for my GA-P35C=DS3R VER 1.1 bios F11 ( I plan on swapping the new card over to my new build later.)

What hard drives do you recommend for the os and for storage. Right now I have 2 samsung spinpoint 500 gig sata 2 drives that are close to full.

I have an Antec quttro true power (modular) 1000 watt PSU, Antec 900 case, 5 120 mm fans 1 200mm blowhole fan. 1 92 mm vantec tornado HSF on my ultima-90 hs.
          1 HIS 3870 ati pci x 16 video card, ageia/nvidia physix card now; and a bigfoot killer nic.

Any help in what I should look at to buy now or wait until later is appriciated. I also wanted to ask your opinion about water cooling.

thanks!
          ironleg

Comment

Please fill in the above template with your exact settings you are using so I can see if anything is set wrong possibly

Well I would have to recommend DDR3 if you plan to get i7 anytime soon.

As for a video card, I cannot be of much help there as I do not game

I recommend on Seagates, but that is a personal preference. Many swear by Wester Digital, others by Seagate, so it is all really up to you for a hard drive

Watercooling, you need to do MUCH reading about before getting into, and have plenty of cash saved up. I do recommend that you do not buy a "kit"
            Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 10-21-2008, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I wanted to know if I hit print screen if it would still hold the image when i log onto windows. i have seen pictures of bios screens and i figured it was something easy or just a camara shot.
              My wife purchased a Asus 4870 X 2 because my 3870 started acting up. I have the Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R motherboard with 4 gigs of OZC ATI certified PC2 800 ram, Intel Q6600 Quad core chip with G0 stepping, Antec quttro true power 1000watt PSU, Antec 900 case with 4 120mm fans and the top 200mm blow hole fan. I was curious about the types of ram. will a 1600mhz ram module work? or what ddr 2 modules should i get . I will try for the screen shot.

thanks!

Comment

Na, you have to write it down or take a picture with your camera.

Yeah 1600 will work, but depending on your choice of speed to run with your quad 1333 may be best for you because if you do not overclock your CPU you can only run 1066 ram speed. But if you do plan to run a 400 or close FSB then 1600 would work

Comment

Ironleg, I have been using OCZ Reaper 1600 MHz DDR3 ram with my rev 1.0 P35C-DS3R for a few months now. I can almost get the ram stable at it's advertised 1600 MHz and latency of 7. The f12b bios improved things a little over the f11, but now it's not even available on the Gigabyte support site. I've ended up using the DDR3 at 1300 MHz and latency of 5 for the best performance on the ram. Keep in mind that I'm using a quad core Q9300 CPU, which is harder to get stable than a dual core. I'll bet a dual core CPU would be stable at advertised settings.

Now in terms of whether or not you actually need DDR3 ram, I would vote no. I haven't seen huge performance increases and a good set of DDR2 ram would be much cheaper and offer a slower ram speed, but lower latencies. I don't think the DDR3 ram will start paying off until it gets cheaper and we are dealing with ram speeds above 2000 MHz and latencies of 5 or 6. I'd give it another year before jumping into DDR3 ram unless you just need to have the best.

As for what other people have mentioned, I had trouble using 4x1 GB ram on this board with some types of RAM. It just wouldn't post with the 1GB sticks in some cases or wouldn't remain stable. 2x2GB ram did the trick. Also, if you do get the f12b bios, be sure to first set the bios back to optimized defaults to start with or the bios will not hold an overclock.

Comment

Originally posted by hollovoid7 View Post
                    beware, dont buy 4gb of any high speed ram (1066) unless its 2gb per chip, this board (and many like it) cannot handle it, and will drive you crazy trying to figure out why its unstable, not sure why this isnt a disclaimer on the the box, because it is a huge issue that should be advertised openly.
                    word!

Comment

Sorry it has taken so long to reply. many family emergencies and such. here is a copy or what was asked for.

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
                      CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
                      CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
                      CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [266]
                      PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [Auto]
                      C.I.A. 2__________________________ [RACING]
                      System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [AUTO] w/turbo
                      DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Auto]
                      Performance Enhance = [TURBO]
                      CAS Latency Time________________ 5 Auto
                      Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5 Auto
                      Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5 Auto
                      Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 15 Auto
                      ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 15 Auto
                      Rank Write to READ Delay________ 5 Auto
                      Write to Precharge Delay_________ 6 Auto
                      Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 42 Auto
                      Read to Precharge Delay__________ 5 Auto
                      Static tRead Value______________5 Auto 1-31
                      Static tRead Phase Adjust________5 Auto 1-31

System Voltage Control____ [Auto]
                      DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.200V]
                      PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
                      FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
                      (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
                      CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
                      No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
                      CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Enabled]
                      C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
                      x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
                      CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
                      CPU EIST Function.........................: [Enabled]
                      Virtualization Technology................: [Enabled]
                      800MHZ DDR 2
                      CL 4-4-4-15
                      CAS 4
                      TRCD 4
                      TRP 4
                      TRAS 15
                      2.2 EVP +/- 5%
                      BIOS F 12E
                      4 x 1 Gigs of OCZ ATI certified PC800 ram
                      Intel Q6600 Quad core G0 stepping
                      Asus 4870 x 2 tricooler ATI video card
                      Agia Physix card
                      Bigfoot killer nic
                      2 x samsung 500 gig SATA2 spinpoint hdd
                      1 wd cavalier black 1 tb hard drive (OS)
                      1 Asus optical DWL-1814BLT SATA
                      1 Floppy drive
                      Antec quttro true power 1000 watt PSU modular
                      Antec 900 case
                      Thermalright ultima -90 heatsink w/ 92mm vantec tornado fan attached
                      4 x 120 mm case fans
                      1 200 mm blowhole case fan.

I have tried xp 32/64, vista 32/64 os`s

I would like to get more ram and faster because my current ram ( i think) is bottlenecking my system. I have heard if you put in the 8 gigs of ram (10666 i think is the top speed for ddr 2 for my board, not sure). but what brand and model would you get for performance and stability.

ironleg

Comment

RAM is cheap these days. Go for some 1066 speed DDR2 with low latencies as possible. Latencies of 4-4-4-15 should be easy to find and not too expensive. If you look on newegg.com you'll see reviews that will tell you what are the good ones to buy. It is possible that your ram is bottlenecking your system since you have a good processor and more than enough graphics card. And even good manufacturers release bad sticks of RAM. Again, check out newegg.com. I still kind of question whether your RAM is bottlenecking your system though, but benchmarking is the only way to know for sure.

You could also try overclocking your RAM since it didn't look like you were from your settings, but that would take awhile to explain.

Comment

how do I overclock my ram? i am new to the overclocking of ram and cpu. also since the FSB is 1333 and you can overclock ram to 1600 can the FSB be overclocked and handle a 1600 fsb cpu chip? I really not sure how much to sink into my current build or just start saving for a I7 or the new AMD. one last note, what DDR2 1066 ram model whould you recommend.

Comment

RAM can be overclocked by changing the memory multiplier and / or by changing the FSB speed. To get to 1600 you will have to set your FSB to 400 (CPU Host Freq at 400) and use the highest memory multiplier. I think there are a couple different 2:1 mem multipliers to pick from. If one doesn't work then try the other. The memory multiplier tells the memory to run at some multiple of the FSB speed. If you do overclock the FSB then you can try giving the FSB and GMCH another 0.1 or 0.2 volts above the default to keep the FSB stable. It looks like you were already doing that. And keep in mind that quad core CPU's are harder to overclock stably than dual core. I couldn't quite get my DDR3 to 1600 at its rated latency, which I probably could have with a dual core. Play around with RAM and CPU overvoltages too if you have problems with a stable overclock, but I wouldn't push the CPU voltage too much higher for fear of breaking it. Check forums to see what voltages people are giving the Q6600 without frying it.

I ended up running my DDR3 RAM at 1275 and latency of 4 instead of 1600 and latency of 7 since this gave me the best performance from the RAM. Faster isn't always better when it comes to RAM. The RAM latencies you run at affect performance just as much.

Also, when overclocking try to turn off as many of the fancy BIOS menu options that you don't need as you can (like virtualization, CIA2, etc.. unless you actually are using it). And then save your BIOS settings with F12 or F11 (i forget which) when you get rid of the options you don't need so that you can load all the settings back up again easily if the motherboard won't post with an overclock attempt and reverts back to defaults to post.

Personally, I would stick with DDR2 RAM for now and save up for an i7 motherboard, CPU, and fast DDR3 RAM. DDR2 is crazy cheap right now and the DDR3 and i7 stuff will be dropping in price to more reasonable levels in the next 6 months. Check out newegg for good DDR2 memory at low prices. Just buy the lowest latency 1067 or 800 RAM you can afford that has good reviews. Most 800 speed RAM can be overclocked anyways and often offers lower latencies than the 1067 RAM. The 800 speed RAM you already have looks like it could be doing just fine for you. Also, it's a good idea to buy two 2GB RAM sticks instead of four 1GB sticks since some people (including me) can't get this motherboard to post with four 1GB sticks. Or you could go with four 2GB sticks and switch to 64 bit windows if you are really hard core :)

Comment

I am not set on a price yet, I have been looking on Newegg and I do not know what brand would work the best with my ga-p35c-ds3r motherboard. I also see other ram speeds above the 8500. can my motherboard handle higher DDR2 ram speeds? I am concerned about what would be the best brand and model without throwing money away. I am looking for 4 2 gig sticks to fill up the 8 gig total of DDR2. I have checked the gigabyte memory list and it is kinda sparse when addressing my concerns towards a purchase.
                              Any Advice on the proper brand and model that would be the best in practicality and work in gaming ( worried about bsod and stability issues).

Comment

yeah, I have ben having problems with the 1 gig sticks and wasnt sure if I should get 8 gigs of ddr2 1066 or 4 gigs of ddr3 1333. any ideas?
                                I have been looking and I am leaning towards ddr3 1333. I only need 2 x 2 gig sticks to top out my ram. my FSB is 1333 and I would like to find the very lowest latency ddr3 ram I can. Any suggestions are greatly appriciated.
                                Last edited by ironleg; 02-12-2009, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X