all of a sudden-vid card error 10...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• all of a sudden-vid card error 10...

This morning I booted up to my nvidia card giving me an error code 10 (device not funtioning) in the device mgr. It's a 7950gt and BFG tech says error 10 is a windows problem or possibly insufficient PS. Uninstalled and reinstalled nvida drivers, same problem. Got plenty of power, disabled my optical drives just to make sure, rebooted to same problem. Read how it might be that the bios is not assigning an irq to the vga--can't find that option in the bios (GA X38 DQ6 btw). Reset my bios to optimal settings, rebooted and the vid card was back in business. Went back to the bios to see what setting change made it work again, and it turns out that switching my 4 hdd's to ide mode from AHCI is what did it.
    However, I'd been running in AHCI mode since I got the board and had no problems. I'm still guessing it's something to do with IRQ assignment, and not using the AHCI freed one up for the vid card, but I'd love to hear from our resident Gigabyte experts on this...running bios F6b, been running it for a while, having changed anything, hardware or software, that would help to narrow this strange problem down.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Re: all of a sudden-vid card error 10...

did you try another VGA?

Comment

Sure, J.Y., one of the first things I did. Same problem. In fact, running my alternate card now. The only time I don't have the vid problem is by not running AHCI mode on my sata drives. Tell me, am I losing hdd transfer speed or anything other than hot swapping by using the ide emulation mode?
      Anyway, once I finish up with these last few wedding projects I'm doing I'll run a windows repair and see if that takes care of my video problem.
      Thanks for the response.

Comment

If you're overclocking, make sure you set the PCI-Express speed to 100 and not Auto.

Last edited by bugoff; 12-18-2007, 12:35 PM.

Comment

bugoff--when I first had the problem I first reset the bios to standard clockings, and I always do set the pcie bus to 100, even with standard clock, just to be sure. Thanks for the response, though. What's your opinion on using the sata drives in non AHCI mode? Think I'm losing any performance? I haven't benchmarked them yet, but I don't notice any difference with my rendering speeds...

Comment

AHCI can make you get all sata2 function, such as NCQ, but I don't think it will effect your performance too much.

Comment

Working...
            X