P35-DS4 fan problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: P35-DS4 fan problems

P35-DS3R F11 has the same problem. In SYS_FAN2 arctic cooling 120mm PWM fan and many many other 120mm fans cant run. Fans are dead until windows will not be uploaded and started up SPEEDFAN. SPEEDFAN can adjust this fan to 90% nominal speed. But many people dont use SPEEDFAN or use linux system. I think voltage is to low on SYS_FAN2 and fan can't start. Please fix it.
    Last edited by szympek; 01-13-2008, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Do you need to disable the automatic fan control in bios in order to use speedfan?
      GA-Z77X-UD5H # F16-mod8
      i5-3570K # 4.1Ghz
      32GB Geil DDR3-1600 Evo Leggera
      Gigabyte GTX 660 OC
      Seasonic G-550

Comment

I think some definite answer from gigabyte is in place.
        Is any hope for usable PWM/Voltage CPU and SYS_FAN2 control in future BIOS and/or EasyTune?
        Even linear PWM control for both of these fans is usable,
        but i'm pretty sure that user-adjusted non-linear response of fan speed is not beyond ability of BIOS programmers.

Is this really too much we want? Two PWM fans user-controlled by the motherboard was obviously intended (and advertised) by gigabyte, but none of them works now (F11 bios).

Or maybe we could give up and buy fan controller,
        and gigabyte might remove useless fan connectors
        and lower price instead?
        P67A-UD4-B3 F2
        i5-2500K
        4x2GB Kingston HyperX XMP-1600 CL9
        8800 GTX
        Intel SSD 40GB, WD Green 1TB, 2xSamsung 400GB SATA RAID1
        Antec P182 + CP850 CXP

Comment

Originally posted by szympek View Post
          P35-DS3R F11 has the same problem. In SYS_FAN2 arctic cooling 120mm PWM fan and many many other 120mm fans cant run.
          Same issue with newest GA-EP35-DS3 and BIOS F2.
          Installed an Arctic Cooling 120mm PWM fan, plugged it into SYS_FAN2 and fan didn't start.
          What is the use of having a connection on the motherboard for a PWM-fan if the connection doesn't work???

Comment

Originally posted by xit2050 View Post
            Same issue with newest GA-EP35-DS3 and BIOS F2.
            Installed an Arctic Cooling 120mm PWM fan, plugged it into SYS_FAN2 and fan didn't start.
            What is the use of having a connection on the motherboard for a PWM-fan if the connection doesn't work???
            Have you tried SpeedFan? On my P35-DS4 I have disabled automatic fan speed in BIOS, changed PWM mode to "Software controlled" in SpeedFan/Configure/Advanced/IT8718F and now I'm getting full range of speeds on my Scythe Kama 120mm PWM fan connected to SYS_FAN2.
            P67A-UD4-B3 F2
            i5-2500K
            8800 GTX
            Antec P182 + CP850 CXP

Comment

Originally posted by va00 View Post
              I think some definite answer from gigabyte is in place.
              Is any hope for usable PWM/Voltage CPU and SYS_FAN2 control in future BIOS and/or EasyTune? [...]

I had the same issue on my rev2.1 GA-P35C-DS3R (F10 bios), which I RMA'd last Friday due to an unrelated problem. But before that I e-mailed Gigabyte about this. Below is my question and their response, which arrived today. I can't check the CTRL-F1 thing as I am motherboardless at the moment, but think I tried that and it didn't work. I suspect they just blew me off. Can someone please confirm?

---

MY QUESTION:

Hello,

I am trying to control CPU fan speed using standard 3-pin fan connected to the CPU fan header on my rev 2.1 motherboard. According to the manual (page 51), there is supposed to be a BIOS setting called "Smart FAN Control Mode" which can be set to Voltage for control of 3-pin fans. However, I can't find this setting in my F10 BIOS.

My CPU fan is currently running at full speed and is unbearably loud. Changing settings in Easytune has no effect on fan speed. How am I supposed to control fan speed on my motherboard?

Thank you!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Model Name : GA-P35C-DS3R(rev. 2.1)
              --------------------------
              M/B Rev : 2.1
              BIOS Ver : F10
              Serial No. :
              Purchase Dealer :
              -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              VGA Brand : Nvidia Model : 8800GT
              CPU Brand : Intel Model : E8400 Speed : 3.0 GHz
              Operation System : Win XP SP : 2
              Memory Brand : Corsair Type : DDRII
              Memory Size : 4 GB Speed :
              Power Supply : 420 W

GIGABYTE'S RESPONSE:

Hi,
              To see all advanced settings in the BIOS you should first press CTRL+F1 at the main BIOS menu.
              Recommended BIOS settings for fan control:
              4pin fan connector (on the fan): use PWM or Voltage
              3pin fan connector (on the fan): use Voltage

From what I can see there have been some problems reported with speed control on 3-pin fans and some CPU models. If that is the case for you, then it it hopefully solved with the next BIOS release for this motherboard - I do not know when this will be released, so you should check the BIOS page for this motherboard for any update. You might want to try using a 4-pin fan for speed control.

Best Regards,
              ===========================
              Technical Support Team
              Gigabyte Technology
              ===========================

Comment

Good news nicke2323. I hoped this issue will be resolved in future BIOS. We will see.. I'm curious what they intend to do, easytune-like control with temperature thresholds
                and linear fan response would be ideal. I hope it will not be
                another hard-coded settings, this way it is simply impossible to satisfy all of users.
                P67A-UD4-B3 F2
                i5-2500K
                8800 GTX
                Antec P182 + CP850 CXP

Comment

When is Janus going to reply something in this topic?

I was having the same discussion with GigaByte tech suppport and I have been waiting a week now for a reply to my last question...
                  Are they are out of ideas?

Comment

Sorry, in my test didn't have issue with sys_fan2

give me a picture with your setup?

janus.yeh@gigabyte.com.tw

Comment

My sys_2 fan also does similar, I do control it now with a fan controller, but if I do not use the controller the fans starts about 10 seconds after everything else, and usually is ALOT slower.

Comment

Originally posted by GIGABYTE - Janus Yeh View Post
                        Sorry, in my test didn't have issue with sys_fan2

give me a picture with your setup?
                        Picture of my bios?

The email ID's I have running at GGTS are 582695 and 584139 (picture of my bios can be found there).

Comment

Sorry I Am Not In Ggts Team, So I Can Not Find Your Info Out.

Can You Mail Me? Include Bios Setup And How You Set Up Your Fan.

Comment

I am really fed up with GGTS.
                            It took them 3 weeks to come up with this answer:
                            Indeed, after checking with our engineer it seems that the GA-EP35-DS3(rev. 2.1) does not support 3PIN smart fan that is why the option is not displayed.
                            It is circuit design.
                            Excuse me?

This was never about 3-pin connections, the SYS_FAN2 has a 4-pin connection.
                            I never suggested that SYS_FAN1 and PWR_FAN (both 3-pin connections) should support smart fan.

Bottom line: the SYS_FAN2 on the EP35-DS3 motherboard does not work with a 4-pin PWM fan and there is no smart fan option in the bios to control this fan (as you can see here in this picture of my Health Status page).
                            The P35-DS3 on the contrary does have this option (http://www.easycom.com.ua/data/mboar...236/img/b5.jpg).
                            These are exactly the same motherboards.
                            Why????
                            Last edited by xit2050; 04-11-2008, 02:20 AM.

Comment

New reply from GGTS:
                              Please, not that the new series of DS3 and DS4 does not have this option.
                              It's the new design. and confirmed from our Bios engineer.
                              So the Bios setting of your MB are correct.
                              That still does not explain why a PWM fan does not work when it is connected to the SYS_FAN2.
                              If the bios settings are correct, then what is the use of having a 4-pin SYS_FAN2 on the motherboard if it cannot be used with a 4-pin fan and even if it should work, how is the fan to be controlled if there is no such option in the bios?

In other words, they crippled the new versions of these boards without telling the customers.

Comment

I am building a new PC with a P35-DS3R Rev 1.0 board. I thought it was bad that I had the older version, but given the last post, maybe I'm better off with this one! This MB has the same 4 fan connectors that most of these boards seem to have: CPU and SYS2 with 4pin and SYS1 and PWR with 3 pin. All my fans are only 3pin (non PWM) fans, but I would like to be able to control their speed from software (eg speedfan). I was very pleased to discover that the CPU fan connector can operate in 3pin/voltage variable speed mode as well has 4pin/PWM. Janus has already said that only the CPU fan header is speed controlled automatically by the bios, but can anyone tell me how many of the other fan connectors can be controlled from software, while using 3pin fans? va00 reported that they did get SYS2 to work properly with a PWM fan on a DS4. Will it also work with a 3pin fan, like CPU does, and on the DS3R board? What the 2 3pin headers? Can they be controlled with SpeedFan?

As for crippling, I've seen worse. My current PC is a pre-built retail PC (a mistake I won't be making again - I was too busy to build one at the time) and on that one the MB has the chip and circuitry to allow software fan speed control of one channel only, but the bios was programmed to continuously set it to one specific speed (not temp dependent - just constant). You could change the speed using speed fan, but the bios changed it back straight away. In Linux I wrote a script to continuously set the speed to what I wanted, faster than the bios could change it back :o) Not possible in windows, which I mostly use. Linux FTW!

Comment

Working...
                                X