P35-DS4 fan problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P35-DS4 fan problems

I have the before mentioned motherboard with F9 bios. I have a P182 case. I just installed three new fans. One in my Tuniq Tower, one in the back as exhaust, and one in the top of the case as exhaust. All three fans are connected to their own fan control. These are Silverstone FM123 fans. They run at 800 - 2600 RPM. At full click they are quite noisy. The top fan and the CPU fan when put at max are pushing around the listed max and you can really hear them. The back case fan when I turn it to full it's barely audible. Bios keeps jumping between 0 and 1318 RPM's. It will not spin as fast as the other two. The CPU one is hooked into the CPU power jumper, the Top case one is hooked into the AUX Fan 1 connector, and the one in question is hooked into the AUX Fan 2 connector at the far side of the motherboard. Was thinking of plugging it into the Northbridge connector but wasn't sure if that was a good idea. Any idea why it's acting this way? That's the one I really want pushing air. I have the bios set to not manage any of the fans. All fan controls are disabled in the Bios.

JR
    CPU
    [email protected] G0 Lapped
    Motherboard
    GA-P35-DS4
    Memory
    2GB OCZ DDR2 6400 CL 3 FlexXLC 3-4-4-12
    Graphics Card
    XFX 8800 GTS
    Power Supply
    OCZ GameXStream 700W

Re: P35-DS4 fan problems

By the way, I moved the fan connector to the Northbridge fan connector and it started running as expected. Does this mean something is wrong with the Aux Fan 2 connector, or is it somehow controlling th fan speed even though I have it disabled?
    CPU
    Motherboard
    GA-P35-DS4
    Memory
    Graphics Card
    XFX 8800 GTS
    Power Supply
    OCZ GameXStream 700W

Comment

Love talking to myself here, however just an update. I have confirmed on another forum that three other people tried the secondary aux fan connector and had the same problem. Any comments Gigabyte?

Also as a side note, can you use the Power Supply fan connector for a standard case fan with the assumption that that one is working correctly?

JR
      CPU
      Motherboard
      GA-P35-DS4
      Memory
      Graphics Card
      XFX 8800 GTS
      Power Supply
      OCZ GameXStream 700W

Comment

why not get a molex to 3/4 pin adapter and run the fan from that?
        i personally prefer to run fans that way unless they are being speed controlled by the mobo... less current being pulled from the board that way
        good luck
        Intel Core2Duo E6750 @ 3.52Ghz ('Conroe') - stock voltage!
        Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 rev. 2.0
        Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
        Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Desktop Memory - Newegg 'Lanfest' edition
        (running 5:6 at 527mhz on stock voltage +.05)
        74G WD Raptor 10,000RPM
        BFG 8800GTX OC
        M-Audio Revolution 5.1
        Seasonic S12 600W PSU
        Intel® PRO/1000 PT Gigabit lan

Comment

Originally posted by f-town View Post
          why not get a molex to 3/4 pin adapter and run the fan from that?
          I have plenty of open connections on my power supply and have both connectors on the fan. When you are at a 50% overclcok on your system, you like to know what your fans are set to. I have a manual knob on the back of the computer to adjust the speed and the only way I know the speed is in speedfan. If I can't read the RPM's off the motherboard sensors then do not know what I have it set at to obtain different cooling levels.

JR
          CPU
          Motherboard
          GA-P35-DS4
          Memory
          Graphics Card
          XFX 8800 GTS
          Power Supply
          OCZ GameXStream 700W

Comment

set your fan speed by ET5?

Comment

Originally posted by GIGABYTE - Janus Yeh View Post
              set your fan speed by ET5?
              I have fan speed knobs. I overclock and do not want the system trying to figure out the right fan speed for my various overclocks. Don't beat around the issue. Something is wrong with that second auxilary fan connector. It is providing limited power to that connector which is causing the fan so spin slower than it should. None of the other connections do that.
              CPU
              Motherboard
              GA-P35-DS4
              Memory
              Graphics Card
              XFX 8800 GTS
              Power Supply
              OCZ GameXStream 700W

Comment

If you think it is a hardware issue
                you can RMA it

Thank You

Comment

Originally posted by GIGABYTE - Janus Yeh View Post
                  If you think it is a hardware issue
                  you can RMA it

Thank You
                  Counting my recent thread, " GA-P35-DS4 Rev 2 has poor fan control", this makes two reports of SYS FAN 2 not supplying adequate power. I think it's unlikely this problem will be solved by RMA. It seems more likely that a BIOS fix is in order. At least the F9 BIOS fixed the failure of the CPU fan to spin up, and like the SYS FAN 2 header, the CPU fan header is 4-pin PWM. I'm well aware there is no BIOS setting to control SYS FAN 2, but that doesn't mean the BIOS isn't the common problem here.

Comment

Originally posted by tima092384 View Post
                    Counting my recent thread, " GA-P35-DS4 Rev 2 has poor fan control", this makes two reports of SYS FAN 2 not supplying adequate power. I think it's unlikely this problem will be solved by RMA. It seems more likely that a BIOS fix is in order. At least the F9 BIOS fixed the failure of the CPU fan to spin up, and like the SYS FAN 2 header, the CPU fan header is 4-pin PWM. I'm well aware there is no BIOS setting to control SYS FAN 2, but that doesn't mean the BIOS isn't the common problem here.
                    I agree with you whole heartedly. Not sure why the support here is less than adequate, however in Gigabyte's defense, most all motherboard manufacturer's support is less than acceptable. Must be something to do with the quantity of boards sold and the number of things that can go wrong with them. When you have numerous people with this problem, RMA's aren't going to help. I'm going to try and use the power supply fan connector and see how that works since my power supply doesn't physically use it as it has it's own internal fan speed sensor.

JR
                    CPU
                    Motherboard
                    GA-P35-DS4
                    Memory
                    Graphics Card
                    XFX 8800 GTS
                    Power Supply
                    OCZ GameXStream 700W

Comment

Originally posted by jriker1 View Post
                      I agree with you whole heartedly. Not sure why the support here is less than adequate, however in Gigabyte's defense, most all motherboard manufacturer's support is less than acceptable. Must be something to do with the quantity of boards sold and the number of things that can go wrong with them. When you have numerous people with this problem, RMA's aren't going to help. I'm going to try and use the power supply fan connector and see how that works since my power supply doesn't physically use it as it has it's own internal fan speed sensor.

JR
                      I ended up abandoning SYS FAN 2 and running my four Nexus 120mm fans off the two three-pin fan headers with the help of Y-cables. I use two FanMate 2's to control speed. It works nicely, but I did have to reroute my cables.

Comment

Yeah, same here. Good thing my arctic cooling pwm case fan comes with this PWM sharing thing... so both are connected to CPU_FAN and are controlled by smartfan.

Originally posted by tima092384 View Post
                        I ended up abandoning SYS FAN 2 and running my four Nexus 120mm fans off the two three-pin fan headers with the help of Y-cables. I use two FanMate 2's to control speed. It works nicely, but I did have to reroute my cables.

Comment

Since many issues seem to be finally fixed with F11 Bios, i think it's time to bump up the issue with Sys Fan 2 again.
                          Fans plugged to this connector don't get enough power, i recently tested with a regular 3-pin 8cm fan under F11:

Sys 2 : 1900 rpm
                          Sys 1 : 2700 rpm
                          (i tried a pwm fan too, that one didn't even start to spin)

So i thought it might be controlled by the Bios, but that's not the case, same speed under load and idle.
                          Since it's also 4-pin PWM, i'm thinking this connector is actually supposed to be controlled by the Bios but has been omitted in the bios-programming.
                          (i don't get why so many companies slack on the bios/firmware programming, it's sometimes a difference of only 2 minutes worktime, what's that compared to developing a whole motherboard?)

I know i can just abandon it and connect directly to Power Supply or NorthBridge connector, i do however like to monitor the speeds.
                          GA-Z77X-UD5H # F16-mod8
                          i5-3570K # 4.1Ghz
                          32GB Geil DDR3-1600 Evo Leggera
                          Gigabyte GTX 660 OC
                          Seasonic G-550

Comment

I also have annoying problems with PWM fans. CPU fan
                            speed can be adjusted using EasyTune, but since bios F8
                            is seems that I cant go below some threshold value
                            and fan always spins at approx. 40% duty or above , regardles of SmartFan settings. Behavior of SYS_FAN2 connector
                            is beyond user control, and therefore useless. A have also noticed, as others, that fan connected to SYS_FAN2 never reach full speed.

Actually, I expected full control over all fans. In reality
                            we got only poor control (linear) of the CPU fan speed.
                            P67A-UD4-B3 F2
                            i5-2500K
                            4x2GB Kingston HyperX XMP-1600 CL9
                            8800 GTX
                            Intel SSD 40GB, WD Green 1TB, 2xSamsung 400GB SATA RAID1
                            Antec P182 + CP850 CXP

Comment

I think maybe I am seeing the same problem as Va00. I upgraded yesterday to F11, and now my CPU fan speed has increased considerably. Previously, with F6 or F7, the idle speed was around 400 rpm, and the load speed around 900. Now, with Smart Fan Control Method set to Auto, the speed is constantly around 1150 rpm, which is nearly the maximum for my S-Flex 1200. Has any one any experience of setting to Legacy? I like the cool temperatures you get at these speeds, but I prefer the quiet I had before. Oh yes, and as I use linux instead of Windows, EasyTune is not an option.

Comment

Working...
                              X