Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P35-dq6 Problem With Mch Voltage> +0.2

Hi

I have the P35-DQ6 DDRII rev1 board and a Q6600 CPU. All the high quality components and impressive CPU PWM design + silent pipe makes it run super cool and ideal for quad core overclocking. So its a great board.

But there is this annoying problem with GA P35-DQ6 when overclocking. Everytime the MCH voltage is set to > +0.2 (0.25 for example) usually after a reboot the PCIEX16 will electronically scale down to PCIEX1 as reported in CPU-Z/Everest and also visible by heavy decrease in graphics performance. I tried F4 / F5 and F6 bios. Restarting the system or shutting down/powering back up doesnt solve the problem.

If you set the MCH voltage to +0.2 or lower it works fine and never falls back to PCIEX1.

It has been confirmed by many GA P35-DQ6 owners that overclock their CPU including me.

Is GIGABYTE aware of this problem? Do they have a plan to fix it?

You can easily recreate the issue I described above.

It works like a switch:

MCH V > +0.2===> PCIEX16 falls back to PCIEX1
    MCH V =< +0.2 ===>PCIEX16 works fine.

The problem is you may need more than +0.2V on MCH to have a stable overclock .

To make things clear what I mean by the PCIEX16 slot is the upper most (closest to the CPU) PCIE slot.

Thank you.
    Last edited by EreK; 10-24-2007, 03:27 PM.

Re: P35-dq6 Problem With Mch Voltage&gt; +0.2

Hi EreK

I guess maybe that is because you + too many mch voltage.
    sometimes when we over mch voltage, we also need to over PCI-E voltage to make it better, Could you try to over PCI-E voltage at the same time?

Thank you

Janus

Comment

Originally posted by GIGABYTE - Janus Yeh View Post
      Hi EreK

I guess maybe that is because you + too many mch voltage.
      sometimes when we over mch voltage, we also need to over PCI-E voltage to make it better, Could you try to over PCI-E voltage at the same time?

Thank you

Janus
      Thank you for the reply.

Good point Janus.

Yes I tried setting PCIE voltage to +0.2 and +0.25. Also I tried setting the PCIE bus frequency from 100 to 120. You may get one lucky system boot to windows with PCIEX16 but after a reboot it jumps back to PCIEX1.

Here is all the voltage settings I use:

417x9

PCIE Freq:105-120
      Vcore:1.5875
      PCIE Voltage: +0.2
      VDIMM: +0.35
      FSB Voltage: +0.35
      MCH Voltage: +0.2 (works good) MCH Voltage: +0.3 (PCIEX1 problem)
      Last edited by EreK; 10-25-2007, 01:57 AM.

Comment

Dear EreK

I talked this with our RD, yes this will have this issue in p35 chipset MCH Voltage limited .
        sometimes when over MCH Voltage: more than 0.2v, your system can even search no VGA card. we suggest you can just +0.2v for overclock. if you want overclock more, you can over Voltage for cpu, ram..., it will be better.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation Janus.

So it's an Intel P35 chipset limitation. Unfortunately I found out that my overclock is not stable with MCH at +0.2. I need more than that to run my CPU at 417x9 fully stable. So I guess I have to move on to an X38 mainboard.

Thanks again for taking time and getting the information from gigabyte RD team.

Regards,
          Last edited by EreK; 10-30-2007, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Could you try to set your PCI-E Frequency at 101 or 110Mhz with MCH at +0.3 ? It seems to be the solution to this problem according to other forums...

Comment

Working...
            X