Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P35c-DS3R Q6600 G0 - Prime95 fail at stock values

Hi,

My system was running stable (although not stressed it much) so I decided to run Prime95 25.4 at stock values to make sure the CPU was fine before I started overclocking.

The first time I run it 2 cores failed at around 1 hour. Temps seemed to get up to around 58 for 2 cores and 53 for the other 2.

I had my memory running at 12 4 4 4 at default voltage so thought this may be the cause and changed it back to the default 15 5 5 5.

2nd time I ran Prime it failed within 1 minute on 1 core.

I ran it a 3rd time and this ran for around 30 minutes with 3 different cores failing.

I thought it maybe the C1R, TM2 and EIST so I disabled them all and ran it for a 4th time.

I left this overnight and this again had failed on 3 cores 1 core after 12minutes and the other 2 cores after 1 hour.

I am really upset as I have been waiting ages to build this rig and have bought some good quality components (in sig)

One thing I noticed is that the CPU voltage in bios is 1.2625V, but in CPU-Z it was between 1.184 and 2.000V - which to me is very low!!!!!!!

I have 2 screenies:-

Please help me,
    SpLuFF

PC Rig
    -------
    P182 case
    500w Seasonic S12-500
    Q6600 G0
    Noctua NH-U12F cpu cooler
    2x1GB Corsair Twinx XMS2, DDR2 PC-6400
    Gigabyte P3C-DS3R rev 1.1 Bios F2
    X-fi Fatal1ty sound card
    750 Gb Western Digital WD7500AAKS
    Samsung SH-S203 DVDRW

Re: P35c-DS3R Q6600 G0 - Prime95 fail at stock values

Hi!
    Very strange, but are you sure about your ram. I would suggest to run a memtest. Those ram's from corsair, ocz & co ... often like to run at a higher vdimm. "1.8 V" is standard, but sometimes they are specified for more and do indeed need more voltage to work properly. But be carefull with the vdimm setting in bios because it isn't quite sure for the moment, that the vdimm setting works correctly. (i mean you set +0.2v for example, and you should have 2.00 v but everest reads something else). So try to raise the vdimm in small steps to the specified maximum vdimm from corsair for this type of ram.
    Greetz

Comment

Will you try to use another CPU? and what CPU Multi-Threading setup in BIOS?

Comment

Thanks Janus for the response.........

I have updated the bios to F4 (seemed to go okay)
        Reset to optimal settings
        Changed the memory voltage to +0.3
        Changed memory settings to 4 4 4 12
        Changed cpu voltage to 1.3
        Changed cpu/ram ratio to 2
        C1E TM2 and EIST disabled
        Changed bus speed to 300
        My CPU is at 2700......

It ran Prime blend test for 19hours solid and memtest ran for 10 hours with no fails....... Temperatures maximum when stressed at these new settings are 60oC.

I ran Prime test - Inplace and it failed after 20minutes......... I have decided to run that this morning again before I went to work so wont find out if it failed again till tonight.

a. Setting the memory to +0.3 is correct isnt it (the corsair is rated at 2.1V) ? I dont want to OVER VAULT my memory because the gigabyte board is not setting it correctly? Can you confirm that it will be fine???????????

b. Any ideas why Prime95 now works on blend for 19hours, but then failed on Prime95 - Inplace large FFTs?

c. If it has failed when I get home tonight again - does it mean there is something wrong?

Comment

Dear spluff
          If you don't want to OVER VAULT your memory you can set it with normal.
          And about Prime95, i didn't use it before, so I have no idea about why it has failed. maybe i can try it, and when get answer i will let you know ASAP.

Comment

but what is NORMAL? my memory needs 2.1V and I have read a lot that setting it to +.3 in the bios will actually put higher than that into it?

Is this correct?

Comment

Dear spluff

If you setup it NORMAL, it's mean system will auto setup your memory voltage.

But if you don't think it is a good idea, you can setup your memory voltage to +0.3v, and check it in DDR18V item under the PC Health Status.

Comment

Originally posted by GIGABYTE - Janus Yeh View Post
                Dear spluff

If you setup it NORMAL, it's mean system will auto setup your memory voltage.

But if you don't think it is a good idea, you can setup your memory voltage to +0.3v, and check it in DDR18V item under the PC Health Status.

UPDATE:

I have completed tests with both sticks of memory 1 at a time:-

Everything set at stock (slack timings):-
                memory @ 5 5 5 18 @ 2.1V

STICK1 (PASSED)
                ---------
                Memtest (2 runs - 40mins runtime) - PASS
                Memtest (Test no5 - 1 Hour runtime) - PASS
                Prime95 (In-place test 18hrs runtine) - PASS
                Prime95 (Blend test 90mins runtime) - PASS
                Prime95 (Small test 60mins runtime) - PASS
                Company of Heroes (1st mission) - PASS

STICK2 - FAIL
                --------
                Memtest (Test no5 - 1 Hour runtime) - PASS
                Prime95 (Small test 60mins runtime) - FAIL (Blue screened at 65mins)
                Prime95 (Small test 6 hours) - PASS
                Prime95 (Inplace test 4 mins) - FAIL (all 4 cores failed @ 4min 4min 3min 8min)
                Prime95 (Inplace test 1 mins) - FAIL
                Prime95 (Inplace test 2 mins) - FAIL

As you can see memory stick 2 failed a few times in Prime95 and blue screened once. It did pass memtest for 1 hour.

I guess its either faulty memory or faulty motherboard.........

Janus any ideas?

Thanks

Comment

Hi spluff,
                  I guess you gave the already by yourself !
                  If one is ok and the other not, than it's clearly one module.

Comment

ANOTHER UPDATE:

I had tested the memory (read earlier posts) and 1 stick failed the other passed in Prime. The voltage was set to +0.3 (the memory is rated for 2.1V (1.8+0.3))

I dropped the voltage to +0.0 in the bios and the memory that was crashing passed Prime for 3 hours. I then decided to up the timings to 3 3 3 12 and it worked again for 9 hours last night. Bear in mind this is the memory that was crashing within 1 minute.

I have heard that this board may overvolt memory (absolutely crazy!!!!!) - so maybe one of the memory sticks dont like this higher memory voltage (especially if it the motherboard is overvolting it).

Also thinking back I had the memory voltage on AUTO when doing the first tests so maybe the errors occured before as the motherboard was AUTO putting it on a higher volt? I know im clutching at straws here.........

Comment

Working...
                    X