What is Virtual Dual Bios?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Virtual Dual Bios?

Found this forum while searching the net. The question is in the title.

I think I understood what the "true" dual bios feature is after reading this article on THG :
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2001/12/...oser_scrutiny/

However, so far I am unable to locate any information on the "virtual" dual bios (either on the net or on the gigabyte site). Is this the [end] button during bios post that was mentioned in this thread : (http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthread.php?t=25051)?

If not, would appreciate some information as to what it does since I just ordered a p35c-ds3r. Also, is this feature separate from the and GIGABYTE BIOS Setting Recovery Technology feature?

Thanks.

Re: What is Virtual Dual Bios?

Hi

Virtual Dual Bios mean this MB have a real BIOS and support GIGABYTE Xpress BIOS Rescue Technology, That is a tool that automatically recovers damaged BIOSes (plural for BIOS) to their original state.

You can get the information from :
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/..._explained.htm
    Thank You.

Comment

Hi Janus,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Is the copy that is stored on the HDD done automatically? Or is it something the user has to do explicitly after initial boot?

Comment

Dear pakru

It is automatically, so user no nees to do anything explicitly after initial boot.

Thank you

Comment

I have

Antec 180 case
          GA-P35C-DS3R rev 1.0 (BIOS F2)
          E6320 Dual Core
          2x 1Gb Kingston 667 RAM (its on the Gigabyte compatible list)
          Asus 7300GS Graphics
          2 x SATA2 Samsung Spinpoint 160Gb drives
          AeroPower 550W PSU

I have the BIOS set to Optimised Defaults
          If I change CIA2 to anything above Cruise in my BIOS and reboot the PC, it fails to boot. The screen doesnt display and the whole system just sits there with the fans spinning.

Now, I thought the MB BIOS should reset itself automatically in the event of the system not booting?

Also, any idea why CIA2 wont allow me to go past Cruise?

TIA

Harry

Comment

Did you over clocking?

Comment

Originally posted by GIGABYTE - Janus Yeh View Post
              Did you over clocking?
              If you mean, have I been overclocking the system? Well no.

All I have done is set Load Optimzed Defaults
              Then I went to CIA2 and tried a setting Cruise. When I do this and reboot, the whole system fails to boot, as mentiopned in my previous post.

The only way to correct the problem is by opening the box and resetting the BIOS manually, something I would expect the Virtual Dual BIOS to do...

Any ideas on why its not booting and why the Virtual Dual BIOS isnt resetting itself automatically?

many thanks

Harry
              Last edited by HarryHedgehog; 08-31-2007, 04:51 AM.

Comment

Dear Harry

About you can not change CIA2 setup , I don't reall have this problem in my platform. Please make sure that your CPU is capable to handle overclocking frequently. Please lower the percentage of acceleration or disable CPU Intelligent Accelerator function if your system encounters unstable state.And when CPU Intelligent Accelerator 2 function is enabled, the "CPU Host Clock Control" will be disabled; thus you are unable to adjust "CPU Host Frequency".

Why the Virtual Dual BIOS isnt resetting itself automatically? AS I know
                Virtual Dual BIOS will resetting itself automatically, when your original BIOS"Really broken" I think It is not convenient enough for you. I will talk this to our RD to process this problem.

Thank You.

Comment

Originally posted by GIGABYTE - Janus Yeh View Post
                  About you can not change CIA2 setup , I don't reall have this problem in my platform. Please make sure that your CPU is capable to handle overclocking frequently. Please lower the percentage of acceleration or disable CPU Intelligent Accelerator function if your system encounters unstable state.And when CPU Intelligent Accelerator 2 function is enabled, the "CPU Host Clock Control" will be disabled; thus you are unable to adjust "CPU Host Frequency".

I think I understand. I noticed that in the manual the description of the CPU Host Clock Control is:

Enables or disables the control of CPU host clock. Enabled will allow the CPU Host Frequency item below to be configurable. Note: If your system fails to boot after overclocking, please wait for 20 seconds to allow for automated system reboot, or clear the CMOS values to reset the board to default values. (Default: Disabled)

This is why I was expecting the system to correct itself when it failed to boot after changing the CIA2. As you said the BIOS isnt "really broken" when I set the CIA2 so I can understand why I have to reset the BIOS myself. It would be great if the MB could recognise a failed boot and reset itself automatically (my old Asus a7v333-x could ).

Now, I would expect an E6320 to be at least a little overclockable. Each core is currentlly running at 27C (31C under load).

According to a number of articles I found on google, the CPU is capable of up to 2.3GHz (it is a 1.86GHz cpu with 4mb cache)

many thanks

Harry
                  Last edited by HarryHedgehog; 08-31-2007, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X