Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Welcome to GIGABYTE Technical Support!

Mr. Janus:
    I just set up a GA-MA78GM-S2H mobo with a Western Digital IDE 160 GB HDD and a Seagate 320 GB SATA 3.0 GB/sec HDD. I'm running WinXP Pro SP3 off the WD 160 GB drive.

In CMOS, only the IDE drives (WD and DVD-ROM) show up, but the SATA drive does show up in the Boot From Order menu.

The drive is recognized and set Active, but Windows is only seeing it as 149.05 GB when it is a 320 GB drive! I don't know if the SATA controller is not picking it up, or what.

When I run Seagate's SeaTools for DOS, it doesn't even see the drive. It says 2 devices shown, but it only displays the PATA drive.

I tried switching SATA data cables, but no change. I also tried setting the jumper for 1.5 GB/sec (although mobo is supposed to recognize 3.0 GB/sec).

I need the full drive capacity to store videos and program installation files, and maybe a drive image. So far, I'm not too happy with the results as this is my first venture into SATA drives.

Comment

Did you not format the drive to NTFS? If not you should reformat it as NTFS

And are you sure you are looking at the correct drive? As a 160GB would show as 149 not a 320

Can you post me a image of Both drives Properties windows from my computer?

Comment

Forget about partitioning or formatting the drive. That is not the issue here. I've neither partitioned the drive nor formatted it. I'm not doing anything until I understand WHY nothing is seeing the entire drive capacity of 320 GB!

It is set up as an AHCI drive and the AHCI drivers were installed when I installed Windows XP. I'm running WinXP Pro SP3.

Windows does not see it, it does not show up in BIOS except as a bootable drive option (capacity not shown), Seagate's SeaTools for DOS does not see it, Seagate's Disk Wizard sees only 149 GB, and Windows Disk Manager sees only 149 GB.

The flipping drive is SUPPOSED to be 320 GB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Well like I said please post me a image of BOTH drives properties. If it is not NTFS it will be smaller, by how much I am not sure

You keep saying 149GB, and that is a 160GB drive so I think you are looking at the wrong disk. Since you say windows does not see it, then it needs to be setup for first use with diskwizard. Since it is not formatted or setup this could be the cause of the incorrect size you are seeing, if you are looking at the correct disk

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to down talk to you at all, just trying to help.

You may have gotten sent the wrong drive as well, does it say 320GB on the outside of the disk itself? I say that because again a 160GB drive will show up as 149GB

Comment

Greetings,

Quick summary.

trying to upgrade RAM to Corsair Dominator 2x2GB 8500C5D 1066 mhz in a Gigabyte GA-965G-DS3 mobo. Each DIMM works on its own so they are both good. Together they pass the memory test but Windows will not boot. Tried setting the voltage at 2.1 and 2.2...neither helped. Not sure how to proceed. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Please make a Thread and I can better help you. Sorry to have not replied until now, but this is a sticky thread that is not often posted in so I must have overlooked it

You will need a few changes to run 2x2, I will help you more when you make a thread of your own (Keeps me less confused! )

Comment

4000 - I just want 4000 posts LOL
                Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
                Managing Director
                Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Looks like you better hurry!

Comment

I made a mistake - I still have a few to go...
                    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
                    Managing Director
                    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Gentlemen

This forum is (to use a much-overworked term) AWESOME! I need to build 6 machines in the next 6 months - an engineering workstation, an cheap Ubuntu box to handle my email & skype without exposing my workstation to the internet, a MythTV 'backend' server, and 3 MythTV 'frontend' PVR's... The very existence of this forum, and its incredibly quick and salient responses ensure that ALL of these systems will be based around Gigabyte boards!

So long, and THANKS FOR ALL THE FISH!

Bill

Comment

I just wanted to thank you guys for the tech support forum. It is awesome to be able to come to a forum like this to get help troubleshooting and setting up my motherboard.

It has made the process a lot easier than normal. The P45 board I bought is definitely more finicky than others I have used, but the tech support here has really stepped up to plate and made the new build easy to fix and get up and running with all my components.

Comment

Great to hear your kind words, they are much appreciated!

I agree, Even I have had a much tougher time in helping users get P45's stable.

It is a much more advanced BIOS, which is great itself but does leave much more room for instability for users who use Auto or do not have much BIOS tweaking knowledge.

Glad to see your Board is running good for you. Please do point any Gigabyte user you know who may need some help in this direction and we will try to get them the help they need.

Comment

Hi!

A swede here with a slight problem. Bought this config last week:

PA35-DS4
                            Intel E8500
                            2x2gb Adata 6400 gaming / 800mhz
                            Powercolor Radeon 4850/1GB
                            Velociraptor 150gb SATA + seagate 200gb SATA

and all installed in Antec Sonata III / 500W

Had several problems the very first two days, with the pc freezing during VISTA-setup, PC got stuck in powerup cycle (it powered off either before POST or hang/froze during or after POST) etc. It ended up with me removing everything and rebuilding the PC from scratch. Then it finally worked and I updated bios to F6 rev (the latest non beta one).

Last weekend I was gaming fine and no friggin problem at all, everything worked smooth, until today. Here we go again, tried loading 2-3 games, but have been hanging (even in a game like Witcher) and PC crashing. Even got stuck in the same poweron-loop, not being able to powerup the PC correctly.

At present I'm only onto 1 of the memsticks and right now its working OK.

What should I do? Nothing is overclocked (but according to easytune pro im in turbo mode).

So far I have:
                            - checked that everything is correctly slot and that cooling is high (even set the chassi fan to max)
                            - did set the memspecs to 5/5/5/12 as suggested by the memory provider but havent changed any volts (suggested 1.8-2.1 by provider)
                            - flashed bios to F6 rev.
                            - using catalyst 08.9 (8.53 driver)

I have had a great experience with gigabyte earlier and I hope there is some way to get this system stable aswell. What more should I do?

Comment

2x2GB needs some things manually set. For one, you mentioned Turbo, this should be set to standard in the BIOS. Here is some optimal ranges for 2x2GB at stock >>>

This is Just a template I use to ask people their settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Fast]
                              CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
                              Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0.5]
                              CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
                              CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333]
                              PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
                              C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
                              System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.40B or 2.40]
                              DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard] << Why you was in "Turbo" mode, and have issues

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
                              Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________5
                              Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
                              Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 12

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________3-4
                              Rank Write to READ Delay________ 3-6 (also benchmark 9-11, sometimes this is best)
                              Write to Precharge Delay_________ 4-6
                              Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 52-62 A MUST for 2x2GB to be stable
                              Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-5
                              Static tRead Value_______________7-10
                              Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto] << Always Auto

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
                              DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] = 2.1V, you may only need 2.0 but set to 2.1 for now and lower last to see if 2.0 works out ok
                              PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] << For Stability
                              FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] << For Stability
                              (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V - +0.2V - +0.3V] <<< 2x2GB needs additional MCH Voltage, normally .2-.3 is good.
                              CPU Voltage Control_______

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
                              No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
                              CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
                              C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
                              x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
                              CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
                              CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
                              Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled]

Integrated Peripherals
                              Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

Comment

Hey guys, new user here, please be gentle.

I've got a problem with what I believe is my RAM, but I'm not sure. I got 2x1 GB DDR2 800MHZ Crucial Ballistix sticks in July to add along with my current 2x1 GB DDR2 800MHZ g.Skill sticks. The Ballistix are rated at 4-4-4-12 2.2V and my older g.Skills are 5-5-5-15 2.0V.

I was experiencing no instability issues for the past 2 months, but now I am experiencing frequent blue screens that are not displayed long enough for me to read. My computer will have a hard reset and (does not show BIOS) will go to a screen saying "BIOS Auto-Recovering...". Eventually the "BIOS Auto-Recovering..." process will restart, and the whole thing will run through a couple more times before my system starts up normally. The problem does not seem to happen at any consistency, but I think I can run my system longer if I let it power down for a couple of hours. All my BIOS settings are default settings.

Here's my config:
                                GA-P35-DS3L (F8 Bios)
                                Core2Duo E8400
                                2x1GB g.Skill (Dual Channel Kit)
                                2x1GB Crucial Ballistix (Dual Channel Kit)
                                MSI 8800GT OC
                                Antec Sonata III / 500W EarthWatts
                                Windows Vista Business SP1 / Windows XP SP3 (Dual Boot, usually use Vista)

I have moderate technical experience, but not enough expertise to correctly diagnose the problem and provide any further analysis. I tried to search online about the issue, and found that the Crucial Ballistix seem to be the problem. I have since then taken the 2 Ballistix sticks out and my system's been running stable for the past day or 2.

My question is: Are there any settings I need to change so that my rig can run all 4 GB of RAM? Should I RMA the Ballistix to Crucial?

I will also be trying to run the RAM in my friend's system to see if he will have any problems with it.

Thanks for your time and help!

Comment

Working...
                                X