Odd problem with 64GB in a Gigabyte board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd problem with 64GB in a Gigabyte board

I'll start by saying that I'm sure this is not a G-Skill problem, but I hoped maybe you could shed some light on what's happening.

I have a X79-UD5 with 8 x F3-14900CL10-8GBZL installed for a total of 64GB. This worked fine under Gigabyte’s bios 13p. I recently updated to 13w and even though the bios states that the full 64GB is there, all my OS installs (Win 7, Linux, others) report 60GB. It seems the stick in slot 6 is reporting as 4GB.

Gigabyte insists that it’s my OS. Reverting back to 13p fixed it.

Are there any bios settings I should look for that may cause such behaviour? The latest bios did fix a couple things and I’d like to use it, but of course not at the expense of having memory problems (well, computer memory problems anyway.)

Re: Odd problem with 64GB in a Gigabyte board

Hi,

Can you check the memory size in BIOS? Are you use single 64GB memory kit(8GB x8) or mix two or more memory kits at the same time?
    Please kindly provide full memory/CPU model if possible.

Here is the screenshot for X79-UD5(13w) and everything is on the right track:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	754010
    Or you could take some screenshots and show us the problem.

Comment

Hi Matt:

Thanks for taking the time to test that.

The 64gig is a matched set, purchased as a kit.

I have attached two images (same layout as yours) one for 13p and one for 13w. As you can see, CPUZ reports the ram correctly, but Windows does not.

The bios correctly shows 8 gig in each slot.

All my various installs however all say that the RAM is 60 gigs. My (ahem) hackintosh boots and immediately tells me my ram is mismatched. The problem goes away with bios 13p.
      Attached Files

Comment

Oops, one attachment per post. Here's 13w
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

As the attached files, please try to remove all of the memory modules, and switch all of the DIMMs.
          And we've try both 3930/3970 but couldn't seem the issue as yours, if remove/switch couldn't correct the issue,
          use the XMP settings and slightly raising VCCSA and VTT to about 1.200-1.250V for another try.

Comment

Hi Matt

No luck on all counts. Selecting either XMP profile, swapping all the ram sticks around, upping the voltage, no change.

Comment

I thought I'd add one more update before I go back to 13p.

I had been looking in the MIT Status page in the bios for the ram specs. On that page the system reports 65536 ram, which is correct. On the system info page the ram is reported as 61440. Two different locations in the same bios reporting different ram. It must be a Gigabyte bug, though I can see that the ram in your machine appears to work fine. Is this a compatibility issue?

Comment

Hi J Lamp,

As your test results, i'll say that should be the BIOS compatibility issue, and the RAM should be fine.

Comment

Thank you Matt!

I've sent this problem back to Gigabyte. Your assistance in troubleshooting this has been considerably more helpful than Gigabyte's.

Comment

Hi,

You're welcome, let us know if you have any other question about it, will do our best to assist you.

Comment

Working...
                    X