Low disc space c!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low disc space c!!!!!!!!

This is starting to drive me nuts!. The low disc space c message is poping up every 2 minutes, I have tried all optons to remoce disc space, to no Avail. I have an Asus tower (pc) using Windows xp.Is there any solution to this, other than a Hammer??Thanks

Re: Low disc space c!!!!!!!!

You're a bit sparse with your information here :-) Try this:

Click start
    Click My computer
    Right click on the C drive and click properties
    You will see a pie chart of your disk usage. What is the total space you have and what space is free?
    Exit from that and double click on the C drive
    Click Search and you get a new window with some options on the left - I have an option to use Search companion. Do you?
    What you need to do is search the drive specifying a file size which is ideally at least 100,000Kb. This will display a list of all big files on this drive. Maybe you can find some video or other big files which you can get rid of.
    Let me know where you get to

Jon
    ASRock Z87 Extreme6 | Core i5 4670K Cooled by Corsair H50 | 4x4 GB DDR3 1600 GSkill | Gigabyte GTX560 Ti 1GB DDR5 | Intel 240GB 335 SSD, 3 x 2TB & 1 x 3TB HDD, 2 x 24" LG Monitors | Coolermaster Silent Pro 700W | Yamaha Amp/Receiver | Windows 7 SP1 64 bit

Comment

Jon, tried what you suggested, removed some files, all seemed fine, but 5 minutes later th error message appeared again? Do you think this could be a virus?

Comment

I can't tell without you giving me more information.
        How big is the disk?
        How much free space does it say there is?
        What anti-virus are you running?

It could be a virus, but it could also be some application filling up a log file.

Try starting the PC in safe mode whilst you get all the info about disk sizes etc. Also, right click on the main folders (windows, users, program files) on the C: drive and click properties on each. Make a note of the sizes of these folders so that when it starts up with the message again you can see if any of these are bigger than you noted.

Either your disk is quite small anyway and bouncing off capacity or something is writing a lot of stuff to the disk and we need to find out what that is.

Jon
        ASRock Z87 Extreme6 | Core i5 4670K Cooled by Corsair H50 | 4x4 GB DDR3 1600 GSkill | Gigabyte GTX560 Ti 1GB DDR5 | Intel 240GB 335 SSD, 3 x 2TB & 1 x 3TB HDD, 2 x 24" LG Monitors | Coolermaster Silent Pro 700W | Yamaha Amp/Receiver | Windows 7 SP1 64 bit

Comment

Jon, the c disc is 75 gb, free space is 872 kb. d disc is 500 gb. I am using Kaspersky anti-virus. I have done a full scan and it says no threats detected.

Comment

Your C drive is quite small so here are a few things that can free up some space:

1. Turn off or reduce the size of system restore by start | right click my computer | properties | select the system restore tab and change the settings to free more space
            2. Reduce the size of the page file (is your C drive an SSD? - If so you could get rid of the page file, but I think 1Gb is better min size). Select advanced tab from same window as (1) | advanced tab again | change virtual memory | custom size
            3. Turn off hibernation. Start | Control Panel | Power Options | Hibernate tab | untick the box

Depending on what you're already using and how much RAM you have, system restore is worth a few gigabytes, page file the same, and hibernation is worth the same gigs as you've got RAM.

I can see that by having 2 drives, C is supposed to be your system drive and D your data drive. Therefore, go to my computer | C: drive | right click Documents and Settings :- If this folder is big you should consider moving it to the D: drive. Let me know if you want to do this because there are a few steps involved since it's a system created folder it can't just be moved.

On my XP system, the three main folders that contain stuff are Windows (~8Gb) Program Files (~40Gb) Documents and Settings (~9Gb). Windows folder shouldn't change much. If you've got games installed, you can reduce the size of Program Files by reinstalling them onto the D: drive. Normal apps don't usually take up that much space. Documents and Settings is probably where you've got too much stuff.

If you want to check that there are no big hidden files left after you've disabled hibernation etc. you can click Tools menu | Folder options | View tab and click "show hidden files" and uncheck show system files. Then go to C drive and you will see your page file etc. Uncheck these options after you've verified that the files there are correct. Don't attempt to delete anything you don't like the look of here!

This should buy you some breathing space to work out what the is taking up all the space. Let me know how you get on :-)

Jon

Comment

Tried it all JON. Nothing is correcting this? So frustrating

Comment

So which folders are consuming the most space? How big are windows, program files, and documents folders?

Comment

The only large file is Open Office ?

Comment

No offense to the poster but this is why I gave up on doing help desk/tech support a long time ago, especially on the 'Net. While I understand that there are many people out there that aren't really computer literate and want it to 'just work' with the least amount of effort, when problems come up, this is what happens. This is akin to doing tech over the phone. You can't see the machine or anything going on and can only rely on what the user is saying and, of course, they don't really know much of what you want. Even when you go into detail about what to do to get the info you need to diagnose and possible fix the problem, you get back short, uninformative answers that don't help much in any way. Obviously, if you were right there in front of the machine, a rather simple problem such as this would be taken care of quickly. But now it gets drawn out unnecessarily and that's where I lose my patience. Good luck to you, Jon! You're much braver than I when it comes to these kind of situations...

-Lumarra

Comment

Go into Programs and Features from Control Panel. At the very bottom of that screen you'll see "Currently installed programs Total size: xxxx MB. What does yours say for the Total size?

Have you cleaned out the Recycle Bin? Deleted files just go there, and stay until you Empty it.

You can also run a Disk Cleanup from the Properties window for that drive, by right clicking on the drive listing in My Computer. That will remove a lot of junk.

A 75GB drive sounds like it could be an Intel X25-M 80GB SSD. It's possible it's just full, that happens. What do you use the PC for, gaming, etc?

@LumarraKice

Comment

Thanks Lumarra and Parsec. Rush, unless you are more specific about your folder sizes we are all clutching at straws here. Open office is not a realistic answer since it normally takes up less than 1/2 Gb space in Program Files and you don't mention whether it's the application or document files you're talking about or what size it actually is that's causing you to think it's big.

Comment

Run TreeSize freeware and post a screen-shot of the results window.
                          Note: It won't report folder sizes of windows system folders that you don't have access to.
                          TreeSize Free - Quickly Scan Directory Sizes and Find Space Hogs
                          Once the software is installed, go to My Computer and right click on the partition you want to profile and run TreeSize.
                          You can also display sizes of sub-folders.

sample screen-shot of main folders:
                          Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                          P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                          4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                          MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                          Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                          WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                          Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                          SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                          Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                          Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                          Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                          MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                          Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                          HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                          CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                          E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                          Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                          Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                          HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Good idea Proj Jim, and hopefully the OP has room to install that program, or can run it from the other drive.

Comment

Total size of the TreeSize folders on my boot drive is less than 3.3MB.
                              Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                              P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                              4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                              MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                              Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                              WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                              Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                              SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                              Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                              Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                              Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                              MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                              Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                              HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                              CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                              E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                              Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                              Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                              HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Working...
                              X