No announcement yet.

Asus P9 PE-D8 WS - Bios changes CPU speed - Watch video !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus P9 PE-D8 WS - Bios changes CPU speed - Watch video !

Please help. I've tried everything I can think of. This is a new board from the ASUS factory with the latest bios - WITH A TEST SHEET!
    The best thing is to watch my video and see if you can help in any way. I'm at a complete loss as to what is going on.
    In short - My CPU are Xexon 2687W and should run at 3.1GHz, but the BIOS keeps slowing them down to 1.2 GHz. No matter what I try.
    ASUS has no solution except to RMA the board again.

Here's my video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlm-09mLiyY

HUGE THANKS FOR ANY HELP !!!

Re: Asus P9 PE-D8 WS - Bios changes CPU speed - Watch video !

By chance do you have the s-Spec's of your processors?

I don't know if it could be BIOS related in some way or not but I'm reading "VT-d virtualization and Trusted Execution Technology are not supported on processors with C0 and C1 core steppings" HERE

With ASUS claiming tested the Z9PE-D8 WS with C2 stepping E5-2687W processors HERE

NM the below, I forgot while replying it appears this board came to you from ASUS as a RMA return already. Hopefully that means they themselves aren't creating mischief when possibly flashing the BIOS before RMA'ing back to you.
    <span style="text-decoration: line-through;">And I gotta ask. "3302 from factory" , meaning from factory and not from some other place or from some other possible previous user? I see some serious cautions while updating the BIOS relating to revision 3109 and above. ASUS IIRC used to print the MB's BIOS revision on the box's sticker/desc. If it's printed there, does it confirm 3302</span>

Thanks TT for now disabling the strike through. Coming from a loyal user, It's appreciated. NOT.
    Last edited by - wardog -; 03-16-2013, 03:55 PM.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

The S-spec as printed on the Intel box is SROKG for both processors.
      I'm not sure if the o is an OH or a Zero.
      You are obviously more tech savy than I am as I don't know what to do with your answer.
      The board was delivered to me with BIOS 3302 installed by ASUS.
      I tried switching out the bios chip in my old board which I still have which also has 3302 on it and got the same results.
      Can I re-flash the bios to an older version?

I really appreciate your help as I'm at a loss about what to do.

Comment

So, according the the link you provided (thank you) and with my S-spec of SROKG it appears that the core stepping is C2 which should be good. That should mean that VT-d virtualization and Trusted Execution Technology are supported.
        I don't know what those things are, but at least they are supported.
        I'm going to see what happens when I reflash to bios 3206.

One thing I find very interesting:
        The "Customer specification and test sheet" that came with my new RMA'd motherboard shows that it has BIOS 3206 - but when I went into BIOS for the first time it says 3306!
        So, I'm thinking there was some last minute bios changing before it went out to me.

Comment

I was hoping hoping hoping that the bios reflash would work.
          I reflashed the bios to version 3206 which is as far bask as I can go (i think) because the file name extensions change from .ROM to .CAP.

Anyway, I tried it and still have the same problem.

Talk about frustrating.

Comment

Try this.

BIOS > Advanced > CPU Power Management Configuration > Power Technology - to "Custom"
            BIOS > Advanced > CPU Power Management Configuration > Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology - to "Disabled"
            BIOS > Ai Tweaker > CPU Ratio - to the correct Multiplier for your processors

The above is extrapolated from THIS post. There's a wealth of info on your MB/proc's in that thread, from start to finish. The User there FutureX has the same HW and is/was seeing the same 1.2Ghz as you are currently experiencing, see THIS post. If I read that thread and understand what they're mentioning I believe the above steps should rectify your issue.

You might also consider joining there to ask about what I mention trying above to be confident.
            #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
            ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Yes. Your C2 stepping is good as that's the stepping ASUS indicates they have tested the MB/CPU/BIOS with/against.

And don't give me too much credit here. I feel like I have one foot over the fence, and in the mud, here discussing this with you. I damn near passed your thread over after reading as being above my pay grade.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
                Try this.

BIOS > Advanced > CPU Power Management Configuration > Power Technology - to "Custom"
                BIOS > Advanced > CPU Power Management Configuration > Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology - to "Disabled"
                BIOS > Ai Tweaker > CPU Ratio - to the correct Multiplier for your processors

The above is extrapolated from THIS post. There's a wealth of info on your MB/proc's in that thread, from start to finish. The User there FutureX has the same HW and is/was seeing the same 1.2Ghz as you are currently experiencing, see THIS post. If I read that thread and understand what they're mentioning I believe the above steps should rectify your issue.

You might also consider joining there to ask about what I mention trying above to be confident.
                Again, thank you.
                I would like to try your suggestion but I can not find the 'correct multiplier for my processors' A google search didn't come up with anything I could use.
                If you happen to know I would love any support or ideas.

Comment

I don't know your name but I just want to tell you that you have made my day!!
                  I tried your suggestion.
                  I took a shot at CPU ratio of 38 as that was the only thing I could find with the word ratio in it.
                  Anyway. When I rebooted back into BIOS it KEPT the CPU speed !!
                  You have no idea how much better I feel now. I've been on this for 50 hours with no sleep trying various things !!

I'm optimistic that I can move on and at least try to load windows and and finish this beast.

Thank you again.
                  If by chance you live in So. CA I'd be honored to buy you a drink !!

Comment

You're welcome. Glad to have helped and thanks for the offer of a drink. But from Michigan that would be a long haul to clink glasses. Nevertheless, thanks. I appreciate the offer.

You don't want 38 there. 38 would represent your Max Turbo speed. 31 would be what you want entered per HERE, Intels spec page for your E5-3687W.

Upon sleeping on this, you might try only disabling the "Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology"(EIST) while leaving/changing back the "CPU Ratio" to I believe what you were looking at as "Auto". As after sleeping on it I'm left wondering if with EIST enabled, with all other power settings in the BIOS defaulted/enabled, the correct idle speed for this proc isn't actually supposed to be 1.2Ghz. EIST was/is used in laptops to more deeply conserve power. So it might not be out of the question to expect to see 1.2Ghz while in the BIOS with the proc's idling in an EIST low power state. Again, BIOS programing is above my pay grade so not too sure. But worth a shot as you now know how to correct for in the BIOS should it not prove beneficial here.

If the above paragraphs info proves itself out, or does not, either way, would you be so kind as to post back here of your findings.

And if you have a contact at ASUS you should probably email/call this info in to them to keep their RMA's down. Assuming whomever you speak to forwards said info up to their Tech Support call center and sees that it actually gets entered into their ever dry cut-n-paste database of silly questions to inquire of when tasked for support. I'm left quizzical and dazed that they themselves aren't already aware of this and instead had you and most likely many others jump through the RMA hoop only after exhausting your patience via phone/email. Been there done that, and it is aggravating. To say the least.

And BTW, nice computer.

Comment

Michigan huh? My wife's from there - Bloomfield Hills.
                      Now that I've had a chance to get back to the machine with the most complex of BIOSs . . .
                      I understand what you are saying and it makes sense. From yesterday I have Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology currently disabled. As you suggested I set the CPU ratio back to Auto and sure enough the CPU Speed goes back down to 1200MHz. But I'm confused, I would think you would suggest enabling the EIST and setting CPU ratio to Auto. Which results in the same 1200 MHz CPU speed.
                      If I keep EIST enabled, would the CPUs work hard when they need to and go into relax mode when I'm not using the computer? I'm thinking with such an high energy CPU that might be a good thing to have enabled. But I definitely want max performance when the time comes.
                      So, I'm not sure how to tell if, after I get Windows up and running-and I leave the BIOS where it shows 1200MHz, if the CPU will 'wake up' and start performing at its designed 3.1GHz speed. Will I need a program like CPUZ I think it's called. I see a lot of benchmark video where people use this program which looks like a large dialogue box.

Another question about the CPU ratio: I looked in that document you linked to with the processor specs. I couldn't fine anywhere where it lists the CPU ratio at 31 or at any speed.
                      Also, if the max turbo boost is 38, why not set the BIOS CPU Ratio to 38? Does that results in premature CPU death? Does the CPU ramp up to 38 Ratio automatically?

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by marchitect View Post
                        But I'm confused, I would think you would suggest enabling the EIST and setting CPU ratio to Auto. Which results in the same 1200 MHz CPU speed.
                        Sorry, I could have worded that better. I had too many Google pages open to put into words all that the grey matter was absorbing.

Reset everything back and install Windows. The more I look into this the more I'm convinced 1.2Ghz would be a normal speed to see at idle with EIST Enabled and CPU Ratio at "Auto"

With the programs I link to below you should be able to witness this speed ramp as a compute resources are demanded of the processors.

If I keep EIST enabled, would the CPUs work hard when they need to and go into relax mode when I'm not using the computer? I'm thinking with such an high energy CPU that might be a good thing to have enabled. But I definitely want max performance when the time comes. So, I'm not sure how to tell if, after I get Windows up and running-and I leave the BIOS where it shows 1200MHz, if the CPU will 'wake up' and start performing at its designed 3.1GHz speed.
                        That is exactly how this works. Put a load against it and it will climb steadily, up to the Max Turbo of 3800(38x100=3.8Ghz). Then back at rest(idle) it lowers the clock(multi/Ratio) back to 12(12x100=1.2Ghz). Your Ratio has a span of between 12 to 38, with the bus being a constant (~)100. With the Ratio of 31 being it's "normal' operating Ratio, or 3.1Ghz(31x100)

If you'll look back to THIS page, you'll see the Turbo speeds of 3400(Ratio=34), 3500(Ratio=35), 3600(Ratio=36), and 3800(Ratio=38). Those are all above the stated/spec'd 3100(31) of the CPU's "normal' non-EIST non-Turbo operating state of 3.1Ghz.

With EIST enabled the CPU is allowed into a lower Ratio to conserve power/heat while idling. Then, the normal state of 3.1Ghz. Opposite that is Turbo where the ratios climb above 3.1Ghz, when a heavy load is placed against the CPU.

The Ratios will ramp from an idle with EIST to Normal and then proceed to Turbo, then fall back again as the demands lessen.

Will I need a program like CPUZ I think it's called. I see a lot of benchmark video where people use this program which looks like a large dialogue box.
                        There are quite a few programs that you can check the operating frequency. CPU-Z and HWiNFO64 are both popular.

Another question about the CPU ratio: I looked in that document you linked to with the processor specs. I couldn't fine anywhere where it lists the CPU ratio at 31 or at any speed.
                        Also, if the max turbo boost is 38, why not set the BIOS CPU Ratio to 38? Does that results in premature CPU death? Does the CPU ramp up to 38 Ratio automatically?
                        I hope I offered up a through explanation of this in my reply here above. If not, ask away.
                        Last edited by - wardog -; 03-18-2013, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Great explanation.
                          I just saw your post as, for some reason, I forgot there might be a 2nd page to this thread. Now that I see page 2, I see your great explanation.
                          I hope I'm not asking for trouble, but I'm in the process of creating a USB bootable version of Win 7 Ultimate and using WinToolKit to remove the features I don't need or want. I then plan to put my User files on one drive and my Program files on another drive using this method [Tutorial] Moving Users and Program Files to another HDD on Windows 7. - YouTube. So, I still do not have Windows installed. But I'm much more confident that this whole 1.2GHz issue is solved.
                          I will try the programs you suggested to verify that the processors are indeed ramping up to the higher speeds.
                          With the CPU Ratio set to Auto, I don't know if I will ever see anything higher than 3.1GHz but we'll see.

Comment

With the CPU Ratio set to Auto, I don't know if I will ever see anything higher than 3.1GHz but we'll see.
                            Yea, it'll take some serious doings to fire up 8/16 physical cores that's for sure.

And here's a MS HotFix link for you pertaining to Windows Experience Index/WinSAT:
                            WinSAT test fails in Windows 7

Fingers crossed here. Keep the posts coming.

Comment

My latest issue is trying to get Windows 7 64 Ultimate to install.
                              I want the following installation set up using a custom install where you have to partition each drive. And allocate the drives as follows:
                              Windows: installed on a Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD
                              Program files: installed on a separate Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD
                              User Files: installed on a Intel Raid Disk, consisting of 2 Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSDs. This is the raid controller on my MB. (This is key!, in order to have the Raid disk show up in the partition screen at the very beginning of the install, I need to install the Intel drivers. I do this and the Raid drive shows up and I think I'm in good shape. But later on, that driver somehow gets lost and Windows throws up a critical error. - see below.)
                              I've down loaded the latest ISO from Microsoft using WinToolKit. Win Toolkit - WinCert.net Forums
                              I've created a bootable USB disk using this link: Sean's Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs
                              I want to split up the drives using this technique: [Tutorial] Moving Users and Program Files to another HDD on Windows 7. - YouTube.

All seems fine until I get try to install Windows. During installation, it goes up to the first reboot sequence. Reboots, and when it comes back online I immediately get the error: Windows failed to load because of a critical system file. File:\windows\system32\drivers\iastorA.sys

This is a driver for my Intel Raid disk. I don't know how to get past this. Why is the Raid disk driver loading initially but then appears to get lost? I'm not aware of any way to reinstall it after I get that critical system error.
                              Do you have any experience with this?

I'm wondering if I would have this same problem if I was installing from a dvd. I don't have one at the moment (the dvd player or a win 7 ultimate disk).

I'm wondering if there is a way to set up a skype deal where you or someone really good at this stuff could look at my screen remotely and tell me what to do. This is getting way over my head, but on the other hand, I have so much time and energy invested into this project, I want to see it through.

Comment

Working...
                              X