Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asus P9 PE-D8 WS - Bios changes CPU speed - Watch video !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Asus P9 PE-D8 WS - Bios changes CPU speed - Watch video !

One idea that came to me at this crazy 3:30AM hour is:
    Can I install drivers from a command prompt? I can get to a command prompt, I don't know how to install drivers or anything from that matter as I'm not literate in DOS text.
    But I think that could work.
    I would load up windows with the raid drivers and hope they stick.

I'm also thinking, there must be an easier way.

Comment

First up, if I'm reading that correctly, you don't need/want the F6 RAID drivers for only installing to the "Windows 840 Pro 256" as it is a single non-raid drive. That's probably some of your issues right there.

I'm not a fan of RAID, so this is theory, not experience here.

1. With only the "Windows 840 Pro 256" drive' connected install Windows as normal. Two ways I suppose. Either disable RAID and install normally, or enable RAID(but no RAID drives connected) and F6 the driver
      2. After Windows is installed, connect the "Program Files drive" and make sure it's seen in Windows and all is good with it.
      3. Now connect the two User Files drives' and configure the controller and them as RAID in the BIOS. Here I'll get loose as I've never done this. Read it, but not done. Once Windows reboots with these two properly config'd in the BIOS it(Windows) will ask for the correct drivers. Again, I'm not sure, but the RST Util in Windows can set up the RAID drives too.

4. Once you know the system is as you want it, now would be the time to migrate the User and System files.
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

You will need to F6 the AHCI drivers in unless you want to use the in-the-box MS AHCI drivers for the Windows disk install.
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Brain dead this am.

Set the controller to AHCI where the "Windows' drive is connected and F6 the AHCI drivers.

Duh. /me bad

Comment

Sorry there in the above posts.

I sometimes type out and forget that things I take for granted on installs is also understood by the party I'm typing to.

1. Set the controller the Windows drive is on to AHCI in the BIOS and when installing F6 the AHCI driver in. This is with no other drives connected, only this one.

Comment

PM'd

Comment

Been trying to respond to your PM with no luck. My messages say they have been sent but it doesn't appear they actually get to you. They also not showing up in my sent folder.

Comment

Got 'em, and replied

Comment

After a few days of extensive work, trying to resolve first, the assumed problem I had with the motherboard bios and secondly, the difficulty of just getting Windows 7 to install; I am very glad to report that my system is up and running smoothly. I had some amazing help and support and it's because of that help and support that my issues are resolved.
                    Summary:
                    Bios issue: It turns out that the bios is supposed to report a slower CPU speed on the bios main page when EIST is enabled. ASUS support didn't know that and couldn't help. At least the support people I talked to. They insisted I rma the board. However, I now know how to keep the CPUs running at full clock speed all the time, even when in BIOS, if the need arises. The method for doing that is stated earlier in this thread.
                    Windows install: My goal was to install a reduced down version of Windows 7 using Win ToolKit using a bootable USB drive. It turns out that the problem I was having with the install of Windows was because of some setting I used in trying to reduce the Windows install. After just going with the default ISO and not trying to modify it with Win ToolKit, I was able to get a clean install in the first shot. When I say I, I really mean with the valuable help I got along the way.

Comment

Originally posted by marchitect View Post
                      After a few days of extensive work, trying to resolve first, the assumed problem I had with the motherboard bios and secondly, the difficulty of just getting Windows 7 to install; I am very glad to report that my system is up and running smoothly. I had some amazing help and support and it's because of that help and support that my issues are resolved.
                      Summary:
                      Bios issue: It turns out that the bios is supposed to report a slower CPU speed on the bios main page when EIST is enabled. ASUS support didn't know that and couldn't help. At least the support people I talked to. They insisted I rma the board...
                      ASUS support did not know about the EIST/SpeedStep feature on an Intel CPU?! EIST has existed on Intel CPU's since the Pentium D was introduced, in 2006, and possibly before that.

AMD has a similar power saving feature on their CPUs. These features are nothing new, exotic, or hidden. They are not used only on high end or enterprise CPUs, they all have it. Laptop/mobile PCs would be no where near as light and portable as they are today without power and heat reducing features like EIST/SpeedStep.

If the support personnel of any mother board manufacture did not know about these features and how they work, that is unbelievable. Are these people simply not trained, or is this a regrettable language/communication barrier? Can you imagine the number of boards that have been returned due to incompetence like this? An entire RMA process and all that it involves and costs could have been avoided with a two minute explanation. This really sounds almost to impossible to be true.

OTOH, if someone is building a PC of their own, they really ought to spend some time educating themselves about the hardware they have, and how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                        ASUS support did not know about the EIST/SpeedStep feature on an Intel CPU?! EIST has existed on Intel CPU's since the Pentium D was introduced, in 2006, and possibly before that.

AMD has a similar power saving feature on their CPUs. These features are nothing new, exotic, or hidden. They are not used only on high end or enterprise CPUs, they all have it. Laptop/mobile PCs would be no where near as light and portable as they are today without power and heat reducing features like EIST/SpeedStep.

If the support personnel of any mother board manufacture did not know about these features and how they work, that is unbelievable. Are these people simply not trained, or is this a regrettable language/communication barrier? Can you imagine the number of boards that have been returned due to incompetence like this? An entire RMA process and all that it involves and costs could have been avoided with a two minute explanation. This really sounds almost to impossible to be true.

OTOH, if someone is building a PC of their own, they really ought to spend some time educating themselves about the hardware they have, and how it works.
                        You definitely have a good point. If ASUS didn't tell me I had a problem I wouldn't be in this boat. I assumed they knew what was going on and thus assumed I had a bad board. Also of note, this board is not for a novice which I am. I admit I'm a little over my head here. But I've been fortunate enough to get some great help and I'm back in the game and really enjoying this machine.

Comment

Working...
                        X