Updating BIOS on P8Z68-V Pro from 11.01 to latest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updating BIOS on P8Z68-V Pro from 11.01 to latest

I have seen posts that indicate I have to update the BIOS from 11.01 to 3203 and then to 3304 and finally to 3402 otherwise I may/will have problems. Or I can spend $14.99+9.00 and replace the BIOS chip. Before I spend $25 on the ASUS MB I will buy a different MB - I really like the UD5H board. Can someone who has been down this path shed a little more light on this issue? Thanks in advance.

Re: Updating BIOS on P8Z68-V Pro from 11.01 to latest

where have you seen that? first ive heard,should be able to jump straight to the latest bios version,nothing is mentioned on asus site
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- So... what's the correct manner to upgrade BIOS to the latest and greatest?

Comment

ive always gone to the very latest bios,no need to update to each one in succession,it would state that on asus bios update page,
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

So have I but I like to check and see if people are having problems with a new BIOS. I'm too old and tired to get caught up in more problems than I already have. More than one BIOS update has caused more problems that it solved!!

Did you even look at the thread on the ASUS Forum? Here is another thread from the same Forum:

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- Bios Update 3402

Sure looks like there is something going on that may cause problems.

Comment

yeah i read it,i think i skipped one bios straight to 3402 and no isses,to play safe just download each bios version and update to each one,but im pretty sure its unnecessary,
            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
            Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

I would also like to know where you heard this. The BIOS chip doesn't "remember" what versions were previously installed. When you flash the BIOS you wipe all previous info from the chip - that's why it's potentially risky (if the power goes off during BIOS flash you're left with half a BIOS and no way to boot into it). That's why I like my new Asus P8Z77-V with USB BIOS Flashback, it let's you flash the BIOS from a USB thumb drive with only standby power ( no CPU or RAM even needs to be installed to do this). This means that you can recover a corrupt BIOS every time because you don't have to be in Windows or even booted into BIOS in order to flash it. No more "bricked" motherboards or sending back for BIOS replacement, and no need for dual bios since you can save different versions to cheap 1 GB thumb drives along with it's overclock profile. Sorry your Z68 board doesn't have this feature, but keep Asus in mind for your next build. They are still the best in my book.

Comment

hood6558,
                If you read the whole thread you would see that I provided a couple of links to the ASUS Forum where at least a few people indicated there might be a problem. However, I put my Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H MB aside for a few days and went back to the ASUS P8Z68-V Pro MB and updated the BIOS to from 11.01 to 3402 with absolutely no issues. The system is running as good as ever - but I have not taken the time to see if the latest BIOS fixed any of the nagging USB3.0 problems I was experiencing. That is the main reason I switched back to Gigabyte and the Z77X chip. I hoped Intel could get it right and they did. Now that the F14 BIOS is available it appears that Gigabyte has it all together for the GA-X77X-UD5H MB.

Comment

Ken429, My question is, did you really read those threads?

This is the situation: Boards released for Sandy Bridge CPUs, with the Intel 6 series chipsets (Z68, P67, etc), can also be used with Ivy Bridge CPUs. To do so, you must perform a very specific UEFI/BIOS update, and yes it can be in specific, sequential steps, ASRock has a similar procedure for their 6 series chipset boards for use with Ivy Bridge CPUs, as well as warning users to update certain drivers.

The problem is, users with 6 series chipset boards that are still using Sandy Bridge CPUs, are blindly updating their UEFI/BIOS to the version meant for compatibility with Ivy Bridge CPUs. The result is they have issues, really no surprise. The second post in the first thread you provided a link to, was by a moderator saying NOT to do that. Granted, the UEFI download page may not have had giant warnings with flashing lights so the "it's new, it's new, I gotta have it!!" users might just notice. I imagine some would still do it anyway.

But, how do the mistakes of those users equate to ASUS, or anyone else, releasing a buggy, bad UEFI? It doesn't, it is pure ID10T error.

I've sat back and watched other owners of my ASUS SaberTooth P67 board do the same thing, update to the Ivy Bridge compatible UEFI, while still using a Sandy Bridge CPU. I won't touch those new UEFIs with a ten foot pole, not because they are bad, but because they aren't meant for use with my i7-2600K Sandy Bridge CPU.

I've read about ASRock users also doing this to themselves. At some point, manufactures might think that people building their own PCs will be smart enough to know you just can't download and install something without knowing what it is, or is meant to do. Alas, we are in the era of the Nanny state, that must protect us from ourselves, or it's their fault.

Comment

parsec,
                    Well, I guess your belated response is a slap on the wrist for me being so dumb. However, I'm dumb and happy since I have the latest BIOS (3402) installed - the system finally runs like it should. I have run it with a Sandy Bridge (2600K) and an Ivy Bridge (3570K) and not had any problems. In fact, the 2600K is running 4.5GHz on all "Auto" and seems very stable running Prime95 for many hours. I could not get there with the older BIOS's. But...I still favor the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H/3770K system and the Gigabyte support I find on the TweakTown Forums.
                    Last edited by Ken429; 11-08-2012, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X