Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z - New Build - Suggestions

Hello all,

It's been a while since I've posted here, but check in quite often.
    I was blown away with the help I received from the Mods and other members on my first build, so I thought I'd start a thread for my new project.
    Almost all of the parts have been ordered and are on the way.

Here's what I've got coming or sitting in my office:

Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
    ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
    i7Core 2600k Sandy Bridge (newest one)
    Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
    16GB Corsair Vengeance (1600
    (5) 120GB OCZ Agility 3 SSDs
    Evga GeForce GTX 580
    Ultra X4 1600W PSU
    BD Burner
    DVD Burner
    Creative XFi Titanium Fatal1ty Champ

I'm actually building (2) of these systems almost identical, but the other will have 3 560's in 3way SLI.(Ive never done SLI before either)

First, I'm looking for guidance/suggestions for how to implement RAID 10 with (4) drives on this board.
    I'm assuming since they're SSDs, I don't have to be concerned as much with using the SATA III ports...?
    The extra drive will be in a removable bay and not part of the RAID setup.
    Any tips you guys can throw my way before I get started would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    -Jeremy

ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
    i7Core 2600k Sandy Bridge
    Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
    16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600
    Evga GeForce GTX 580
    Ultra X4 1600W PSU
    Lite On BD Burner
    ASUS CD/DVDRW
    Klipsch Pro Media 5.1
    Ultra Aluminus Card Reader, eSATA, USB3.0
    Drobo (4Bay) 6TB
    Icy Dock (4Bay) 1.5TB
    Logitech G19 Keyboard
    Cyborg RAT-9 Mouse

Re: Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z - New Build - Suggestions

couple of things to keep in mind with raid and ssd. The ssd trim function doesn't work in raid, and the ssd you picked uses asyncron flash. Those ssds get slower the fuller they are. If you still got a chance, I would return it and pay that little more to get some with syncron flash instead.

also, I don't entirely get the point of both a BD and a DVD burner .. the BD should be enough as it burns anything "older" as well.

Besides that, its looks like a sweet A** system .. and prolly heck of a bum on your bank account ;)
    My advice - never visit a short-url, no matter who gives it to you. You can't trust any source at any time when you don't know your target
    Whitey: ROG Crosshair V Formula/Thunderbolt, AMD 1090T @ 3.2GHz w. NZXT Havic 140, Corsair XMS3 1333 8GB kit, HIS IceQ X HD 6870, Corsair Force GT 120GB, OCZ Vertex4 256GB, Kingston SSDNow 16GB, Samsung 500GB 3½" in casedock when needed, Chieftec Nitro88+ 650W, NZXT H2 White, 3x Asus VS248 24"
    Snuggles: Zotac Zbox HD-ID40 (Atom d525, worst purchase ever on cpu), Patriot Pyro 60GB (Thanks to Tweaktown Giveaway), 4GB 800' DDR2 SO-DIMM
    Bcube (NAS): ASUS F1A75-I Deluxe, AMD A6-3500 @ 2.1GHz, LSI 9240-8i (M1015) controller, GSkill Ares 1866 8GB blue kit, 4x Seagate SV35.5 2TB, 1x Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB, 1x Samsung HD103UJ, 1x Samsung F4 2TB, Temp. Rebel9 Alu case, Corsair H60, 2x Icy Dock MB973SP-B, NZXT UI01, Enermax T.B. Silence on docks and cpu, Aurum 500W gold PSU. (Draws 65W average, doesn't peak above 100W at any time)

Comment

Thx dJabba,

I was aware of the asynchronous flash issue, but was lured in by a good price. The benchmark results I could find pertaining to this didn't indicate too much of a difference though.
      Fortunately, these rigs will also have plenty of external storage and the SSDs should never get close to full. Also, I plan to use Diskkeeper with Hyperfast.
      It's my understanding that while this technology is different from TRIM, it accomplishes almost the same thing with regard to free space consolidation and minimal drive fragmentation.
      I've been using the Hyperfast module for about 2 years and so far have not seen any drop in performance when running ATTO.

My main questions at this stage are:
      1. Exactly which ports on the mobo should I use to set up RAID 10 using the Intel controller?
      2. Should I update the FW on the drives using another system before beginning the setup?

Luckily, these machines are being built as 'home office' workstations (as requested by our company President), so my investment should be $0.
      However, the pressure is on to make sure they're solid and impressive. ;P

ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
      Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
      Evga GeForce GTX 580
      Ultra X4 1600W PSU
      Lite On BD Burner
      ASUS CD/DVDRW
      Klipsch Pro Media 5.1
      Drobo (4Bay) 6TB
      Icy Dock (4Bay) 1.5TB
      Logitech G19 Keyboard
      Cyborg RAT-9 Mouse

Comment

thats always the problem with benchmarks, they don't reflect real world performance and are usually done on empty drives with OS on another drive. I can recommend this thread for more info: http://forums.tweaktown.com/storage-...rformance.html

Personally I don't run raid as it has fundamental flaws imo., plus I don't need more speed then my SSDs give me as they are. My NAS uses raidz2 though, which is somewhat safer in terms of compatibility.

When it comes to SSD firmwares, you should check the web there. Some are pretty flawed with the release firmware and should be upgraded before used. I'm don't have any experience with your drives personally, so can't say anything specific. There is a chance to brick the SSDs when upgrading firmwares, so either do it right away or don't do it (unless you can spare them while you wait 2-6 weeks for a replacement) - thats my oppinion. There is always the golden rule: "If it aint broke, don't try to fix it".
        My advice - never visit a short-url, no matter who gives it to you. You can't trust any source at any time when you don't know your target
        Whitey: ROG Crosshair V Formula/Thunderbolt, AMD 1090T @ 3.2GHz w. NZXT Havic 140, Corsair XMS3 1333 8GB kit, HIS IceQ X HD 6870, Corsair Force GT 120GB, OCZ Vertex4 256GB, Kingston SSDNow 16GB, Samsung 500GB 3½" in casedock when needed, Chieftec Nitro88+ 650W, NZXT H2 White, 3x Asus VS248 24"
        Snuggles: Zotac Zbox HD-ID40 (Atom d525, worst purchase ever on cpu), Patriot Pyro 60GB (Thanks to Tweaktown Giveaway), 4GB 800' DDR2 SO-DIMM
        Bcube (NAS): ASUS F1A75-I Deluxe, AMD A6-3500 @ 2.1GHz, LSI 9240-8i (M1015) controller, GSkill Ares 1866 8GB blue kit, 4x Seagate SV35.5 2TB, 1x Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB, 1x Samsung HD103UJ, 1x Samsung F4 2TB, Temp. Rebel9 Alu case, Corsair H60, 2x Icy Dock MB973SP-B, NZXT UI01, Enermax T.B. Silence on docks and cpu, Aurum 500W gold PSU. (Draws 65W average, doesn't peak above 100W at any time)

Comment

Alright... I finally got all of the parts (except the Rad boxes for the Swiftech systems) and finished putting these together on Friday.
          Windows 7 install Friday evening as well as Updates, Drivers and general OS tweaking.
          To my dismay, I can't begin any overclocking until the LCS is in because that stock cooler is worthless. Can't even run Prime at stock settings for more than about 8 minutes without hitting 85+. :(
          I expect to be able to install the liquid cooling by next weekend, latest.
          On a positive note, but rather meaningless...this thing scores 7.8 out of 7.9 in WEI. Although the 7.8 is the score for the Processor. Is this because of the new 3xxx CPUs? Or do I just need to OC it?
          Also, the array seems to be performing OK with an AS SSD score of 1029. My previous build only had one SSD and I couldn't get above a 207.

My next line of questions would be how to achieve the best OC for this setup?
          I'll send BIOS info according to the template once I have the Swiftwech installed in the hope that the fine folks here can help me break a minimum 5Ghz with this rig. :)

ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
          Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
          Evga GeForce GTX 580
          Ultra X4 1600W PSU
          Lite On BD Burner
          ASUS CD/DVDRW
          Klipsch Pro Media 5.1
          Drobo (4Bay) 6TB
          Icy Dock (4Bay) 1.5TB
          Logitech G19 Keyboard
          Cyborg RAT-9 Mouse

Comment

sorry didnt look at this post earlier,just want to say the ocz vertex3 would be better choice for ssd,agility uses non or asynchronous nand(cant remember) but when drive is quarter or half full performance drops off in huge numbers,i do know that the vertex3 uses the memory where if full no performance is lost
            Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
            Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
            Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
            Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
            1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
            1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
            Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
            Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
            Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
            K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
            L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
            Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
            Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
            http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
            Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
              sorry didnt look at this post earlier,just want to say the ocz vertex3 would be better choice for ssd,agility uses non or asynchronous nand(cant remember) but when drive is quarter or half full performance drops off in huge numbers,i do know that the vertex3 uses the memory where if full no performance is lost
              Unfortunately, they were already installed. I still can't complain considering I have nothing invested though. :)
              I'm just anxious to get to the OC stage now.

ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
              Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
              Evga GeForce GTX 580
              Ultra X4 1600W PSU
              Lite On BD Burner
              ASUS CD/DVDRW
              Klipsch Pro Media 5.1
              Drobo (4Bay) 6TB
              Icy Dock (4Bay) 1.5TB
              Logitech G19 Keyboard
              Cyborg RAT-9 Mouse

Comment

Re: Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z - New Build - PROBLEMS :(

Please take a moment and read the description of my situation. I'm pretty bummed out and at wits end with a $3800 paperweight atm.

I got this machine running last weekend and was patiently awaiting the rad box in order to install the liquid cooling before proceeding with any major overclocking attempts.
                Once I had things pretty well tuned in and all my apps, etc set up...I decided it would be wise to create a System Image and Backup and save it to a disc that wasn't part of the array.
                When I tried to save the image to the removable drive, I realized I created it as a Dynamic disc and not Basic.
                So, since the removable had never been used I thought simply changing it and reformatting in Disk Management would be simple enough.
                I applied the changes and was prompted to Reboot. The PC would not boot to Windows at all after POST...?

After troubleshooting anything and everything I thought might be the problem, it still will not start Windows.
                It does POST. The Intel RAID Config (Ctrl - I) still showed a healthy and bootable array, but immediately after POST, the screen flickers really fast and it loops to another reboot.

I've tried...removing the RAM except one stick and have tried different modules one at a time. I also tried removing all peripherals and external drives, disabling all controllers other than the Intel RAID controller.
                Cleared the CMOS, confirmed BIOS settings...still no boot following POST.
                I cant even boot to a CD or DVD which makes no sense to me...?

As a last ditch effort I went into the RAID utility and removed the array thinking I would simply format all of the drives with OCZ toolbox, recreate an array and start over.
                Even then it will not boot to either optical drive, or to a single drive attached to a different controller.

At this point I have no idea what the problem could be. I've tried to verify the LEDs on the motherboard and have watched the Debug codes as well, but at the moment after POST it flickers and reboots so fast, I've been unable to verify a particular code or problem. I'm not quite advanced enough, nor do I have the tools to attempt using a multimeter or anything to diagnose the problem.

If anyone can assist me or point me in a direction, I'd be so very appreciative. This build has been a long time in the making and so far it's not shaping up to be a very Merry Christmas. :(
                I'm pretty sure something has failed, but cannot determine what it might be.

...calling Obi-Wan Kenobi!

ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
                Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
                Evga GeForce GTX 580
                Ultra X4 1600W PSU
                Lite On BD Burner
                ASUS CD/DVDRW
                Klipsch Pro Media 5.1
                Drobo (4Bay) 6TB
                Icy Dock (4Bay) 1.5TB
                Logitech G19 Keyboard
                Cyborg RAT-9 Mouse

Comment

wOw...no replies at all. :( Quite a different experience from when I posted about my Gigabyte build.
                  I took the SSDs to work with me last week, plugged each one in to a SATA port and used OCZ toolbox to Secure Erase them all and verify the FW.
                  Put them back in, went into the BIOS, loaded Optimized defaults and re-did all installs from scratch. I was happy until yesterday.
                  I decided to move a few things around on my desk and inadvertently bumped the eSATA cable for an external Icy Dock enclosure.
                  I heard the sound from Windows like a USB cable had been disconnected so I checked what I might have bumped and couldn't see the external drives.
                  These are just for storage and have no boot sector or anything on them.
                  Since the drives weren't showing up in 'Computer' I reseated the cable, heard the sound and then restarted.
                  Once again, the PC powers on, POSTS, I can go into the BIOS, etc. Immediately after POST (set for 2 seconds), it loops back to restart.

I'm thinking there's something wrong with the motherboard, though it ran stable since reinstallation until now.
                  No OCing because i still haven't gotten far enough to install the liquid.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've cleared the CMOS, tried the other BIOS, unplugged everything except the video card.
                  The RAID BIOS (Intel) shows the array as Bootable and all Member Disks are present.
                  I don't understand why I cant even boot to a CD by choosing it as an override...it sees the optical drives in the BIOS.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated since I now have a $3500 paperweight. :(
                  Of course, no one on the ASUS board has shown any interest or offered any help...

ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
                  Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
                  Evga GeForce GTX 580
                  Ultra X4 1600W PSU
                  Lite On BD Burner
                  ASUS CD/DVDRW
                  Klipsch Pro Media 5.1
                  Drobo (4Bay) 6TB
                  Icy Dock (4Bay) 1.5TB
                  Logitech G19 Keyboard
                  Cyborg RAT-9 Mouse

Comment

try leaving cmos battery out for longer,30mins to overnight then try,check all your connections too,sata/esata/usb/power cables connected to the mb,sometimes it can hang/reboot if your sata cable isnt fully seated
                    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

On it...thanks wazza300!

ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
                      Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
                      Evga GeForce GTX 580
                      Ultra X4 1600W PSU
                      Lite On BD Burner
                      ASUS CD/DVDRW
                      Klipsch Pro Media 5.1
                      Drobo (4Bay) 6TB
                      Icy Dock (4Bay) 1.5TB
                      Logitech G19 Keyboard
                      Cyborg RAT-9 Mouse

Comment

That worked like a charm, man..thanks again.
                        Seems to be all good. Next stop...Swiftech install and some attempts at OC.

Thx again wazza!

ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
                        Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
                        Evga GeForce GTX 580
                        Ultra X4 1600W PSU
                        Lite On BD Burner
                        ASUS CD/DVDRW
                        Klipsch Pro Media 5.1
                        Drobo (4Bay) 6TB
                        Icy Dock (4Bay) 1.5TB
                        Logitech G19 Keyboard
                        Cyborg RAT-9 Mouse

Comment

Spoke too soon...restarted after an update and it did the same thing again.
                          I'm thinking this mobo is a POS.

ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
                          Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
                          Evga GeForce GTX 580
                          Ultra X4 1600W PSU
                          Lite On BD Burner
                          ASUS CD/DVDRW
                          Klipsch Pro Media 5.1
                          Drobo (4Bay) 6TB
                          Icy Dock (4Bay) 1.5TB
                          Logitech G19 Keyboard
                          Cyborg RAT-9 Mouse

Comment

Are you using latest BIOS? And what dram bus voltage,imc and CPU voltage are you using?
                            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                            Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Well, I still can't quite put my finger on what the issue was.But, I re-seated every connection, removed the CMOS battery again to clear everything, replaced the battery with a new one the next day, installed the Swiftech liquid kit and did an overnight leak test, rechecked all cables and connections, configured the BIOS to optimized defaults then changed to X.M.P. Profile for 1600 RAM and adjusted RAID settings. At this point everything seems solid. I ran Prime95 for about an hour just to see what difference the liquid made. wOw! It went from about 45-46°C at idle down to about 27°C. During the Prime run (mixed) temps didn't break 56° under 100% load.

So, now that this thing seems to be ready, would anyone be willing to help or point me toward a base/template for a setup similar to this?
                              From what I've read, it's not cool to use AI Suite for a serious or stable OC and all should be done at the BIOS level. Is this correct or will the Auto Tuning work well?
                              Also, is it possible to achieve a 5Ghz or higher stable OC with this hardware configuration?
                              If anyone would like to help try, I'd appreciate any and all advice!

Thanks in advance for your time.
                              Last edited by Jerm1970; 01-08-2012, 12:40 PM. Reason: fat fingered

ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
                              Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
                              Evga GeForce GTX 580
                              Ultra X4 1600W PSU
                              Lite On BD Burner
                              ASUS CD/DVDRW
                              Klipsch Pro Media 5.1