ASUS P8P67 series Double POST at Cold Boot Fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS P8P67 series Double POST at Cold Boot Fix

Some of you may have been experiencing a double POST on your P8P67 series motherboard whereupon after powering on the system from a cold boot, the board will power on and then immediately reset itself before it actually POSTs and shows any display on the screen. I’ll explain the fix below and give some information about why this happens.
    First, I would like to stress the importance of flashing the BIOS to the latest BIOS revision as listed on our support website, http://support.asus.com/download. You can access the ASUS EZ Flash tool from within the UEFI (advanced options, tools) to flash the BIOS from any removable device such as a USB flash drive.
    From time to time we needed to implement full resets in order to maintain stability due to the architecture of the Sandy Bridge platform. For instance, the system may require one full reset when the PCH power has been cut during S5 power state. To fix the most common additional reset (double POST when powering on from off state), enter UEFI BIOS -> go to ‘Advanced’ tab -> go down to ‘APM’, press Enter -> enable the “Power on by PCIe.” function. Then press F10 to save & exit. After save & exit, let the system boot into Windows or other OS, then perform a proper shutdown: Start button -> Shut down. You will no longer have the double POST. We will fix this in an upcoming BIOS release.

Re: ASUS P8P67 series Double POST at Cold Boot Fix

Well that didn't work for me. Asus P8P67 Deluxe with latest bios installed - 1503.
    Gizas! what a mess :)

Comment

Depending on what all controllers you're using and what you have connected to the board, some of these extra resets may be required by the Sandy Bridge architecture. You can try disabling any controllers that you're not using and see if that helps.

Comment

1 video card on pci-e and one sound card on pci + 5 usb 2.0 + 3xSata II hdd + 1xSata dvdrw. That's all the devices connected atm. The problem is similar with the one I had with the P5Q Deluxe motherboard after I've installed the EFI Bios.
        Nothing connected on lan ports so the network is disabled.
        Last edited by DarKSeeD; 04-16-2011, 01:22 AM. Reason: Extra info

Comment

I think that Mason might be referring to the Storage Controllers themselves and not the cards you have seated on the board.

If you go into device manager and look under storage controllers and if you are not using say the Marvel 6gig or the Intel 6gig controllers you might uninstall them in device manager and then reboot and hopefully this will do the reset Mason is talking about.
          Kipper
          Hardware/Software Reviewer

Comment

Originally posted by HDbagger View Post
            I think that Mason might be referring to the Storage Controllers themselves and not the cards you have seated on the board.

If you go into device manager and look under storage controllers and if you are not using say the Marvel 6gig or the Intel 6gig controllers you might uninstall them in device manager and then reboot and hopefully this will do the reset Mason is talking about.
            I've disabled whatever I don't need and it still does that, that's why I've made a list with the devices connected and ports used.

Comment

OK, thanks for clearing that up for me.

If you look in the device manager and those SATA III 6 gig connections are still there you might uninstall, reboot and let windows find them again.

If you have already tried that then I am out of any fresh ideas.

Hope you get this figured out
              Kipper
              Hardware/Software Reviewer

Comment

Now it started to do POST twice in a row!

Comment

Have you also disabled in BIOS any controllers that you aren't using? If you load BIOS setup defaults (F5) and then save & exit (F10), do you have the same symptoms?

Comment

Got the same issue. Not overly bothered by it. I thought it was the surge protection feature on the Mobo. lol.

Just want to confirm that it will not harm the system if left the way it is until the bios update that fixes this issue???

Im also noticing on POST, that it shows the ASUS logo runs a bit of text then runs back to the ASUS logo before booting windows?? Is that normal??

Also is there any ETA on the BIOS update that fixes the on off on issue???

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ASUS - Mason Winner View Post
                      Have you also disabled in BIOS any controllers that you aren't using? If you load BIOS setup defaults (F5) and then save & exit (F10), do you have the same symptoms?
                      Sorry for the late reply. Yes, same issue after doing all the steps you've described. It's pretty annoying.

Comment

I don't want to push my luck but it seems that after the last update (1606) the double POST is gone.

Comment

After the 1703 update the double post is back!

Comment

I've noticed that if I disable the XMP profile and use directly the 1600Mhz settings corresponding to the memory specifications the double POST is gone.

Comment

Hi DarKSeeD. If you re-enable XMP does the issue return? Also, are there any other changes in your BIOS or is everything at default settings aside from settings need to configure the memory to 1600 MHz?

Comment

Working...
                              X