TRX40 Taichi no boot to BIOS with Nvidia A100 GPU6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRX40 Taichi no boot to BIOS with Nvidia A100 GPU6

I am trying to add an Nvidia A100 GPU to a system that has been rock solid for about a year.

Components:

ASRock Taichi P1.70
    Ryzen Threadripper 3960X Microcode 830f10/8301039
    2 x (RAID1) ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe Gen3x4 PCIe M.2 2280
    SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 5700 XT 100416NT+8GSR 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 x16 ATX Video Card
    G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel XMP 2.0
    G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel XMP 2.0
    Enermax MaxTytan 80+ Titanium certified Full Modular 1250W Power Supply

The system above has worked absolutely flawlessly for 9 months. No complaints, no issues.

I have installed the latest BIOS as of today.

I am trying to add an Nvidia A100 GPU.

With the A100 in PCIe slot 1 (closest to CPU) or slot 3 (middle on the board), the system will not boot - not even the ASRock logo with del/F2 option to go to bios appears. In other words, the monitor receives no HDMI signal even after waiting for 10+ minutes. The mouse and KBD also do not get USB power.

On steady-state (after waiting 2-3 minutes) the system draws ~170W power (from the power supply LED display).

The board does draw some power, as it heats up - to the touch.

I pulled the AMD Video Card and put in a small/old NVIDIA GE Force GT 1030 video card (does not require PCIe power) to simplify the setup. Same result.

I realize this is not a common setup - I am not a gamer or miner - this is for simulations - Matlab, Comsol, etc.

If anyone has done something similar, or is an expert on ASRock OC Bios and specifically the PCIE4 options - your help would be greatly appreciated?

The Dr.Debug codes shown after about 2-3 minutes are:

ad
    df
    de

Thank you,

This is an old post, but I just experienced the same symptoms on a Z790 Zaichi. I have an RTX3070, and it seems to be Nvidia causing my problem, if I tried to enter uefi it would just hang the system. What the problem was in my case is that I am using Nvidia HD Audio from my gpu HDMI port to a stereo receiver, and apparently Nvidia handles this by creating a second hidden desktop that runs the HD audio. I verified this by going into display settings, and it shows 2 screens, if I disable screen 2 my audio quits working. Anyway, I believe that when I boot with my stereo on and try to enter uefi, it is going to screen 2 and just hangs. I turn off my stereo and I enter uefi just fine.

Comment

Working...
    X