asrock trx40 creator, with 3990x!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• asrock trx40 creator, with 3990x!

HI. i purchased a trx40 creator motherboard, for use with a 3970x.

after the motherboard arrived, i decided to swap to a 3990x, despite the board not having the strongest VRM in the world. i thought "it can do 1000w, thats gonna easily be enough for a sensible bit of PBO, im not after any world records"

anyway, long story short, i have a few problems.

first, i have no wifi or bluetooth from the onboard system. ive installed all drivers, force enabled in bios. nothing. they dont even show in the device manager with an error.

i have emailed Asrock, and posted to the Asrock forum.. days later, no replies.

second, PBO. if i enable PBO with motherboard max settings, i get decent clock speeds, up to 4.2ghz all core, with the chip eating a massive 6-700w.. i have an enormous external watercooler, so even like this, my temps are under 68 degrees.

the VRM reports about 65 degrees.

however after about 30 seconds of benchmarking, the cpu stats throttling banks of cores down to 500mhz, then back up to 4.2. this destroys performance, with benchmarks coming in lower than stock clocks.

checking HWinfo, all my temperatures are fine.. core voltages are peaking at 1.31v which is easily in-spec.

However, i get occasional triggers of the "prochot EXT" sensor. -this happens occasionally, NOT every time the clocks drop, however it may be connected.

according to the HWinfo forum, "prochot EXT" is a thermal throttle caused by something other than the cpu.

this makes sense, since i also have "prochot CPU" and that never triggers.

so. i need to know what is overheating on the board..? or what is causing the throttling.? doesnt appear to be anything with a readable temperature sensor on it.

after further testing i found that limiting the cpu to lower wattages makes the problem occur after longer times under load, which suggests an overheating issue.

however, unless i limit the cpu to 400 watts (only 120 watts above stock, and less than 50% of the board rating) it always happens.

below a 400w limit i can render for hours, although im not sure if it might throttle eventually.

basically whats going on? a board with a 1000w VRM shouldnt be limited to 400w (which, incidentally isnt enough for PBO on the 3970 either, in case somebody tells me its the wrong board for the 3990)

plus my wifi doesnt work.

plus im annoyed because Asrock seem to be ignoring me.

help?

Re: asrock trx40 creator, with 3990x!

The following video tells a lot about that CPU. Be sure and pay attention to the what it says about 4th gen PCIe SSDs.

It's hard to watch, but I can't look away - Threadripper 3990X - YouTube

Comment

have you tried re-seating the WiFi/BT card?

Comment

Originally posted by TheTexasR.A.T. View Post

i wasnt going to bother until i had another reason to take machine apart, since it would mean stripping down whole machine, to access back of mobo, to remove heatsink over rear panel connectors...

usb wifi dongle works ok..

however this morning i had a stroke of absolute genius

i attached antenna to socket and gave it a good wiggle, thus wiggling card inside.

wifi and bluetooth online!

yay!

thanks for the suggestion. :)

Comment

i wasnt going to bother until i had another reason to take machine apart, since it would mean stripping down whole machine, to access back of mobo, to remove heatsink over rear panel connectors...

usb wifi dongle works ok..

however this morning i had a stroke of absolute genius

i attached antenna to socket and gave it a good wiggle, thus wiggling card inside.

wifi and bluetooth online!

yay!

thanks for the suggestion. :)

Comment

The following video tells a lot about that CPU. Be sure and pay attention to the what it says about 4th gen PCIe SSDs.

It's hard to watch, but I can't look away - Threadripper 3990X - YouTube

thanks for the reply.. i already watched that video, but i watched it again, just in case i missed something relevant..

i appreciate their comments re. optane being superior.. however... doesnt seem related to either my wifi (solved) and PBO issues? did i miss something even watching it second time?

Comment

so.. i think ive figured out my PBO issue... likely nothing to do with motherboard and more my lack of understanding of PBO. i wish somebody had heard my symptoms and pointed me in the right direction.. i had to detective it out myself!

so, cpu isnt hitting temp limit, its hitting voltage limit.

according to ryzen master, seems for 3990x all core max voltage is set to 1.18v... with more than 330 or so amps set in pbo , i was hitting the 1.18v limit and downclocking.

i assume PBO scalar is the fix to that issue, but to be honest, with a $4k cpu i wish to last many, many years of hard rendering, i might just leave it as its currently set.. i do wonder what sort of headroom there is there though......

Comment

Originally posted by robin lawrie View Post
                thanks for the reply.. i already watched that video, but i watched it again, just in case i missed something relevant..

i appreciate their comments re. optane being superior.. however... doesnt seem related to either my wifi (solved) and PBO issues? did i miss something even watching it second time?
                The thought I had was maybe it is the SSD being hit to the point that its slowing down, like a throttle. I am really just guessing in the dark. Not an expert at all, other than the re-seating of RAM, hence the though of the m.2 card needing to be re-seated.

Anyway glad you got WiFi and BT. Hope you can figure the rest.

OH, I have heard about some motherboards that the CPU socket was not screwed tight to the motherboard. Its a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by robin lawrie View Post

Just thought that maybe the SSD was getting hammered to the point it seemed to be throttling. I no expert, was just taking a thought in the dark.

Anyway, I have also heard about the CPU socket on some TR4 motherboards not being screwed tight enough of which it made it thermal throttle. It could just be yours came lose too.

Comment

Just thought that maybe the SSD was getting hammered to the point it seemed to be throttling. I no expert, was just taking a thought in the dark.

Anyway, I have also heard about the CPU socket on some TR4 motherboards not being screwed tight enough of which it made it thermal throttle. It could just be yours came lose too.

Comment

Working...
                    X