Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threadripper 1950x on Fatal1ty x399 under Linux

Hi,

I build a system based on the Fatal1ty x399 with a Threadripper 1950x, 64 gigs of GSKILL RAM as a headless system for intensive calculations (no, not cryptocurrency). I updated to the latest BIOS (2.00); OS on an M2 drive (Samsung) and temporary video card (Zotac GTX650ti).

The cooler is not so great as I am limited in space; it is a Noctua NH-U9 TR4-SP3; the best I could find for a 4U rackmount case. The case is well ventilated with 5 fans.

I want to achieve stability not overclocked first before I try anything but.... not getting there.....

I first tested the RAM; got it through 24 hours of constant testing; it is fine. Then to CPU testing.

I run under Linux kernel 4.15.2. I started mprime on the 32 threads using blended mode (the default). It runs great for a while (4 to 5 hours) but then I start loosing threads. CPU temperature reported by lmsensors is about 60 degrees which is acceptable.

30 seconds to a minute after I stop mprime, the system freezes and nothing cant bring it back online but a reset or powerdown.

I am puzzled. The bios options are mostly set to default values (auto). I would expect the system to be stable under normal frequencies and voltages.

What could be wrong? I could try to play with voltages but I find this very weird that I would have to do this at stock speed. I have never had any issues such as this in the past. Overclocking as has always been system freeze or CPU loosing threads in mprime but never did I have a system freeze this way.

tcn
    X48-ds5; Q9550S, 440MHz FSB, 3.733GHz; NH12CP-SE14; Mushkin 996599 (5-5-5-12, pc2-8500),
    Sapphire HD-5770 Vapor-X, EVGA NVidia 9800GT; Cooler Master HAF932;
    Corsair TX750
Working...
X