• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow read and write speeds on M2 NVME drive on Z97 Extreme 6

Mb: Z97 extreme 6
    BIOS VERSON:2.70
    HD: ADATA SX8000NP 512G
    VGA: Nvidia gtx 1060 6G
    RAM: Corsair vengeance ddr3 2400mhz 16G (2x8)
    CPU: intel i7 4790K

I have recently installed an M2 SSD (ADATA SX8000NP) hardware into my pc but for some reason I am not getting anywear close to the projected devices read and write speeds. Actually it's slower than my previous SSD.

I have been using two programs. HD Tach x64 on its default settings and Crystal disk mark x64 installer version on default settings. For both I am seeing read and write speeds around 700 mb/s instead of the drives rated speeds. I contacted ADATA and threw them basically figured out it was the Motherboard or something not being set up right in BIOS

So far I have updated the bios on the motherboard, and updated all the drivers on windows. I have no other sata devices to unplug.

Not sure what was going on and I was hopeing that someone may know what else I should be doing. Thanks

Re: Slow read and write speeds on M2 NVME drive on Z97 Extreme 6

Originally posted by Cy3br_Odyssey View Post

I have recently installed an M2 SSD (ADATA SX8000NP) hardware into my pc but for some reason I am not getting anywear close to the projected devices read and write speeds. Actually it's slower than my previous SSD.

I have been using two programs. HD Tach x64 on its default settings and Crystal disk mark x64 installer version on default settings. For both I am seeing read and write speeds around 700 mb/s instead of the drives rated speeds. I contacted ADATA and threw them basically figured out it was the Motherboard or something not being set up right in BIOS

So far I have updated the bios on the motherboard, and updated all the drivers on windows. I have no other sata devices to unplug.

Not sure what was going on and I was hopeing that someone may know what else I should be doing. Thanks

I have this same exact model except for being the 256gb version. I had the same issue as you at first until I placed the drive in another PCI-E x 16 slot my scores nearly doubled. Seems like depending on what slot the card is in the drive will either run at 2.0 or 3.0 x4 speeds. On mine I'm getting 960-1000 mb/s on AS-SSD read and write and with ATTO about close to 1600 peak reads on my Z87X board. Of course since its not an actual NVME certified board the scores will be less.

Good luck!

Comment

Re: Slow read and write speeds on M2 NVME drive on Z97 Extreme 6

Originally posted by Cy3br_Odyssey View Post

I think I know what's going on because I just solved the same issue myself and you are going to give yourself a facepalm when I tell you the answer:

The z97 Extreme6 has TWO, yes TWO M.2 slots. I forgot all about this. One is a regular M.2 slot & probably the one your SSD is in now. The M.2 Ultra slot that you need for your full performance from your NVMe SSD is hiding under your video card (I'm assuming it's installed in the first PCIe slot that is closest to the CPU). Remove your video card and install your M.2 drive there.

Moving my SSD to the M.2 Ultra slot saw the performance on my Samsung 960 EVO go from a bit over 800 mb/s to 2,900 mb/s.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
      X