Thunderbolt install problem on Z170 gaming K6 motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thunderbolt install problem on Z170 gaming K6 motherboard

*Thunderbolt connection to be used with a audio interface for recording music.

Hi,

I have an ASRock Z170 gaming K6 motherboard with 7.2 version BIOS and installed a ASRock Thunderbolt 2 AIC card into the PCIE6 slot.
    1. I connected the TBT Header Cable from my Thunderbolt card to my motherboards TB1 connection.
    2. Then connected the dongle in back from the Thunderbolt card to my video card display port.
    3. Then I went into BIOS under advanced and enabled the Thunderbolt. (I didn't touch the security level setting.) When I saved changes in BIOS and rebooted I lost all my video and had to do a CMOS reset to get my graphics back. (I couldn't even see the bios loading on boot until I reset CMOS.)

Is there something I missed or did wrong?

Thanks
    Last edited by legend1863; 12-28-2016, 01:14 AM.

Re: Thunderbolt install problem on Z170 gaming K6 motherboard

Here's some additional information if it helps:

I'm running:
    • Intel Core i7-6700K Processor 4.0GHz
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 VR Ready
    • 32 GB of G.Skill DDR4-3200 RAM
    • Toshiba 1TB 7,200RPM HDD + Samsung 250GB SSD
    • Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    • ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6 Motherboard
    • CoolerMaster EVO Hyper 212 Cooler
    • EVGA 750W Bronze Power Supply

I followed the instructions listed here:

Comment

Re: Thunderbolt install problem on Z170 gaming K6 motherboard

Problem solved! (This for an audio interface with a Focusrite Clarett.)
      1. Motherboard is a ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6 and installed a ASRock Thunderbolt 2 AIC card into the PCIE6 slot with the TBT Header cable to my motherboards TB1 connection. (I left the dongle connection off from thunderbolt card to my graphics card.)
      2. In the BIOS ver 7.2 enabled the Thunderbolt function and under security level chose "Legacy".
      3. Saved changes, exited bios, and installed the program cd that came with the ASRock thunderbolt 2 AIC card.
      4. Checked my device manager and the thunderbolt was recognized and working properly.
      5. Installed my Focusrite Clarett control software, then Protools, then connected thumderbolt cable to Clarett interface turned it on and it worked.

(I kept the thunderbolt 2 aic card jumpers in the default setting.)

Comment

Working...
      X