install linux on asrock am1b-itx?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• install linux on asrock am1b-itx?

Can you install ubuntu 16.04 64bit Download Ubuntu Desktop | Download | Ubuntu on asrock am1b-itx ASRock > AM1B-ITX?
    Thank you.
    Last edited by asr; 10-10-2016, 10:46 AM.

Re: install linux on asrock am1b-itx?

I am using Ubuntu 9.1 on this board and have no problem. I am planning to use ubuntu mate 16.04.1 in future. Already downloaded the iso and tested it under vitualbox without problem. What kind of problem do you worry about?

Comment

Thank you. I asked a seller of the board, if the mainboard is ubuntu 16.04 compatible. Because he could not say, I asked here.
      I expect the mainboard to run ubuntu 16.04 and by what you say about ubuntu 9 it likely will. Can you say why you use ubuntu 9?

Are you sure any system that will run as guest on virtuelbox also will run as host on the computer in question?

Comment

Hello again
        Motherboard manufacturers don't officially support linux, except some server boards. This is because linux is rapidly changing and updating, and it is not offered by a single company. As you know, there is many linux distributions, each one configures the components to their own style.
        Instead, support for linux drivers is done in background directly by chipset makers. Today, almost all well-known chip manufacturers co-work with linux developers to make a new module which supports a family of new hardware. This unified driver model makes it possible for all distributions utilize those drivers only via updating their linux kernel.
        Usually technical support staff of board manufacturer or computer reseller have few to no knowledge in linux. Forums are best place to get help from other users (as you are doing so). Users here can help you install and configure your linux distribution. Even though, there is larger source of help in linux forums (like <cite class="_Rm">linuxquestions.org</cite><cite class="_Rm">, </cite><cite class="_Rm">forums.opensuse.org</cite><cite class="_Rm"></cite><cite class="_Rm">, </cite><cite class="_Rm">fedoraforum.org</cite><cite class="_Rm">, </cite><cite class="_Rm">askubuntu.com</cite><cite class="_Rm">, </cite>launchpad.net and many more).

A virtual computer is a good place to preview an OS, its interface and appearance. Virtual computers have simple or basic hardware, so, by using them, we cannot evaluate hardware support range of that OS.

The reason I am still using the old 9.1 is because I have not enough time to match myself to the so rapid grow of software update and evolution. Here are distributions i used up to now:
        Redhat 6, Redhat 9, Fedora 3, Suse 5, Fedora 5, Ubuntu 9.1.

Comment

Hardwaremanufactures could test a couple of linux distributions on theirproducts and tell if the hardware is linux compatable.

Ubuntu9 gets no updates. Releases - Ubuntu Wiki

Comment

Originally posted by asr View Post
            Hardwaremanufactures could test a couple of linux distributions on theirproducts and tell if the hardware is linux compatable.

Ubuntu9 gets no updates. Releases - Ubuntu Wiki
            Announcing a hardware as linux-compatible, requires supporting linux users and fixing their issues. This requires extra support staff and linux experts. If you look closer to support staff of manufacturers, you find that they even don't have any driver experts (neither for Windows nor for Unix). They usually copy (and sometimes slightly modify) chip maker's driver and offer them to users. Really, the only thing a motherboard maker supports is the BIOS. So, a motherboard maker can support an OS as far as *all* chip makers of that board officially support it, else, they can not announce it as for example XP compatible or Linux compatible.
            As I said, chip makers usually offer their linux driver to kernel developers to include in next version rather than directly to users. Exceptions are when they want to offer a driver which is not open source (like proprietary drivers of ati and nvidia), or they want let old kernel users be able to use their driver for any reason.
            Updating a linux driver includes changing the kernel modules and is not recommended for novice users; Even so, very great manufacturers (like ati and nvidia) offer drivers which do almost all steps automatically.

I will ask ubuntu to support my 9.1

Comment

Working...
            X