C2550D4I sensors/fan control broken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C2550D4I sensors/fan control broken?

I decided to upgrade the 3-pin fans in my C2550D4I FreeNAS server with some Noctua 4-pin PWM fans. I replaced all three fans, booted the box, and all three fans were spinning at 600 RPM. I assumed that the box was being smart (all fans are set to Smart Fan) but soon started getting emails about my system temps hitting critical levels.

I realized I was not running the newest BMC/BIOS, so I upgraded both. Now, the fans are stuck running at 2000 RPM, and never slow down, even with the CPU reporting temperatures of ~40C.

I've also noticed that in the BIOS the sensors have generaic names (e.g.: H/W Sensor1) all report N/A. Is there something wrong with my board? Is there a setting I missed? Is temperature reporting broken on this model?

BIOS:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	BIOS.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	756424
    Last edited by spamminator; 10-03-2016, 01:12 AM.

Re: C2550D4I sensors/fan control broken?

Originally posted by spamminator View Post
    I decided to upgrade the 3-pin fans in my C2550D4I FreeNAS server with some Noctua 4-pin PWM fans. I replaced all three fans, booted the box, and all three fans were spinning at 600 RPM. I assumed that the box was being smart (all fans are set to Smart Fan) but soon started getting emails about my system temps hitting critical levels.

I realized I was not running the newest BMC/BIOS, so I upgraded both. Now, the fans are stuck running at 2000 RPM, and never slow down, even with the CPU reporting temperatures of ~40C.

I've also noticed that in the BIOS the sensors have generaic names (e.g.: H/W Sensor1) all report N/A. Is there something wrong with my board? Is there a setting I missed? Is temperature reporting broken on this model?

BIOS:
    [ATTACH]8087[/ATTACH]

I have the exactly the same problem, the status shoes N/A for all temperature sensors. Has anyone figured it out?

Comment

Re: C2550D4I sensors/fan control broken?

I have found that the very latest BMC keeps the fans at a (too) high speed. I downgraded to 00.23.00 and the problem went away.
      Last edited by Retteren; 06-04-2017, 03:59 PM. Reason: Changed 00.27.00 to 00.23.00.

Comment

Working...
      X