BIOS update failed, now no boot :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIOS update failed, now no boot :(

hello. just built a new system with ASRock Z170M Extreme4. powered up fine, everything looked good in BIOS. had heard it was good to update BIOS asap so kicked off the internet flash thing.

internet flash downloaded BIOS v1.70, started the update, got to 86% "Processing crashless feature ..." and hung there. waited 30 minutes, nothing happening, had no choice (afaik) but to power down and restart.

of course no restart: black screen of death and nothing happens. guess i pooched the BIOS. :(

is there anything i can do?

Download page at ASRock site says "If the Flash Memory Writer utility was not able to successfully update ... your system will need service." that would really suck. i hope there are other options here.

please advise.

Re: BIOS update failed, now no boot :(

not sure if it matters what else is in the box but just in case: i3-6100, Crucial CT8G4DFD8213 x2, Crucial MX100 512GB, Corsair RM 550x, Asus Strix GTX950 DC2OC-2GD5-GAMING, HGST NAS 4GB.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead View Post
      of course no restart: black screen of death and nothing happens. guess i pooched the BIOS. :(
      Hello
      Fortunately your board has a removable bios chip that means you can program it either on an eeprom programmer or on another motherboard.

Comment

good to know. and thank you for the reply.

as it happens i found another -- more direct -- solution. poking around i saw it suggested that for recent generation ASRock boards that do not have A/B BIOS control one should try the following:

- clear CMOS.
        - format a USB key with FAT32.
        - copy the BIOS of choice to the USB key.
        - reboot with the USB key in place.
        - cross fingers, "if you're lucky the firmware will load from the USB key".

that's what i tried and it worked exactly as described. there was a considerable delay between the time i powered up and the point at which something came up on screen -- the BIOS loading from the USB -- but it eventually did its thing and i was soon back in business. minutes later my OS was loaded -- linux, i doubt windo$ could manage that -- and i was happily booting from disk like a real person.

my other ASRock board is a Z97 Extreme6 and it does have A/B BIOS control which has got me out of trouble a couple times. i guess i just assumed all their recent boards had it and i never checked before getting this new board. one lesson learned: i'll NEVER again buy a mobo that doesn't have some version of A/B BIOS control, it ain't worth the headaches.

Comment

i ran across an interesting post that opened my eyes regarding the issue of BIOS recovery as handled by the different board manufacturers. in BIOS recovery options by manufacturer the guy says of ASRock:
          Dual BIOS - Only on high end boards, double DIP sockets.
          BIOS recovery - High end boards have dual BIOS. Nothing for the low end boards except replacing the chip.
          BIOS socketed - Yes

You gotta send off for a new chip if you wreck your Asrock single chip BIOS.
          he goes on to provide a similar summary for Asus, Gigabyte and MSI. interesting stuff! i'll certainly be limiting my future ASRock purchases to the higher-end, dual BIOS boards. and i'll be taking Gigabyte motherboards a little more seriously:

Dual BIOS - Yes, on all boards
          BIOS recovery - Automatically switches to the 2nd BIOS when the first one is messed up. High end boards may have a manual switch like the MSI boards.
          BIOS socketed - No, soldered.

Comment

Thank you for your information and happy for your success.

Comment

Working...
            X