Marvell 91XX SATA 6G Controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marvell 91XX SATA 6G Controller

Hello everyone. I haven't posted for a long time. In fact my computer build has been running great since 2011 after ironing out a few BSOD issues with the help of this forum. I am running Windows 7 professional 64 bit on a Z68 Extreme 4. Recently I have noticed it becomes impossible to copy things to USB sticks and that CD's and DVD's cannot burn without errors. I noticed after upgrading my system with Windows update that the problem went away for a while. When the problem came back, I looked at the updates and they included an update for the Marvel 9xx Sata 6GB controller. I uninstalled the device and the driver using the device manager and rebooted. The problem went away for another little while.
    How can I address this problem? I can' t seem to find the driver to reinstall it manually. Any ideas?
    Thanks, Gord

Re: Marvell 91XX SATA 6G Controller

Originally posted by gordoncanada View Post
    Hello everyone. I haven't posted for a long time. In fact my computer build has been running great since 2011 after ironing out a few BSOD issues with the help of this forum. I am running Windows 7 professional 64 bit on a Z68 Extreme 4. Recently I have noticed it becomes impossible to copy things to USB sticks and that CD's and DVD's cannot burn without errors. I noticed after upgrading my system with Windows update that the problem went away for a while. When the problem came back, I looked at the updates and they included an update for the Marvel 9xx Sata 6GB controller. I uninstalled the device and the driver using the device manager and rebooted. The problem went away for another little while.
    How can I address this problem? I can' t seem to find the driver to reinstall it manually. Any ideas?
    Thanks, Gord
    I see that Marvel drivers can be downloaded directly from their website, but it asks for a part number. Does anyone know the part number?
    Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by gordoncanada View Post
      I see that Marvel drivers can be downloaded directly from their website, but it asks for a part number. Does anyone know the part number?
      Thanks
      It's - 88SE9120

You can't download the driver for these controllers at Marvell, go to your motherboard download page and get them, but if you want the newest driver there is, go here. here
      Last edited by odiebugs; 11-12-2015, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Or use the in-the-box AHCI drivers from Microsoft.

While I can't say you yourself will experience what you're seeing by using them, I can say they've been trouble free for me here on the builds I do for myself and of those that come in for whatever repairs.
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

And a note.

I DO NOT let Windows Update update ANY hardware drivers. None. Nada. Zilch.

That's the first thing I do when I install an OS before connecting it to the internet. Disable WU from updating HW drivers.
          #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
          ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Downloading the driver from the motherboard page worked perfectly! Thanks so much for the help. I upgrade drivers using Driver Genius and have also disabled Windows from doing so because of bad experiences in the past.
            Thanks, Gordon

Comment

Also, the Marvell 88SE9120 SATA 6Gb/s Controller series do NOT support TRIM.

After installing the latest version driver (marvell_9xxx_1.2.0.1048 just this week (it was I confirmed that none of the Marvell 88SE9xxx drivers support TRIM in ANY of the MS OS (7, 8, 8.1, or 10).

Tested this on a GA-Z77X-UD5H (trusted board), and ended with using the generic Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller Driver ver. 10.0.10586.0 which DOES support TRIM.

GA-Z7X-UD5H using latest F16g modded bios, which also has the Marvell firmware updated code as well.

Hope this helps.

Rite ..

Comment

Hello,
                This is good to know. I have a Z68 Extreme 4 motherboard. Could you post a link to a safe place to download the Microsoft storage spaces controller driver? I'm not sure what TRIM is, but I know it's good. So I would unistall the current Marvell driver and install this generic Microsoft driver instead?
                Thanks, Gord

Originally posted by Rite View Post

After installing the latest version driver (marvell_9xxx_1.2.0.1048 just this week (it was I confirmed that none of the Marvell 88SE9xxx drivers support TRIM in ANY of the MS OS (7, 8, 8.1, or 10).

Tested this on a GA-Z77X-UD5H (trusted board), and ended with using the generic Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller Driver ver. 10.0.10586.0 which DOES support TRIM.

GA-Z7X-UD5H using latest F16g modded bios, which also has the Marvell firmware updated code as well.

Hope this helps.

Rite ..

Comment

Originally posted by Rite View Post

Hope this helps.

Rite ..
                  How do you actually install the latest Marvell drivers? Isn't the only way to pre-install them prior to installing the OS? There's no actual setup file included with all the files I can find for the Marvell driver you referenced (or that I've otherwise found).

Comment

Working...
                  X