x99 WS-3 BIOS updates fail with code d6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• x99 WS-3 BIOS updates fail with code d6

I have an ASrock X99 WS-E motherboard (BIOS v1.10), Intel Core I7 5930K, and an EVGA Titan X.

When I attempt to flash the BIOS to the current version (v1.70), I get 5 beeps from the onboard speaker and Dr Debug shows the code d6 - "The VGA could not be recognized. Please clear CMOS and try re-installing the VGA card. If the problem still exists, please try installing the VGA card in other slots or use other VGA cards."

I've attempted clearing the CMOS and re-seating the VGA card, neither of which work.

Are there additional steps to follow or somewhere else I should be looking for troubleshooting?
    Last edited by peschkaj; 10-29-2015, 09:04 PM. Reason: Updating title with the right model number

Re: x99 WS-E BIOS updates fail with code d6

Originally posted by peschkaj View Post
    "The VGA could not be recognized. Please clear CMOS and try re-installing the VGA card. If the problem still exists, please try installing the VGA card in other slots or use other VGA cards."

I've attempted clearing the CMOS and re-seating the VGA card, neither of which work.

Are there additional steps to follow or somewhere else I should be looking for troubleshooting?

You're most likely going to have to use a lessor video card until you get that BIOS flashed. Lemme guess, a new build right?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
      You're most likely going to have to use a lessor video card until you get that BIOS flashed. Lemme guess, a new build right?
      It is indeed a new build. This is my return to having a desktop after having had laptops for the better part of 10 years. I don't have a video card sitting around either to make things happen immediately. Is it a safe bet to just buy any old graphics card on the cheap and use it to update the BIOS?

I should add that the graphics card works on the v1.10 BIOS, but nothing newer.

Comment

I should add that the graphics card works on the v1.10 BIOS, but nothing newer.
        Have you attempted flashing 1.70 from 1.10 while using that Titan X?
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Yeah, that fails - 5 beeps and the same error code. v1.50 fails, too. The only BIOS that actually worked was the v1.15, but that caused the system to lock up after 45 minutes - the secondary display went blank and the primary display stopped updating. It took a hard power cycle to fix that.

Comment

Duh. My bad.

""When I attempt to flash the BIOS to the current version (v1.70), I get 5 beeps from the onboard speaker and Dr Debug shows the code d6""

Define "attempt" please. Attempt as in it DOES flash to 1.70 then upon rebooting you're getting the 5 beeps and d6?

Comment

Yeah, that fails - 5 beeps and the same error code. v1.50 fails, too. The only BIOS that actually worked was the v1.15, but that caused the system to lock up after 45 minutes - the secondary display went blank and the primary display stopped updating. It took a hard power cycle to fix that.
              We're typing side by side :)

Try it with only one monitor connected to the primary, whatever that Titan has for ports. Choose the simplest/lowest connection that is natively supported on the monitor and card. No adapters!

Comment

Define "attempt" please. Attempt as in it DOES flash to 1.70 then upon rebooting you're getting the 5 beeps and d6?
                It does flash to 1.70 and then on boot I get 5 beeps and d6. I'm connecting with DisplayPort cables. I did try with only a single monitor and the same thing happened. I have not tried it with either an HDMI cable or a DVI cable (both supported by the Titan).

Comment

It does flash to 1.70 and then on boot I get 5 beeps and d6. I'm connecting with DisplayPort cables. I did try with only a single monitor and the same thing happened. I have not tried it with either an HDMI cable or a DVI cable (both supported by the Titan).
                  Meh, DisplayPort shouldn't cause any issues.

My guess. You'll need to contact ASRock Tech Support and have them roll a new BIOS with that Titan X incorporated.

Comment

what happen, im getting 99 code asrock ws-e with titanX. your update will be much appreciated

Comment

Working...
                    X