No announcement yet.

Samsung sm951 SSD with Asrock X99 Extreme 3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samsung sm951 SSD with Asrock X99 Extreme 3?

Im looking of an Asrock motherboard that has the driver's/BIOS to easily install the Samsung sm951 SSD via PCIe 3x4 as a boot drive for Windows 7, or possibly 8.1. I'm hoping this isn't a problem since I'm looking at the newer x99 platforms. I was hoping I could get by with the x99 Xtreme 3 because it has the 2011-v3 socket and it seems like a great value for >$200 dollars. Does anyone know if this will work? Or do I have to wait for additional BIOS updates or drivers to be released? - See more at: Samsung sm951 M.2 Ultra SSD - SSD - Storage

Re: Samsung sm951 SSD with Asrock X99 Extreme 3?

Dear tobysmiles,

X99 Extreme3 can support SM951 as boot drive for win8.1.
    Please download latest BIOS from our website as below link and install it as as GPT mode.
    http://66.226.78.22/downloadsite/BIO...3(1.80)ROM.zip

Thank you.
    ASRock TSD
    Eddy

Comment

Hi TSD,

I have an ASRock X99 Extreme 6 3.1, and I am considering adding the SM951 to my board as well. Is there anything I need to do or will it just work?

Thank you.

Comment

Dear johnathonm,

X99 Extreme 6 3.1 can support SM951 SSD.
        This board don't have to update BIOS to support this SSD.

ASRock TSD
        Eddy

Comment

Originally posted by johnathonm View Post
          Hi TSD,I have an ASRock X99 Extreme 6 3.1, and I am considering adding the SM951 to my board as well. Is there anything I need to do or will it just work?Thank you.
          How I installed Windows 7 to Samsung SM951 512GB...1-Make a bootable USB Windows 7 OS jump drive. Easy with software called "Rufus".https://rufus.akeo.ie/ ...2-BootBoot up, F9 to load BIOS defaults, F10 to save and exit. (going to default you will losing any manual settings in the BIOS)....3-Boot up, F11 (boot menu)....4-Boot to your "UEFI boot file". (Select UEFI Windows 7 install)*not your "USB: Jump Drive", select the "UEFI: XXXXX"...5-Format GPT and install your OS....6-Done....note: I did a fresh install of Windows, then replaced that install with my latest Acronis True image of my prior Windows. Worked perfectly first time.Since the SM951 is OEM, no drivers to install. Windows provided the neededfiles. No additonal drives or patches. Only BIOS updated to 2.00 Meet and exceeded the advertised speeds. Max temp when moving 150GB of data back and forth was only 42C/108F. I have 200mm fan of side of windowed case that blows at slow speed to my video card the ultra M.2 slot. I dont get 82C temps that I read!!!.....System:ASROCK X99 OC Formula MB....Before the install, updated to BIOS v2.00....Intel i7 5960X processor...OS: Window 7 64bit Professional....Rufus software-portable....Acronis True Image........sorry, don't know how to format :) ..........
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Tooth; 07-08-2015, 09:25 PM.

Comment

I have no idea what you typed there:

Is there any special process to set the SM951 as the boot drive?

Comment

Originally posted by johnathonm View Post
              I have no idea what you typed there:Is there any special process to set the SM951 as the boot drive?
              yes.I only left the SM951 plugged in. Disconnected all other SSD's and Hard drives.Make bootable USB Windows OS Change your BIOS to default settings.Reboot to "UEFI" and install windows from your bootable USB drive

Comment

Dear Tooth,

We suggest to install SM951 device under windows8.1 environment for better compatibility.
                Due to windows7,8 didn't contain with native NVME driver it need to embedded NVME driver manually.
                It's windows OS limitation, this part we suggest to refer website to install or use windows8.1 OS for try.

Thank you
                ASRock TSD
                Eddy

Comment

Originally posted by ASRock TSD-Eddy View Post
                  Dear Tooth,We suggest to install SM951 device under windows8.1 environment for better compatibility.Due to windows7,8 didn't contain with native NVME driver it need to embedded NVME driver manually.It's windows OS limitation, this part we suggest to refer website to install or use windows8.1 OS for try.Thank youASRock TSDEddy
                  Ed, where do you get your information?? I am not the one requesting help. If you read prior post, I install SM951 flawlessly on Windows 7!!I am posting help for others..............

Comment

Hi,

I was wondering if any of you could tell me what screw to order for the M2 drive? I want to secure my drive properly

Thanks

Comment

The screw should come with the SM951, mine did anyway in a little bag ,make sure you have not thrown it away.

Comment

Working...
                      X