Z87 Extreme4 maximum fan speed on boot/resume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z87 Extreme4 maximum fan speed on boot/resume

I have an nagging issue with my Z87 Extreme4 build which is in a Coolermaster HAF XB case.
    All the fan speeds are set to minimum in the BIOS.
    However on initial boot or on resume from sleep, the fans spin up to full speed for a few seconds before they throttle down to near silent.
    It's a minor issue but since I sleep and resume often it is a nuisance every time it resumes, especially with the 200mm overhead fan which gets quite loud.

Any way to keep the fans from full speed during resume?

Re: Z87 Extreme4 maximum fan speed on boot/resume

I think you will find that a normal thing. My Z87 & Z97 MB's do much the same.
    I would treat it as a normal boot test, until the BIOS operates the fan headers they run at high speed (good thing) and then calm down as the heat sensors provide information.

Comment

I suspected this I am sure you are right. The fans have to spin up before the BIOS initializes and takes over.
      I guess I am getting spoiled by fanless tablets, etc... to be honest I probably don't need the horsepower of a quad I7 anymore, time to start looking towards a broadwell or skylake fanless minipc.

Originally posted by Britgeezer View Post
      I think you will find that a normal thing. My Z87 & Z97 MB's do much the same.
      I would treat it as a normal boot test, until the BIOS operates the fan headers they run at high speed (good thing) and then calm down as the heat sensors provide information.

Comment

I agree, my ASRock boards do the same thing when booting or restarting.

But in my experience, this affect seems to calm down after a while. I can still hear the difference of fan noise when the PC starts/restarts, but the noise level is lower after a few days. I shutdown the PC every day, but I can't say that all the shutdowns I do actually is the cause of the fan speed change. It seems to be IMO.

I use the Custom profile on all the fan connected to my boards, which my Z97 board has on almost all the fan headers. I'm sure the fans being used makes a difference in the perceived noise level. Plus the length of POST on my UEFI booting Windows installations is short, so the fan control kicks in sooner.

Comment

Working...
        X