Z97 Extreme6 Sata3_3 and Sata3_4 problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Z97 Extreme6 Sata3_3 and Sata3_4 problems

I'm not surprised that nothing was resolved after working with the EaseUS technical support staff. The problem is caused by the way the EaseUS Agent Service code is written. That can't be changed on the fly or apparently even by running the Agent Service program with different options. A decision was made in the design process regarding how the destination drive for an automatic backup would be identified if the drives in a system were changed.

Rather than deal with the many possibilities, methods, and problems needed to resolve that situation, they chose to treat the drive arrangement as static and unchanging. They seem to lock the SATA ports used for the backups from being used in any other way than the original configuration when the automated backup was defined by the user. This method is not perfect even in solving the main problem, and causes the side affects that you experienced.

It's even possible that the programmer(s) were not aware that the commands/instructions they used would cause what you discovered.

I worked as a programmer for many years, you would be surprised how complex and difficult seemingly simple things are to accomplish when they are translated into a program. Most of the programming effort is not applied to the basic goal itself, but on dealing with exceptional situations and error conditions. Reducing or removing the amount of "what if..." scenarios from a program's design makes it so much easier to accomplish.

Comment

Parsec,

After spending 30+ years in systems and programming and mainframe support I have or should I say had a higher opinion of technical support.

EaseUS ToDo Home Backup does a fine job of Cloning drives but I' finding out that the system recovery part is more of a placebo than real! I must be having a bad day because nothing I try with their recovery software works for me today. I don't know if it's W8.1 and GPT formatting and or UEFI integration or what but I' coming up empty on everything I try. My old standby is Acronis 2014 build 6673 standalone still works but I ran into issues with the Windows version.

So...I'm ready to try someone else, what back software are you using/recommending with the ASRock MB's. I'm thinking of giving Nova V17 a try.
      Last edited by Ken429; 05-24-2015, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Years ago Lsdmeasap recommended Macrium Reflect Free and I've found it to be excellent for backing up and restoring my O/S drive. I use its free winPE environment from a bootable optical drive where I backup to and restore from one my my 3TB external drives.

The paid version of the Reflect software offers additional useful features and from time to time they offer a 20% - 30% discounted price.
        Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
        P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
        4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
        MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
        Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
        WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
        Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
        SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
        Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
        Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
        Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
        MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
        Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
        HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
        CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
        E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
        Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
        Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
        HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Another vote for Macrium Reflect here. I'll add another link to that of Prof Jim's, to their feature list:

Feature List - Macrium Software

Note it contains "Support for the latest UEFI motherboards with GPT booting.", and "Easily rotate backup destinations by specifying a list of alternate backup locations.".

I doubt Macrium does anything like EaseUs apparently does, by locking out changes in drive or SATA ports.

So all technical support is the same? You know that is not true. Unless the EaseUS tech support includes a programmer that knows the internals of their code, would they know enough to explain the SATA port situation? Even if they knew, would they admit to it?

Comment

Ok, I'm a Reflect convert. I've played with the free version and it appears to do everything correctly no frills but straight forward and logical. I made a couple of WinPE bootable USB sticks and they work on MBR and GPT systems. As usual, I stumbled into a minor issue - make sure the USB stick is freshly formatted before letting Reflect build the WinPE version or strange things happen when you try to boot from it. I haven't tried swapping hard drives and SATA ports but I'm sure Reflect will handle the changes. I really want the paid version that will allow daily scheduled file backups but $70 is a little steep.

I haven't tried restoring a system since I hate to do that unless I really have a disaster on my hands. Just to play it ultra safe after my EaseUS Todo Home Backup experience going from V7 to V8 to V8.1 to V8.2 and finally to V8.3 without testing a restore after V7 I have made system backups using my old reliable Acronis Offline 2014 program. I know it works!

Hopefully, since I have registered Reflect multiple times I will get notification of when the paid version is on sale. But just in case I don't, ProfJim could you please let me know via a post here if you see something that says the discount is available.

Comment

Ken,

I did some checking and found some useful Reflect information:
              1. A web search using: macrium reflect discount coupon codes provides links to several sites that claim to have valid 20% discount codes.
                Don't use any sites that require you to provide your email address.
              2. Check out Download Macrium Reflect where they say:
                About the Trial Edition All editions of Macrium Reflect can be downloaded for a 30 day trial.
                The trial is fully functional except that the ReDeploy functionality to restore images to dissimilar hardware is not included.
                The decision to remove this functionality was made on commercial grounds.
                Version v6.0.638
                Have fun test driving the automated backup feature for up to 30 days.
              3. From Macrium Reflect for Home Use Macrium Reflect v6 Home Edition prices:
                • Single license: $69.95
                • 4 pack license: $139.90

4. New to Macrium Reflect? We recommend starting with our Macrium Reflect v6 User Guide article
                You can download a .pdf of this guide here Macrium Reflect KnowledgeBase - KnowledgeBase - Macrium Software (254 pages)

Have you had enough fun already stumbling with your system?
              Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
              P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
              4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
              MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
              Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
              WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
              Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
              SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
              Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
              Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
              Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
              MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
              Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
              HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
              CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
              E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
              Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
              Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
              HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Working...
              X