Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random freezing with AsRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0

Yet another headache with this board...

I seem to get a random HARD freeze about once every few weeks, doing non-intensive tasks such as browsing on the Internet or watching YouTube videos. I hammer this thing with 3D games all the time, but it always seems to freeze up doing very simple tasks.

It is NOT temperature related. While doing these small tasks, the CPU hangs around 30C and the motherboard at 28C. I have an aftermarket cooler.

I have only a mild overclock on the CPU - FX8320

I can run Prime95 with no issues on heat or power, yet the most simple stupid tasks cause this PC to hard freeze occasional.

BIOS is updated. All drivers are updated. I have disabled all hardware acceleration in Chrome -- it seems to happen in Chrome, but that's where I spend most of my time -- this is to exclude any weird GPU-related issues regarding p-States.

At this point, I am incrementally increasing the various voltages in case this is a power issue. I have also changed LLC from Auto to Enabled.

FX-8320
    8GB G.Skill 1866 Memory
    ATI R9 270 Video Card
    Last edited by ManuteSwol; 04-22-2015, 02:01 PM.

Re: Random freezing with AsRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0

I think you're trying to fix a problem that is not caused by your hardware. It's the browser, or the plugins it uses, or the HTML script used to display a web page.

I use Firefox and get the same problem occasionally. It depends on what website I'm on, or what is running on the web page itself.

Adobe Flash player is the main offender for applications, I see it crashing all the time, and has constant updates.

Recently, my IP's news links have scripts that fail while viewing a page. The script failure ranges from an error message saying a script failed with options to end the script or try to continue running it. Frankly I think the scripts are from ads that are constantly changing.

Also, if you are using an ad blocking program, I think they can lock up the browser and PC while fighting with some ad scripts.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      I think you're trying to fix a problem that is not caused by your hardware. It's the browser, or the plugins it uses, or the HTML script used to display a web page.

I use Firefox and get the same problem occasionally. It depends on what website I'm on, or what is running on the web page itself.

Adobe Flash player is the main offender for applications, I see it crashing all the time, and has constant updates.

Recently, my IP's news links have scripts that fail while viewing a page. The script failure ranges from an error message saying a script failed with options to end the script or try to continue running it. Frankly I think the scripts are from ads that are constantly changing.

Also, if you are using an ad blocking program, I think they can lock up the browser and PC while fighting with some ad scripts.

Also, I failed to mention this is a HARD FREEZE. In other words, I have to use the power button to turn the PC back off and on. And it is not consistently reproducible.

I suspect it is poor integration with the GPU by Chrome, or a power-related spike that the motherboard isn't fast enough to respond to.

I have enabled every GPU-related "feature" in chrome's flags page and am also going to incrementally increase various voltages to see if the issue resolves itself or at least is reduced in frequency.
      Last edited by ManuteSwol; 04-23-2015, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ManuteSwol View Post
        I have only a mild overclock on the CPU - FX8320

I can run Prime95 with no issues on heat or power, yet the most simple stupid tasks cause this PC to hard freeze occasional.
        Why not disable any overclock, and load bios defaults to check? Burn-in tests do not cover 100% of instabilities.

Comment

I have exactly the same problem with chrome. when i open chrome disc usage 100% I have not found a solution for 5 months

my motherboard asrock 970 pro 3

Comment

Been over a year..

Still never found a solution to this problem.

I moved from Chrome to Opera, issue still occurs.. not browser-related.

Also changed power supplies for a separate issue.. still occurs. Also removed CPU and RAM overclocks...

Sometimes it happens twice in one day... sometimes I go a month without having the problem.

The only thing I can say, is that it seems to always happen while watching streaming video or something Flash-related.
            Last edited by ManuteSwol; 06-13-2016, 10:49 PM.

Comment

A web search using: asrock 970 extreme3 fx 8320 freezes provides information seems to indicate that your motherboard is too weak to support your fx 8320 cpu and in one post they said that the fx 8320 cpu has been removed from your motherboard's cpu support list.

This won't fix the problem, but if you set your cpu speed to 75% of it's normal rating and undervolt the cpu core voltage as much as you can and still be stable this might support the comments in the above web search. The solution might be to buy a higher, end more powerful motherboard that supports your cpu.
              Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
              P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
              4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
              MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
              Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
              WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
              Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
              SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
              Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
              Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
              Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
              MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
              Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
              HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
              CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
              E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
              Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
              Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
              HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
                A web search using: asrock 970 extreme3 fx 8320 freezes provides information seems to indicate that your motherboard is too weak to support your fx 8320 cpu and in one post they said that the fx 8320 cpu has been removed from your motherboard's cpu support list.

This won't fix the problem, but if you set your cpu speed to 75% of it's normal rating and undervolt the cpu core voltage as much as you can and still be stable this might support the comments in the above web search. The solution might be to buy a higher, end more powerful motherboard that supports your cpu.
                Still in the list...

Doesn't make sense though.. if I can jam all cores with Prime95 and it doesn't lock up, it shouldn't lock up watching a flash video.

Looks like I'll be adding ASRock to my ****list, along with Antec.
                Last edited by ManuteSwol; 06-14-2016, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Doesn't make sense though.. if I can jam all cores with Prime95 and it doesn't lock up, it shouldn't lock up watching a flash video.
                  Not always.
                  Some times ago I overclocked my CPU from 500 to 550 MHz. It was able to pass burning tests for CPU and memory, but, sometimes I got CRC errors when testing RAR archives. Undone the overclock and it never occurred.
                  Another good example is Windows XP setup. Many systems crash and reboot in the "saving settings" stage of WinXP setup while they show no problem in diagnostic tests!
                  I recommend do these steps:
                  1. Cancel any overclock on your AMD system and load defaults.
                  2. If problem not fixed, change the memory settings to what is labeled on the module; Because some BIOSes set wrong timings when they left to read automatically from SPD. My own current system configuration is so.
                  3. At last resort, use another memory type.

Hope success for you.

Comment

What brand/model number is your cpu cooler?

The cpu compatibility list for your motherboard says:
                    * For cooling the CPU and its surrounding components, please install a CPU cooler with a top-down blowing design.
                    All Vishera and Zambezi processors in the list have the red asterisk and should use a down draft cpu cooler to prevent cooling problems for the cpu and surrounding motherboard components.

Is the part number for your 8GB G.Skill 1866 memory kit listed as compatible in the ASRock or G.Skill lists for your motherboard?

We need detailed information about ALL OF THE HARDWARE in your system.

We can best help you after you create a detailed hardware list in the System Specs
                    portion of your forum profile at the bottom of the profile page or in your forum signature.
                    Be sure to include brand names and model numbers.
                    When you are done editing or creating your hardware list, save the settings.
                    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

ManuteSwol,

Seems like I have exactly same problem Z170 Pro4S system freeze - ASRock Forums

Different model, but root cause could be common..

Have you found any solution to this?

Comment

Originally posted by tor11 View Post
                        ManuteSwol,

Seems like I have exactly same problem Z170 Pro4S system freeze - ASRock Forums

Different model, but root cause could be common..

Have you found any solution to this?
                        Nope, still nothing.

Since my last post, I've replaced the video card. Still, the issue is present.

Sometimes I go two months without seeing it, sometimes it happens twice in an hour. There's no rhyme or reason to this.

It doesn't appear to be heat related, PSU related, OC related or GPU related.

About the G.Skill memory, it is not in the memory supported list.. however, I'm running it at 1600, not the 1866 it is rated at.. though I may as well set it back to 1866. The problem was not better or worse. There is a G.Skill memory on the chart that they say is supported at 1800 (rated at 2266), so I'm doubtful this is the cause.

All SMART attributes for all drives look good as well.

I see the board now has a more recent BIOS update.. though last time I did an update, it cleared my entire BIOS config -- lol.

One difference I see between our situations, is that I do not get any sound when the freeze happens. However, I have a dedicated sound card.. so maybe that is the difference.

I'd also like to note.. and I'm not an electrical engineer, but an engineer in software.. this has always felt like a power management / energy saving issue. In other words, the system goes from idle to busy (but not too busy) and the power just isn't there for whatever needs it.. and POOF.

The ONLY way I was able to reproduce the exact same scenario, was to OC the CPU and run Prime95.
                        Last edited by ManuteSwol; 11-29-2016, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Sometimes I go two months without seeing it, sometimes it happens twice in an hour. There's no rhyme or reason to this.
                          Yes, that's exactly my experience too.

About the G.Skill memory, it is not in the memory supported list.. however, I'm running it at 1600, not the 1866 it is rated at.. though I may as well set it back to 1866. The problem was not better or worse. There is a G.Skill memory on the chart that they say is supported at 1800 (rated at 2266), so I'm doubtful this is the cause.
                          My memory is on the supported list, but I had a lot of trouble with it initially. System was very slow to boot after power-up, but I haven't had that problem since then. Perhaps memory compatibility got better in later BIOS updates.

One difference I see between our situations, is that I do not get any sound when the freeze happens. However, I have a dedicated sound card.. so maybe that is the difference.
                          This is interesting as it rules out onboard sound device as a culprit, if we indeed have a same hardware issue here.

I'd also like to note.. and I'm not an electrical engineer, but an engineer in software.. this has always felt like a power management / energy saving issue. In other words, the system goes from idle to busy (but not too busy) and the power just isn't there for whatever needs it.. and POOF.
                          Do you mean some internal power management features of the CPU? Might be that ASRock made some bad implementation with their hardware there, hard to say .. and very hard to debug apparently.

Thanks for reply.

Comment

Originally posted by tor11 View Post
                            Yes, that's exactly my experience too.

My memory is on the supported list, but I had a lot of trouble with it initially. System was very slow to boot after power-up, but I haven't had that problem since then. Perhaps memory compatibility got better in later BIOS updates.

This is interesting as it rules out onboard sound device as a culprit, if we indeed have a same hardware issue here.

Do you mean some internal power management features of the CPU? Might be that ASRock made some bad implementation with their hardware there, hard to say .. and very hard to debug apparently.

Thanks for reply.
                            Again, I only have a little bit of knowledge from a components standpoint but..

I researched this issue quite a bit. I thought it was related to the video card, but I now suspect the motherboard. Modern CPUs (and GPUs for that matter) are all about efficiency and can jump clock speeds instantly due to increased load. Some of these menial tasks I suspect, can cause multiple fluctuations in clock speed within a very short amount of time. When this clock speed jump occurs, additional power is required. If something is lacking on the motherboard -- something underpowered, underclocked or there's a component of lesser quality (say, a capacitor).. the CPU isn't going to get the juice it needs when it needs it. Result? A hard freeze.

If I wanted to invest more time in this, I'd try increasing various voltages, but the problem is so sporadic.. you'd go 3-4 weeks thinking you're in the clear, then the same issue occurs once more.

There's a small piece of me that thinks it is NIC- or USB-related, but how often is it we are using the NIC or USB? It is constantly being worked...

I fear we've just been saddled with inferior motherboards which will haunt us with occasional freezes.

Comment

I fear we've just been saddled with inferior motherboards which will haunt us with occasional freezes.
                              I'm afraid this the case here..

I was thinking it might be an inferior capacitors (advertised as high quality though), but yeah...

Probably a dead end.

Comment

Working...
                              X