X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Intel Core i7-3770K version number question

Hi everyone,
    Hope someone can help.
    I have an ASRock Z77 Extreme4 MB with a i5 processor.
    Looking to upgrade to a Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz 8MB.
    The Asrock site says that this board will take ether the Core i7-3770K(E0) or (E1)
    The chip I am considering is a Core i7-3770K(E4)
    Does the version (E4) matter or do I have to stay with the (E0) or (E1)
    My Bios version is P2.9

Re: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Intel Core i7-3770K version number question

The E0, E1, and E4 labels indicate what is called "Stepping" versions of a processor. The stepping version will not make any difference in the compatibility of the processor with your board. ASRock did not test (or update) the CPU support list with the later stepping version, which is why it is not included in the list.

Different stepping versions normally indicate fixes were applied to the higher numbered versions. The electrical and performance characteristics of the processor are unchanged, and most important the microcode needed by the processor (part of the BIOS) is the same as previous stepping versions.

The fixes, in Intel's case, are for usually rare and unusual situations that 99.99% of users never encounter or are aware of.

Higher number stepping versions coincide with later production runs of the processor. Since the i7-3770K was introduced in mid 2012, you may not be able to find new E0 or E1 versions at retailers. Also most retailers don't specify the stepping version in the product information, how are you aware of the stepping version?

Comment

Working...
    X