No announcement yet.

Help!! Problems with my setup. Many Questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!! Problems with my setup. Many Questions.

Having problems with my PC, visual bugs and blue screen crashes. I know its not my GFX (Radeon HD 7870) as I have tested the card on another system. I had problems with my RAM after running a few memtests but when i got a replacement stick it still crashed the same way (Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb DDR1600).

After resetting CMOS and running DR.Debug I got:
    4F
    A2

From here i tried each SATA device (HDD and DVD) and each stick of RAM one at a time. Only the number 62 had stopped appearing. So i weant on ASRocks website and noticed that the MOBO i have (Z87 Extreme4) does not support my RAM (CML8GX3M2A1600C9B).

So my question is could my MOBO not be supporting my RAM? and is this my problem?
    OR Do i have a faulty MOBO?

Specs:
    MOBO: ASRock Z87 Extreme4
    CPU: INtel i5-4670k
    PSU: Corsair CX500M
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb 1600DDR (CML8GX3M2A1600C9B)
    HDD: Seagate 1TB (Cant Remember)
    OPTICAL DRIVE: (Cant remember)

Any and all help i will be grateful for. Thanks!

Re: Help!! Problems with my setup. Many Questions.

My current motherboard doesn't have the debug LED but A2 normally means the BIOS is searching for a HDD to boot from. Do you have your 'Boot' order set properly? Is the BIOS set to AHCI or RAID depending on your config?

"A0 - A7 Problem related to IDE or SATA devices. Please re-install IDE and SATA devices. If the problem still exists, please clear CMOS and try removing all SATA devices."

Here is a list of all of your Dr Debug codes:

00 Please check if the CPU is installed correctly and then clear CMOS.
    0d Problem related to memory, VGA card or other devices. Please clear CMOS, re-install the memory and VGA card, and remove other USB, PCI devices.
    01 - 54 (except 0d), 5A- 60 Problem related to memory. Please re-install the CPU and memory then clear CMOS. If the problem still exists, please install only one memory module or try using other memory modules.
    55 The Memory could not be detected. Please re-install the memory and CPU. If the problem still exists, please install only one memory module or try using other memory modules.
    61 - 91 Chipset initialization error. Please press reset or clear CMOS.
    92 - 99 Problem related to PCI-E devices. Please re-install PCI-E devices or try installing them in other slots. If the problem still exists, please remove all PCI-E devices or try using another VGA card.
    A0 - A7 Problem related to IDE or SATA devices. Please re-install IDE and SATA devices. If the problem still exists, please clear CMOS and try removing all SATA devices.
    b0 Problem related to memory. Please re-install the CPU and memory. If the problem still exists, please install only one memory module or try using other memory modules.
    * For X79 models, please try installing memory to DDR3 A1, B1, C1 and D1 slots.
    b4 Problem related to USB devices. Please try removing all USB devices.
    b7 Problem related to memory. Please re-install the CPU and memory then clear CMOS. If the problem still exists, please install only one memory module or try using other memory modules.
    d6 The VGA could not be recognized. Please clear CMOS and try re-installing the VGA card. If the problem still exists, please try installing the VGA card in other slots or use other VGA cards.
    d7 The Keyboard and mouse could not be recognized. Please try re-installing the keyboard and mouse.
    d8 Invalid Password.
    FF Please check if the CPU is installed correctly and then clear CMOS.
    Last edited by Zuhl3156; 04-10-2015, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zuhl3156 View Post
      My current motherboard doesn't have the debug LED but A2 normally means the BIOS is searching for a HDD to boot from. Do you have your 'Boot' order set properly? Is the BIOS set to AHCI or RAID depending on your config?

"A0 - A7 Problem related to IDE or SATA devices. Please re-install IDE and SATA devices. If the problem still exists, please clear CMOS and try removing all SATA devices"
      Yes my Boot order is set to boot off my HDD first in priority. I dont know about the AHCI or RAID, could you shed some light? I just checked all the options on the boot configuration and it said nothing about that.

I have also checked the debug codes myself and i did the dr debug test with one SATA device at a time and with none. No different result

Comment

In your BIOS under the 'Advanced' tab you'll see 'Storage Configuration'. In my BIOS the 'Advanced' section is the 3rd from the top. Set SATA Controllers to 'Enabled'. Under that you'll see 'SATA Mode Selection'. IDE was for older chipsets. Yours should be set to AHCI. At the bottom of the screen you'll see a list of all of your drives that are detected by BIOS.
        Last edited by Zuhl3156; 04-10-2015, 10:28 AM.

Comment

In your BIOS under the 'Advanced' tab you'll see 'Storage Configuration'. In my BIOS the 'Advanced' section is the 3rd from the top. Set SATA Controllers to 'Enabled'. Under that you'll see 'SATA Mode Selection'. IDE was for older chipsets. Yours should be set to AHCI. At the bottom of the screen you'll see a list of all of your drives that are detected by BIOS.
          I have just checked. SATA controllers are enabled and SATA Mode Selection is definetely AHCI and all of my devices are recognised in their respective ports.

Comment

Are all of your drives listed at the bottom of the screen? Are they being recognized by BIOS? Try disconnecting all HDD except for your boot drive. Insert your Windows installation disc and change your BIOS Boot menu to have the CD/ROM as the first boot drive. Boot to the Windows installation disk and use Startup Repair. Startup Repair - Microsoft Windows

Comment

Are all of your drives listed at the bottom of the screen? Are they being recognized by BIOS? Try disconnecting all HDD except for your boot drive. Insert your Windows installation disc and change your BIOS Boot menu to have the CD/ROM as the first boot drive. Boot to the Windows installation disk and use Startup Repair. Startup Repair - Microsoft Windows
              Yeah all my drives were recognised by the BIOS. OK so i did as you said.

***EDIT: Startup Repair finished all tests with no errors.***
              Last edited by dermy08; 04-10-2015, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Is your Z87 Extreme4 board system new, or been running for a while now?

Does the PC boot into your OS, whatever that is?

The Dr Debug codes are really the standard POST (Power On Self Test) codes of the AMI BIOS/UEFI used in your board. POST is run whenever a PC starts. Each code number identifies one of the POST procedures, which can be seen in the list Zuhl3156 posted above. The codes are normally displayed as each one is started and completed during the POST process on the Dr Debug display. If a number comes and then goes in the display, that means that procedure completed fine.

If one of the POST procedures fails due to some problem, POST will stop and the code number of the failed procedure will be displayed. So POST codes are not really error codes. They do identify the POST procedure that failed, which we then use to diagnose and fix the problem. When you are using the BIOS/UEFI UI, you may see a POST code displayed, usually A2, but that is normal. If a POST procedure failed, you would not be able to use the BIOS/UEFI UI.

If your PC boots, POST completed fine, and the POST codes are not indicating any problems.

If you are getting BSODs in Windows, that is caused by something that is not part of the POST process. You need to check the Windows error log and event log to determine what is happening.

Is there any pattern to the BSODs, do they happen when you are gaming for example? Or do they seem random?

Comment

My usual motherboard is an MSI Z97 Gaming 7 that I sent for RMA. I just installed this ASRock motherboard Wednesday until I get it back. I didn't do a fresh install of Windows. I just loaded the RAID drivers in BIOS and I at least got the Windows loading screen with the spinning logo before it hung up on me. It needed to load the motherboard drivers before I had to reboot and finally got to my Desktop. IDK if you'll need to reinstall Windows or not. A fresh installation is normally recommended but this installation of Windows 7 will go back into my replacement mobo when it gets here and I hate spending days and days reinstalling my games. I figured it was the same Z97 chipset and it booted right up for me except for the hang until the motherboard drivers installed.

A2 is usually the last Debug code listed and indicates the motherboard is searching for a drive. I hope this helps. "parsec" is more experienced than I am.
                  Last edited by Zuhl3156; 04-10-2015, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                    Is your Z87 Extreme4 board system new, or been running for a while now?

Does the PC boot into your OS, whatever that is?

The Dr Debug codes are really the standard POST (Power On Self Test) codes of the AMI BIOS/UEFI used in your board. POST is run whenever a PC starts. Each code number identifies one of the POST procedures, which can be seen in the list Zuhl3156 posted above. The codes are normally displayed as each one is started and completed during the POST process on the Dr Debug display. If a number comes and then goes in the display, that means that procedure completed fine.

If one of the POST procedures fails due to some problem, POST will stop and the code number of the failed procedure will be displayed. So POST codes are not really error codes. They do identify the POST procedure that failed, which we then use to diagnose and fix the problem. When you are using the BIOS/UEFI UI, you may see a POST code displayed, usually A2, but that is normal. If a POST procedure failed, you would not be able to use the BIOS/UEFI UI.

If your PC boots, POST completed fine, and the POST codes are not indicating any problems.

If you are getting BSODs in Windows, that is caused by something that is not part of the POST process. You need to check the Windows error log and event log to determine what is happening.

Is there any pattern to the BSODs, do they happen when you are gaming for example? Or do they seem random?

Okay that is a relief reguarding the Dr Debug numbers. Thank you for clarifying. I havent had a BSOD in a while as it only happens when i have my Radeon HD 7870 installed with the recommended drivers. And i have not been using that card for a while. The crashes are bare bones. No BSOD, just lines across the screen. The most recent one (crash, but not BSOD) was during gaming on my XFX 9800 GX2.

EDIT: The MOBO has been running for a while now. Just over a year.
                    Last edited by dermy08; 04-10-2015, 12:10 PM.

Comment

OK so I just put my Radeon HD 7870 back in and reinstalled the drivers. But now my computer doesn't reach the desktop. Just the windows loading screen. What should I do?

Comment

Originally posted by dermy08 View Post
                        OK so I just put my Radeon HD 7870 back in and reinstalled the drivers. But now my computer doesn't reach the desktop. Just the windows loading screen. What should I do?
                        Seems to be pointing to a GPU problem, switch off and unplug your GPU and place monitor plug in the motherboard and see if it boots.

Comment

Originally posted by paulsd View Post
                          Seems to be pointing to a GPU problem, switch off and unplug your GPU and place monitor plug in the motherboard and see if it boots.
                          Thats what I initially thought but that card has been tested on other machines and it works. I have now reverted back to the built in card and yeah I can boot up fully.

EDIT: Optical drive is now fine.
                          Last edited by dermy08; 04-10-2015, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Have you tried putting card in another slot to see if it works.

Comment

Did you set Primary Graphics to PCI-E?

Comment

Working...
                              X