ASRock Z97 Killer with i7-4790k won't shut down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Z97 Killer with i7-4790k won't shut down

I have tried changing several of the obvious BIOS settings but no matter what I try I can't get my PC to shut down unless I use the power switch on my PSU. I can restart to update drivers etc. Am I missing something or did I get a defective board? There are no bent pins in the socket.

Re: ASRock Z97 Killer with i7-4790k won't shut down

What happens when you do a Shutdown? Do you see the usual Windows shutdown display, but the fans, etc, just keep running?

If you press and hold the power button on the PC case, the board will still not shutdown?

What OS are you using?

It sounds like you just built that PC, did you install the drivers, etc, from the board's disk? If so, did you install everything on the disk?

If so, check the BIOS, Advanced screen, confirm that Intel Rapid Start and Smart Connect Tech are disabled.

Comment

I see the usual Windows shutdown display. There is a red LED just above the PCI-E x16 2.0 slot that goes out but the case fans and the logo on the video board stay lit. The drivers installed were the latest available. The OS is Windows 7 64-bit. I have updated my PC's specs. I will try Intel's onboard video later today in case I damaged the video board. Thanks for your help. I have never encountered an issue like this in almost 7 yrs of building a PC.
      Last edited by Zuhl3156; 04-09-2015, 07:09 AM.

Comment

It sounds like you may be in the so called, S1 power state. But that is normally something that does not happen unless a BIOS setting is changed.

Did you try clearing the CMOS/BIOS, and then loading UEFI default settings? Then set the minimal UEFI settings you need.

As a test, when in the UEFI, if you press and hold the power button on the PC case, the board should shut off quickly.

You might want to try updating the UEFI to version 1.60 or 1.90, using the Instant Flash method, or Internet Flash method in UEFI, as long as your network is connected and working. I see a reference in UEFI 1.60 about Modify Deep Sleep function, which may be related to your issue.

Comment

Updated BIOS to 1.9 but no joy. The red light at BIOS chips is out now. ASRock has already admitted the main board has probably failed. Any other suggestions are welcome since my MSI board will be stuck in an RMA process for at least another week.

P.S. I disabled 'Suspend to RAM'. Sleep and Hibernate are disabled in Windows.
          Last edited by Zuhl3156; 04-09-2015, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Start up in safe mode and see if it switches off, may determine if it,s a hardware or software fault.

Comment

No luck using Safe Mode. My MSI moerboard was rececived a few minutes ago and my RMA replacement should be here before the end of next week. Then I'll know for sure if its the CPU or some other hardware issue. ASRock seems to be certain it's a mainboard issue.

Comment

IDK if anyone is still watching this thread but is there a way to power down the motherboard by bypassing the case switch? The case lights stay on and the graphics card's logo stays lit when I shut down but if I hit the case's power button again it will power up again as if it was turned off. I hope this question made sense to someone here. Technically the PC shuts down except for the video board logo and the case fans and lights. I would hate to leave it this way overnight since IDK if the CPU is still running without the H220 providing cooling.

Comment

Hmm... Please read the part in bold below, I left it there as it fits in my description of PC Sleep states, but is important.

You can turn a PC on and off by momentarily shorting the two pins on the header where the case power switch is connected. Disconnect the case power switch from the system header, and using a small screwdriver, carefully short the two pins for the case switch.

If you haven't done this, triple check the connections of ALL the wires to the System Panel header, the PC case switch, Reset switch, HDD and Power LEDs.

You should also be able to shutdown the PC by pressing and holding down the case power switch. That usually takes several seconds. If the PC seems to shut off quickly doing this, then something is weird. If you are in the BIOS and press and hold the case power switch, the PC will shut off almost instantly.

When a PC is shutdown via the OS, and the PSU is on (not turned off with its switch) as is the usual situation, any mother board still receives some power from the PSU. The CPU, memory, and all parts connected to a board do not get power, since the main power rails from the PSU are not active when the PC is shutdown.

That is completely normal, since the power switch on all PC cases is NOT a switch that directly controls power flow to the board or PSU. All mother board's sense the momentary connection of the PC case power switch, which then causes the PSU to completely wake up and provide all the power the board and other components need to operate.

But I see you said the case fans are still running. But it seems the fans to your CPU cooler are not running, or the pump, correct?

If it was just the video card lights and case "lights", then I'd say the PC was actually shutdown, but the lights are on for other reasons. Such as, if the case lights were connected to a USB port, which normally still have power provided to them when the PC is shutdown to charge cell phones, etc.

A PC, when its power supply is turned on with its own switch, can be in several "power states", which includes six "sleep" states from S0 to S5.

When a PC is booted and running, it is in the S0 state, not sleeping of course, but the awake state.

Suspend to RAM, or Windows Sleep is S3. Disabling Suspend to RAM will not fix this problem, set that back to Auto in case it is causing a problem being disabled. Setting Suspend to RAM to Disabled puts the board into the S1 Sleep state, which will put the PC in the shutdown state that you are stuck in now, apparently.

Hibernate is the S4 state.

When the PC is shutdown, that is the S5 state. You want to be in S5, but you don't seem to be if the case fans are running and are connected to the board, directly to the PSU, or to a normal fan controller.

You seem to be stuck in the S1 state or S2 state. We see reports of this in this forum from time to time, exactly what is happening to you. What is the fix people find for this? Nothing specific, most of the time we never hear what happened. I get the feeling either something is not wired correctly to the board, mainly to the System Panel header.

I know you updated your BIOS. I would not change any of the ACPI settings, like Suspend to RAM. One exception to this is ASRock normally has Deep Sleep (Chipset Configuration screen in the BIOS) set to Disabled. Try setting that to S5.

Comment

I will enable 'Suspend to RAM'. Thanks for your reply. My thinking was if it was Disabled it would eliminate the S1 Sleep State. I'll be back shortly.

Comment

I only have two options for 'Suspend to RAM', Disabled and Auto. I changed to 'Auto' with the same results. The Swiftech pump keeps running along with all of the case fans but the H220's radiator fans stop spinning. The pump is connected to CPU2 and runs at full speed while the fans are connected to CPU1 with a Custom Fan curve through a 12v splitter cable. The pump is connected using the splitter block pictured in this ad from NewEgg and draws power from a SATA power plug. Disconnecting it makes no difference.
                      Swiftech H220 Water Cooler - Newegg.com
                      Last edited by Zuhl3156; 04-12-2015, 02:51 PM.

Comment

My MSI Z97 Gaming 7 board arrived after being RMA'd and everything is fine now. The 'Sleep' function even reappeared in my Shutdown menu. Just a bad board that will be headed for RMA this morning. Just thought I'd let you know how everything turned out. Thanks for your time and patience.
                        Last edited by Zuhl3156; 04-18-2015, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X