Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASROCK Q2900-ITX and the function wake on lan

Hi guys,

this is my HTPC configuration, running Windows 7 ultimate 64 Bits + Plex server and HT + Unified Remote + wifi network

MOBO ASRock Q2900-ITX

Case - Antec Mini-ITX Case ISK110-VESA

MEMO - Crucial 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 1600 MT/s

HD - Kingston Digital 120GB SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5 (7mm height) with Adapter Solid State Drive 2.5

Wi-Fi / Bluetooth - Intel 3160 Dual Band Wireless AC + Bluetooth Mini PCIe card Supports 2.4 and 5.8Ghz B/G/N/AC Bands

Dual Wi-fi Antenna Kit 5Dbi RP-SMA Antennas and 20cm/8" U.fl/IPEX to RP-SMA Cables

Everything is fine except for one detail when I set the MOBO in BIOS to wake on lan / wan.....if I set this option to ENABLE, it is impossible shutdown the computer.

When I shut down (windows or plex or unified remote) the computer restarts itself....if I disable the option in BIOS, I can shut down the computer properly.

I wanna to ENABLE this option to wake the computer through Unified Remote or any wake on wan app.

Any help ?

Thank you guys.

Flavio

Re: ASROCK Q2900-ITX and the function wake on lan

I assume you are just using the Intel 3160 wireless network card, and have nothing connected to the Realtek RTL8111GR network chip on your board?

Do you have the Intel driver installed for the 3160 wireless card?

I don't use a 3160 card, but in its Device Manager Properties, Power Management tab, where the WOL settings are, do you have options under Power Saver such as Respond to ARP requests without waking system, and Respond to NS requests without waking system? If you do, are those options checked?

If you've never configured the 3160 options in Device Manager, you need to check its settings.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      I assume you are just using the Intel 3160 wireless network card, and have nothing connected to the Realtek RTL8111GR network chip on your board?

Do you have the Intel driver installed for the 3160 wireless card?

I don't use a 3160 card, but in its Device Manager Properties, Power Management tab, where the WOL settings are, do you have options under Power Saver such as Respond to ARP requests without waking system, and Respond to NS requests without waking system? If you do, are those options checked?

If you've never configured the 3160 options in Device Manager, you need to check its settings.
      1 - yes. just the wifi card, no cable !

2 - yes. driver version 17.13.11.5

3 - Here all the options in my system (sorry in Portuguese but I think this is the option you said)

1 - Power Management

Advanced options: (the value "habilitado" = enable)

MAgic Packet wake ON - enable

And the last - " suspend desconection WoWL" - disable

Thank you so much !

Comment

So... that did work for you?

Sorry, it seems it did given the thank you, just want to be sure.

Another question, does wake on LAN still work for you with those settings changed to keep the PC shutdown?

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
          So... that did work for you?

Sorry, it seems it did given the thank you, just want to be sure.

Another question, does wake on LAN still work for you with those settings changed to keep the PC shutdown?
          oh sorry....the thank you was for your answer...

All the images are with my actual configuration....with these settings the Wake on Lan or Wan doesnt work.

My scenario now:

- the settings above, on windows

- Bios:

A) with wake on lan option ENABLE - the system doesn't off...just restarts;

B) with wake on lan option DISABLE - the system OFF normally

Tks.

Comment

Dear flaviocc,

We have test Q2900-ITX wake on lane function with latest BIOS and windows 7 64 bit OS.
            Q2900-ITX can use wake on lane function normally.
            Referring to your information, you have use Wifi card as LAN device, but Q2900-ITX not support Wireless wake on lan.
            Please connect network cable and use on board LAN card to try.

We provide some steps for enable wake on lan:
            (1)Please load BIOS default setting and change "PCIE device power on" option to "Enable" for try.
            (2)Boot into OS then shutdown system.
            (3)Now system is ready to be woken on lan by other computer.
            If still can't wake on lane please test on clean OS and provide your wake on lan tools for us to verify.

ASRock TSD
            Eddy.

Comment

Originally posted by ASRock TSD-Eddy View Post
              Dear flaviocc,

We have test Q2900-ITX wake on lane function with latest BIOS and windows 7 64 bit OS.
              Q2900-ITX can use wake on lane function normally.
              Referring to your information, you have use Wifi card as LAN device, but Q2900-ITX not support Wireless wake on lan.
              Please connect network cable and use on board LAN card to try.

We provide some steps for enable wake on lan:
              (1)Please load BIOS default setting and change "PCIE device power on" option to "Enable" for try.
              (2)Boot into OS then shutdown system.
              (3)Now system is ready to be woken on lan by other computer.
              If still can't wake on lane please test on clean OS and provide your wake on lan tools for us to verify.

ASRock TSD
              Eddy.

Comment

The Boot From Onboard LAN option in the BIOS controls the board's Realtek RTL8111GR wired network chip, which you do not use, right?

Your BIOS has an option to Disable the Realtek network chip, in Chipset Configuration, called Onboard LAN. Try setting that to Disabled to stop the PC from starting when it is shutdown when Boot From Onboard LAN is enabled. As long as you don't use the Realtek network chip, set it to disabled.

You can also disable the Realtek network chip in Device Manager.

The Boot From Onboard LAN option probably has no effect on your wireless network card, since this option controls the onboard Realtek wired network chip.

Try disabling Onboard LAN, but keep Boot From Onboard LAN enabled and see if the PC will stay shutdown. If the PC still restarts, set Boot From Onboard LAN to disabled.

Have you ever tried a wake on LAN with the wireless network card, with Boot From Onboard LAN disabled?

The PCIE Device Power On option that ASRock suggested you try to get the wireless card to wake on LAN is a good idea, but it has this description in the manual:

PCIE Device Power On
                Allow the system to be waked up by a PCIE device and enable wake on LAN

So if the wake on LAN option (Boot From Onboard LAN) is really the cause of the restart problem, this option seems to enable it. But IMO having the onboard Realtek network chip enabled might be the real cause of the restart problem.

Comment

@parsec and @Eddy,

my tests and results:

1 -

Boot From Onboard LAN - ENABLE
                  Onboard LAN - ENABLE
                  PCIE Device Power On - ENABLE

The system don't Shutdown and restart
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  2 -

Boot From Onboard LAN - DISABLE
                  Onboard LAN - ENABLE

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  3-

Boot From Onboard LAN - ENABLE
                  Onboard LAN - DISABLE

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[B]

4-

Boot From Onboard LAN - DISABLE
                  Onboard LAN - DISABLE

5 - all the possible combinations and the PCIE DEVICE POWER ON DISABLED - the system Shutdown normally.

Conclusion:

If I Enable the PCIE DEVICE POWER ON, the system restarts and it's impossible to shutdown.....

That info helps something ?

@Eddy,

my first OS with this setup was Windows 8.1 and I have a little problem (I change to windows 7 to solve this problem):

The option to wake up the system with a keyboard or mouse (USB) never worked in windows 8 (setup in windows to device wake the system and in the BIOS). In 7 works normal.

Tks.

Flavio
                  Last edited by flaviocc; 03-26-2015, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Dear flaviocc,

We have just test can't shutdown symptom on Q2900-ITX.
                    Using the same configuration we did, enable three option you mentioned, system still can shutdown.
                    We think maybe you can try below suggestion for further verify:
                    (1)Please load BIOS default then try to enable "PCIE device power on" then remove LAN cable or wire-less card for try.
                    If it related with Wireless card, please try adjust setting that you have changed.
                    (2)Can't shutdown symptom may related with BIOS setting, OS setting and environment, system device etc.
                    Please load BIOS default setting and only adjust "PCIE device power on" for try.
                    (3)Test on a clean OS.

If problem still remains, maybe it' a good idea to provide us some picture and more system message about can't shutdown problem.
                    In addition, is there any system update? Or other info showing up?

If any question please feel free to contact us.

ASRock TSD
                    Eddy.
                    Last edited by ASRock TSD-Eddy; 03-31-2015, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Eddy,

Before I try this settings you tell me, I have an information.

If I disable the USB legacy option in bios I can shutdown the system normally. But it's impossible to load the bios setup (the keyboard don't work becose no USB support).

This helps?

Thank you.

EDIT:

Eddy,

in your opinion, Its better use this MOBO with win 7 or win 8 ??? I just use this system to HTPC running Plex and unified remote.

Tks
                      Last edited by flaviocc; 03-27-2015, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Dear flaviocc,

If disable USB legacy option, system will not load USB driver during system boot up period, so can't enter to BIOS setting page.
                        But this setting should not influence system shut down symptom.
                        We suggest to refer user manual page 13 remove power cord and use jumper to clear CMOS, this steps can help you return to BIOS default setting.
                        http://download.asrock.com/manual/Q2900-ITX.pdf

About OS selection,i think both win7 and win8 can works well as HTPC, but if try to use win8 system and enable wake on LAN, please add below link steps to adjust win8 shutdown behavior.
                        ASRock > Support > FAQ

ASRock TSD
                        Eddy.

Comment

Working...
                        X