Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asrock x99 Extreme 4 starts with a red LED on and i get no singal to my Display.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock x99 Extreme 4 starts with a red LED on and i get no singal to my Display.

Hey guys!

I had a couple of issues in the past few days with my build.

At first i could install windows, but couldn't install GPU drivers, after running memtest 2 times, the 2nd time for 7 hours and getting no errors and fater a couple of suggestions from PC communities and no success i decided to try the RAM separatly in the case, i found out that 1 stick was faulty. After that i could install the drivers normaly. The next day i started installing software on it, everything was fine, then i decided to restart my computer so it refreshes. When it restarted, a red LED was "on" for BIOS on the moba, the computer started, everything is on, all the fans, the fans always start at high speed then slow down, but then the computer restarts again and it does it all again, except that it doesn't restart. With all that, i get no signal to my display. I tried to replace the cables( even tho everything is new ), disconnected the discs and the ROM, restarted cmos, re-seated the ram and gpu, replaced the cables from the psu to the gpu, and re-esated the cpu with new thermal paste. Please take note, that this computer is a few days old and everything in it. I'm running windows 8.1 x64

My build is;

Asrock x99 Extreme 4 (MB)
    i7-5820k 3.3Ghz (CPU)
    Corsair H100i (Cooler)
    Crucial DDR4 - 4x8gb (RAM)
    Gigabyte GTX 980-OC (GPU)
    Crucial MX100 SSD 256GB
    Seagate SSHD 2000GB ( Not yet formatted )
    XFX P1-850B-BEFX 80+ Gold ( PSU )
    Corsair CC-9011049-WW Obsidian Series 450D Mid-Tower

BenQ GW2765HT (Display 1440p) Currently using only 1.

i really need help, it was a couple of days of stress right now and i don't know what to do anymore.

Thank you in advance.
    Uros Stemberger
    Last edited by Uros Stemberger; 02-25-2015, 08:24 AM.

Re: Asrock x99 Extreme 4 starts with a red LED on and i get no singal to my Display.

The red LED next to a BIOS chip just indicates which BIOS (A or B) is being used. Your board has dual BIOS chips, and an LED being on next to one of them is normal.

Your board has the Dr Debug POST code display, next to the memory slots in the upper left hand side of the board, next to the 24 pin power connector. You should be checking the code displayed there to help determine what the problem is. Also, if you had a POST code beep speaker connected, you might get a beep code to help identify the problem.

Comment

Re: Asrock x99 Extreme 4 starts with a red LED on and i get no singal to my Display.

X99 Extreme4 does not have Dr Debug, only X99M have. The red led in my case remains lit while on UEFI and during post. It goes off when Windows start booting (though in the beginning until i did Restore BIOS Defaults was lit all the time probably due to BIOS update).
      Last edited by CSAsr84; 02-26-2015, 03:11 AM.

Comment

I had a very similar problem. I was able to resolve it by disabling the memory reference code (MRC) check in the DRAM configuration (very bottom, IIRC). I think I also enabled the fast boot option in there at the same time, too (but I don't think this fixed it). I'm not happy about disabling the MRC, but it seems to consistently boot up now.

Previously, my trick to get it to start up without resetting the UEFI configuration was to kill the power to the PSU, wait until all LED's on the motherboard turned off, then power it back on and then it would work fine. There seems to be something weird going on when the motherboard has not completely been disconnected from the power between restarts or shutdown. Perhaps this is something that can be fixed in the firmware by ASRock, but it is a very frustrating issue.

From my limited research, I ran across a comment that when the DRAM fails the MRC check, it is supposed to just disable the specific rank that failed, but some specific DRAM will just halt the system boot process entirely. "If a data bit fault is present on the bus, the MRC might disable the rank associated with the failure, perhaps giving only the failing rank as a fault indicator; or, it might halt the boot process completely, and provide little or no diagnostic information." Here's the article for reference: DDR Testing using Spoofed Memory Reference Code

Comment

I just double checked the settings for accuracy. Here are my settings:
          MRC Fast Boot: Enabled
          Memory Test: Auto
          Memory test on fast boot: Disabled
          Memory power savings mode: Disabled

Comment

Working...
          X