After switching slots, RAM is no longer DUAL Channel - 970 Extreme3 R2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After switching slots, RAM is no longer DUAL Channel - 970 Extreme3 R2.0

After getting some awful memory benchmarks, I referred to the manual which states:

If you adopt DDR3 2100/1866/1800/1600 memory modules on thismotherboard, it is recommended to install them on DDR3_A2 andDDR3_B2 slots.

Please install the memory module into the slots DDR3_A2 andDDR3_B2 for the first priority.

This reads to me.. that if you use default speeds, You can use either A1+B1 or A2+B2, but for higher speeds (like me), I should be using A2+B2 -- I wasn't.

So I SWITCHED. Before I got dual-channel.. now I don't. The manual states either combination should work.

Is this a case of just needing to clear the CMOS?

Re: After switching slots, RAM is no longer DUAL Channel - 970 Extreme3 R2.0

For the best compatibility, and higher speeds, yes you should use slots A2 and B2.

But it sounds like you are just confused about which slots are which.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dimm order.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	754845

Can you see right above and to the right of the word CPU in the picture:

DDR3_A1
    DDR3_A2
    DDR3_B1
    DDR3_B2

Which is the order of the DIMM slots from top to bottom. The top two slots are channel A, the bottom two slots channel B.

It sounds like you have both DIMMs in channel B, or possibly channel A.

Comment

+1 ^^
      Click image for larger version

Name:	ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 dimm installation.png
Views:	1
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	754846
      For maximum performance using dual channel mode you need to install your memory using option 1 or option 2 in the chart.
      Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
      P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
      4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
      MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
      Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
      WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
      Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
      SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
      Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
      Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
      Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
      MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
      Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
      HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
      CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
      E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
      Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
      Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
      HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
        For the best compatibility, and higher speeds, yes you should use slots A2 and B2.

But it sounds like you are just confused about which slots are which.

[ATTACH]7578[/ATTACH]

Can you see right above and to the right of the word CPU in the picture:

DDR3_A1
        DDR3_A2
        DDR3_B1
        DDR3_B2

Which is the order of the DIMM slots from top to bottom. The top two slots are channel A, the bottom two slots channel B.

It sounds like you have both DIMMs in channel B, or possibly channel A.

Not confused at all.

Ram modules installed in A1 and B1 - Dual channel works

Ram modules installed in A2 and B2 - Dual channel does not work

Comment

That does not make sense, something is wrong somewhere.

What are you checking that tells you single channel instead of dual channel? I assume you are seeing the full capacity of both DIMMs being recognized?

If you haven't cleared the CMOS yet, do so.

Comment

That does not make sense, something is wrong somewhere.

What are you checking that tells you single channel instead of dual channel? I assume you are seeing the full capacity of both DIMMs being recognized?

If you haven't cleared the CMOS yet, do so.
            It doesn't make sense. That's why I'm posting here.

I'm checking the first page of the BIOS. I am seeing the full capacity.

Cleared CMOS. No change.

Comment

Never found a solution to this.

My bad memory benchmarks were normal for AMD.. I never realized the Intel memory controller was so superior.

Comment

Depends on the processor, at least going by the specs. Some AMD processors have higher memory speed than similar Intel processors.

Intel Core i7-4770K - CM8064601464206 / BX80646I74770K / BXC80646I74770K

AMD FX-Series FX-6300 - FD6300WMW6KHK / FD6300WMHKBOX

Comment

Look at benchmarks, not rated speeds.

Anyway -- I'm not sure that helps in any case.

I guess if I want to goto 4 sticks of RAM at any point, it looks like this mobo is going into the trash... if it doesn't die first.

Comment

Originally posted by ManuteSwol View Post
                    It doesn't make sense. That's why I'm posting here.

I'm checking the first page of the BIOS. I am seeing the full capacity.

Cleared CMOS. No change.
                    What about bios version? Using the last?
                    Last edited by bahram_alinezhad; 04-23-2015, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Depends on the processor, at least going by the specs. Some AMD processors have higher memory speed than similar Intel processors.

Intel Core i7-4770K - CM8064601464206 / BX80646I74770K / BXC80646I74770K

AMD FX-Series FX-6300 - FD6300WMW6KHK / FD6300WMHKBOX
                      Speaking about memory speed, Intel was always surprisingly much faster than AMD. Even during periods that AMD was somehow ahead of intel (Athlon FX ages), Intel had notably better memory performance. AMD was the first who took memory controller on die, even now, AMD's on-die was in par with Intel's on-chip.
                      That benchmark compares some 2011 AMD CPUs with some 2009 Intel ones!
                      We are upset AMD fans who may see AMD acquired in future :-(

Comment

Originally posted by bahram_alinezhad View Post
                        What about bios version? Using the last?
                        Yes.

Comment

Considering your strange problem, If I was you, I would examine older bios versions (smaller than 1.60 starting from 1.00) as a last resort! If positive, reporting to ASRock TSD (may be here).
                          Last edited by bahram_alinezhad; 04-23-2015, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bahram_alinezhad View Post
                            Considering your strange problem, If I was you, I would examine older bios versions (smaller than 1.60 starting from 1.00) as a last resort! If positive, reporting to ASRock TSD (may be here).
                            No offense, but at this point.. it is small potatoes.

I have another problem I am more concerned about:

Comment

Working...
                            X