ASRock Z87 Pro4 Post Beep Confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Z87 Pro4 Post Beep Confusion

I was hoping someone out there can help me. I've searched through so many threads, pages, blogs, videos and not found an answer. I built a new PC about 16 months ago and one day I started getting a weird post sound. 3 beeps / pause / 3 beeps. Video card spins up and cpu cooler spins, then throttles back slightly before spinning up again. Running ASRock Z87 Pro4 on P1.7 with i5 4570 Haswell, Asus ATI HD7770, with 8GB of Kingston HyperX RAM.

Posting error included here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/malra6eqa1...Error.mp3?dl=0

I've spoken with ASRock Tech Support and they suggested resetting the CMOS which I've also done.

Hope someone out there can help me!!

Thanks

Cameron.

Re: ASRock Z87 Pro4 Post Beep Confusion

Three beeps for an AMI BIOS indicates a memory error, and possibly a memory failure.

Check the seating of all the DIMMs in the board and if that looks good start removing one DIMM at a time, keeping track of them so you can determine if the DIMM itself is bad, or the board has a problem.

So remove one DIMM from channel A and try and boot the PC. If she still beeps, put that DIMM back and remove another DIMM from channel A, if two are used in each channel. Otherwise if using two DIMMs total, put the first DIMM back and remove the one from channel B and see if it will boot.

If you boot with any of the DIMMs removed, now you should put the DIMM you just removed into a different memory slot, to test if the memory or slot is bad.

Comment

Thanks parsec.

I've tried several dimms in separate slots. Just to eliminate this, I'll try your more systematic approach. I must admit that I got a little tired of swapping out RAM dimms and think I may have skipped a few possible combinations. I guess the positive side to this is I do happen to have 4 dimms of the same RAM so I'll give this a try and come back.

Comment

Just to update, I'm still having the same issue so me thinks the m/b is friedy mcfriedenstein. Not a great outcome for something less than 2 years old but thems the breaks I guess.

Comment

Did you perform 16 different DIMM/slot tests? (i.e. 4 different memory modules in 4 different m/b slots, one at a time.)
          It sounds like you got the 3 beeps/pause/3 beeps during all of your tests.

It's too early to declare that your motherboard is dead.

How old is your power supply?
          No offense but better than 90% of Cooler Master power supplies are not very good.
          Can you borrow another power supply to test with?
          FWIW, I've seen many system problems caused by a failing power supply.
          I have quite a few Cooler Master products in my systems, but I've never installed one of their power supplies.

FWIW, I thoroughly clean the inside of my computer case 2 or 3 times a year.

During each cleaning session, with my A.C. power cord unplugged, I also unplug and reconnect each wire and cable at both ens (where possible) in the case to make sure that none of connections have worked their way loose. The only exception is the sata data and power connections to hard drives, optical drives and ssd's. With these connections I carefully push them in to ensure that they haven't come loose. Inspect all of the wires and cables for any bare spots that might cause electrical shorts.
          Bad wire/cable connections are a common cause of many system problems.

I also remove and replace all memory modules and all add-in cards. I don't remove my cpu cooler, but I carefully rotate it left and right, and gently rock it from side to side to make sure that it is still securely attached to the cpu and motherboard.

Remove your CMOS battery from the motherboard and check its voltage with a DMM (digital multi-meter). It must be at least 3.0 volts.
          Leave your CMOS battery disconnected for at least 20 minutes to an hour or overnight if it's convenient.

If none of these suggestions help, don't worry, Parsec and I have several more tests that you should perform.
          Last edited by profJim; 02-18-2015, 09:34 PM.
          Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
          P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
          4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
          MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
          Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
          WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
          Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
          SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
          Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
          Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
          Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
          MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
          Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
          HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
          CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
          E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
          Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
          Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
          HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Hi profJim.

Thanks for the reply. It's good to know that there may still be some solution to this mind-boggling event.

I've tried all 4 slots with 4 dimms of tested and working, identical RAM. I had no idea Cooler Master PSU's were that bad. I'm in the process of building another rig using a Seasonic 550W. Just waiting for delivery so I'll test that when it comes in.

I've already replaced the CMOS battery with a brand new one and reset the CMOS with the pin jumper method. I've also given the whole guts a good clean with some compressed air as well in order to eliminate that.

Really running out of things to test....

Thanks

Cam.

Comment

You're welcome.

Seasonic is my first choice for power supplies and higher end power supplies made by Super Flower are a close second choice.
              When you have some time, check out http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...e-ud3r-v2.html where I provided a lot of psu information and links that deal with how to research power supplies and make a good buying decision. The bottom line is that you can't just go by brand names alone.

If you want to do some additional testing before your new Seasonic arrives, disconnect everything that is not needed for booting into the bios.
              1. Disconnect the power cables to all of your hard drives, ssd's and optical drives.
              2. Unplug all usb devices except for your keyboard and mouse.
                If you have a PS/2 keyboard, use that instead of a usb keyboard.
              3. Disconnect any attached usb hubs and also disconnect the usb cables that connect to the front panel usb ports.
              4. Disconnect external speakers, headphones, etc.
              5. Remove all pci-e cards that aren't needed for booting into the bios.
              6. Disconnect all case fans but leave your cpu cooling fan connected.

Some strange things that have caused boot problems include:
              • a faulty or shorted front panel power and/or reset switch
              • a front panel usb cable that wasn't connected properly to the motherboard
              • one or more power supply cable connectors that no longer make good contact at the psu or at the other end of the cable

Another thing to check: make sure that all of the motherboard mounting screws are snug and haven't loosened and aren't missing.
              Last edited by profJim; 02-19-2015, 02:11 AM.
              Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
              P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
              4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
              MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
              Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
              WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
              Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
              SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
              Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
              Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
              Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
              MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
              Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
              HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
              CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
              E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
              Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
              Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
              HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

I'm not sure what happens with your situation, the PC is NOT booting, correct? You get the three beep sequence and no boot?

Besides the potential power supply problem, you should try using only one or two DIMMs, or different memory entirely. Different memory would be ideal to check if the board is bad or not, once you try a different PSU first.

Comment

That's right parsec. It's a weird situation. I press the power button, the fan on the GPU spins up, the CPU fan spins up, the case fans spin up. Then three beeps, pause, three beeps. Then CPU fan throttles down a few hundred rpm's (guestimate)then the process starts again. No signal to screen during the whole process.

I feel confident that I've exhausted the RAM dimms as being the issue as they boot in another pc without any issues. I've also tried a different brand of tested, working RAM with still no luck. I think the final test will be the PSU and, failing that, I'll look at a new m/b. I need to get this back up and running so I might end up picking up a new one then continue to troubleshoot this one.

Comment

I'm Glad I'm in the 10% of the cooler master psu owners that have had no problems, of coarse now I have said that it will probably go west...

M850 Real Power here kicking ass!

Comment

Originally posted by camhig81 View Post
                      That's right parsec. It's a weird situation. I press the power button, the fan on the GPU spins up, the CPU fan spins up, the case fans spin up. Then three beeps, pause, three beeps. Then CPU fan throttles down a few hundred rpm's (guestimate)then the process starts again. No signal to screen during the whole process.

I feel confident that I've exhausted the RAM dimms as being the issue as they boot in another pc without any issues. I've also tried a different brand of tested, working RAM with still no luck. I think the final test will be the PSU and, failing that, I'll look at a new m/b. I need to get this back up and running so I might end up picking up a new one then continue to troubleshoot this one.
                      Ok, as I thought that sounds like a "POST loop" for lack of a better term.

I'm familiar with the behavior of the system fans on ASRock boards when the PC starts, mine do exactly what you described, but only once since my PCs boot fine. The fan behavior is only their normal reaction before the fan speed control kicks in.

The POST process is failing early in its sequence of events, and is apparently starting over. That might be the Boot Failure Guard feature of ASRock boards causing POST to start over again, which is normal. But that does seem to tell us that the problem is very basic.

IMO, if it is not the PSU then the board has a problem, and you probably should not waste time trying other fixes. So I tend to agree with you about the board.

Comment

Hello all,

I have faced with the same issue, with the definitely the same symptoms.
                        And i have good news for all of you - there is only one simple solution: You need downgrade BIOS version to 2.0.
                        ASRock > Z87 Pro4

Downgrade helped me to avoid this issue,and now my PC works fine=).

I hope my finding will help you.

Regards!

Comment

Working...
                        X