Problem With RAM (prolly) PC Screen Freeze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem With RAM (prolly) PC Screen Freeze

Hey guys, while my pc was actually doing nothing the screen got messed up with some blocks with colors(kinda) anyway, i pressed some buttons to see if the graphics just got messed up but nothing moved , so i hard reset the PC.

After it tried to start but it was going on and off again not showing anything on the screen.As i had recently put it together i knew i had done a great job with the i7 installation and there was not a chance of temperature problems so i plugged in an out all the cables, got the PSU out and kept the button pushed for any static, and tried to start again but it was the same going on and off, so i targeted the RAM got all dims out and with 1 dim pc started fine.

Afterwards i put another one and still starts fine but gets me to BIOS and says "single channel" or dual channel disabled i dont exactly remember.
    After the pc was on i power it off again and put the other rams in different orders to be sure that no ram is damaged and all was fine.
    I Put the ram on the 3rd slot start the PC and goes on and off again...

This is my rig : Intel i7 3770K , Asrock b75pro 3, Crucial ballistix ddr3 4GB (x4) , Samsung 840 EVO , PSU CoolerMaster 550(or 600) and many other HDDs.

Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance for your time

Re: Problem With RAM (prolly) PC Screen Freeze

So its your build, can I ask if that memory is a 4x4GB set or 2 sets of 2x4GB. It sounds as if your memory not be playing nicely and of course now your 2 sets are mixed up.

Single channel is normal if there is only one stick, if both sets of 2 of sticks work in either bank, but not all together, they may not be capable of running as a 16GB set.

1. Are the number near sequential?
    2. Have you changed memory settings / speeds?
    3. If not try a minor overvoltage against spec.
    4. Ballastix memory is pretty robust, but has been known to rebel.

I think a call to Crucial may be in order, can you still return the memory and get 2x8GB? (just 2 sticks is always the best solution).

The other thing is you mention many HD's. How many? That PSU is a bit light in overall power and if you have loaded many HDD's your voltages to the memory may be dipping, hence my comment on item 3.

Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by Britgeezer; 02-08-2015, 10:50 PM.

Comment

If you have 2 sets of 2x4GB, then try to put one kit in memory channel A (A1 and A2) and the other kit in channel B (B1 and B2).
      ---
      Mind is not cumulative, but stupidity is.

Comment

First of all thank you all for your time and answers.

i have 4 x 4GB dims = 16GB, Thing is that the PC worked flawlessly for 3 months now, 16GB ram was read by the system and was running @ 1600 , everything was fine... and suddenly froze and got ****ed up :S

I kinda think that the second channel has been damaged for some reason???

Comment

Was the RAM bought as a single set (i.e. 4 dimms in one pack) or did you buy separate sets?
          Does your computer make any out of the ordinary beeping sounds when starting?
          Is your video card overclocked?
          To make sure, check the temperatures on your video card. MSI Afterburner is a good tool to monitor those...

Comment

Nothing was overclocked , No graphics card installed , just a FW PCI card (it's a studio PC) , Case/Mobo never beeped as i recall , CPU Temperature was fine @ 31C

I now read on some forum that if a processor pin that refers to 2nd Ram channel is damaged u can have this problem, but i have the i7 which is actually pinless , but as i was looking at it i saw some of the thermalpaste having dripped a bit out of the edges but i put the paste after i locked the processor, do you think it can go underneath and in the CPU socket?!?!? , i think it's kinda extreme but i will check it carefully..

Comment

Better remove the CPU, clean all thermal paste and start anew...

By the way, what's an "FW PCI card" ??

Comment

FW=FireWire . but if it's gone inside the socket im kinda ****ed, lol i wont be able to clean the pins i think... That thermal paste was so expensive but its more liquid than the others as it seems...

Still if u can keep ideas coming it would be great ill investigate this problem for 1-2 days after that ill send the card for Warranty

Comment

I'm using MX-4 thermal paste from Arctic. Serves me well. Is around 7 Euro for 20g in Belgium, although I might have bought my last batch on eBay...

Comment

yea great paste , im using the arctic silver 5, but it seems i overdid it put paste like i did with the other pastes but this one is different as it seems , anyway i hope it's not that which causes my problems :S cause cleaning the pins will prove tough... any ideas on materials to be used when cleaning this paste?

Comment

I'm using the cloth that came with my reading glasses :D Sometimes I just use a paper towel...
                      No liquids or nothing.
                      The CPU socket -if it has some paste in it, which I doubt- will be easy to clean since there's no real holes, just some cut-out spheres to fit the CPU's bumps in. The paste won't have gotten underneath the CPU anyway, just some leakage to the side.
                      The only reason I don't like to see some spillage is to prevent the hardened paste from falling off and getting into places it shouldn't go.

Comment

But to get back to the initial problem of your graphics showing kinda screwy on the screen: also make sure that the cable to your monitor is plugged-in properly at both ends. Screwy colours are usually an indication of the video card/chip acting up, not the RAM going funny.
                        A badly plugged monitor cable can also make you see strange artefacts on the screen...

Comment

yes ive been working with computers for years and years, i make sure of these things first! Thanks for your time man, hope ill come back with some good news :)

Comment

Hasn't yet been pointed out, but this may be helpful to speed testing...

Comment

Problem solved , i did all the steps from the start , seems like 1/4 ram dim is off...

it's kinda tricky with a lot of dims and a lot of slots :D

Thanks guys for your time!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X