• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Motherboard Updates

Last image.
    Attached Files

Comment

Not to worry, you provided the information we wanted about the programs... and in one way I must say so much for that theory. I also don't see anything that can be attributed to a Gigabyte board, which I suspect was also the first board you had.

You have mainly personal software, which is fine of course. I was surprised to not see any of the ASRock utilities which I assumed would install when you did the "Install All" option with the ASRock's board disk.

Some comments, that are just that, not definitive statements that something is wrong. I see at least three anti-virus or malware programs installed, if they are all running they might use a lot of resources.

You actually have only a few non-default drivers installed, the Intel IME, your video card driver, the Realtek audio and LAN chip drivers. But that is normal since there aren't many specific drivers to be installed for most boards.

The only driver you don't have installed that might help with disk IO performance is the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver and utility, which is both an AHCI and RAID driver. Otherwise, the Intel IME components driver will not help with general PC performance, nor will the Realtek audio and LAN drivers. The video driver is in that category too.

What I do see from your list of programs is a family type PC, one that is shared and used for many purposes. That's great, but I get the feeling most of those programs are being run when the PC boots, whether they are used or not.

Since you have CCleaner installed, run that and go to the Tools section, and select the Startup option. That will then list all the programs that are run automatically but in the background whenever Windows boots. That is an option Windows provides for programs, and can help speed up the starting of a program, but is not a perfect system. If most of your installed personal programs run in the background all the time, and you have many such programs (you do), that can reduce performance.

You don't need to list them for us, but just let us know how many are listed there.

Another thing you can check is the load on the PC. Start Task Manager and click on the Performance tab. The CPU and Disk 0 usage are the main ones to check, for the usage percentage. Also check the Memory usage, in case you are using most of it for some reason, which can cause a performance reduction.

Click on the Processes tab and scroll down to the Background processes list. It's normal to have several dozen listed, about how many do you have?

You listed one disk drive in that PC, is that all you have? How much free space does it have? Been defragmented lately?

Comment

Parsec, I have six programs running at Startup, including Bitdefender, Super Antispyware Pro, CCleaner and WinPatrol. I checked the Task Manager performance tab. The CPU usage fluctuates between 16% and 30%. Memory usage is fairly steady on 2.8. I have one 8Mb RAM stick. There are 24 background processes listed.

I have a 1GB HDD in two partitions. C:\ has the OS, programs, etc and is 307GB (253GB free). I:\ has personal files and games and is 624GB (507GB free). There is a small 100MB System Reserved partition. I used to use a freeware disk defragmentation program, but recently opted for the automated inbuilt Windows one, which is scheduled to run once a week. I just checked the state of fragmentation and the program indicates 0%.

Comment

Working...
        X