No announcement yet.

X99 Extreme4 - firstly no video, and now nothing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X99 Extreme4 - firstly no video, and now nothing...

I am building a Haswell-E PC for use as a whitebox server to run VMware ESXi. It will have lots of memory (64GB for now) and boot from a USB stick, with probably just a single SSD (or maybe M.2 next year as they become more common).

Components:
    • i7-5820K
    • ASRock X99 Extreme4
    • 2 x 4 x 8GB Crucial Ballistix BLS4C8G4D240FSA
    • Seasonic S12G-450
    • ATi Radeon X600 128MB PCI-e
    • Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo
    • Antec Three Hundred Two

When I first powered up the system, with 4 DIMMs installed and the video card in PCIE3 with VGA connected, the fans started, there was a red light on the mobo but nothing on the display and no beeps. I tried this card in PCIE1 too, and swapped it with another X600 which just had DVI output - still no video or beeps. Next I tried pressing the reset CMOS button (with power off) but now when I press the power button on the case nothing starts.

Does this suggest the PSU has failed? I was slightly worried that it might be on the small side but I don't intend to have many components (i.e. only minimal graphics and 1 or 2 SSDs) so my intention was to keep it reasonably well loaded for better efficiency. Is the graphics card compatible (when I looked at ASRock > VGA Support List I couldn't find Socket 2011-3)? Is the memory likely to be compatible (ASRock > X99 Extreme4 doesn't show my exact model but does have Crucial 8GB BLS8G4D240FSA)?

Being new to building PCs (having only previously built an i7-3770 on ASRock Z77 Extreme, though without any issues) I'm struggling a bit...

TIA!

Simon
    Last edited by SimonH; 12-31-2014, 12:03 PM.

Re: X99 Extreme4 - firstly no video, and now nothing...

Well, I just thought I'd try it again (I'm not quite sure how) and it started, i.e. fans & red light on but no beeps/video.

I'm now wondering if it's a memory compatibility issue. Unfortunately this board (unlike my other ASRock one) doesn't have a Dr Debug display so I don't know how far it's getting - it should beep though? (note I haven't attached an external speaker)

I'm looking on Crucial's website as I hadn't noticed that they include motherboards too - it lists a compatible 32GB kit (CT6263078):
    DDR4 PC4-19200 • 16-16-16 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR4-2400 • 1.2V • 1024Meg x 64
    - which does seem to be the same as mine.

I have tried re-seating the memory (I don't much like these new 1-sided lever sockets), but what's the smallest number of slots I can populate (two: A1 & B1?)? Unfortunately I don't have any other DDR4 memory to try, or another system to try this memory in.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonH View Post
      Well, I just thought I'd try it again (I'm not quite sure how) and it started, i.e. fans & red light on but no beeps/video.

I'm now wondering if it's a memory compatibility issue. Unfortunately this board (unlike my other ASRock one) doesn't have a Dr Debug display so I don't know how far it's getting - it should beep though? (note I haven't attached an external speaker)

I'm looking on Crucial's website as I hadn't noticed that they include motherboards too - it lists a compatible 32GB kit (CT6263078):
      DDR4 PC4-19200 • 16-16-16 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR4-2400 • 1.2V • 1024Meg x 64
      - which does seem to be the same as mine.

I have tried re-seating the memory (I don't much like these new 1-sided lever sockets), but what's the smallest number of slots I can populate (two: A1 & B1?)? Unfortunately I don't have any other DDR4 memory to try, or another system to try this memory in.
      Try searching YouTube for videos on "black screen no beeps." There are a number of causes to check.

Setup
      1.- When changing components, always power OFF the PSU using its main switch, then power ON the PC (using the case power button) to drain the last bits of power from the mobo (fans may spin a bit, for example.)
      2.- Wear a static wrist thingy or at least touch ground before going into the case. Place components on top of cardboard or the plastic wrap they came in when not in use. NOT on top of the metal case.
      3.- Keep all your USB slots empty all the time, except for keyboard and mouse.
      4.- Ideally, use a testing card in a PCIe slot if you do not have the hex code read-outs on the mobo. If not, you will have to test with the vid card in, which limits your ability to debug a single component at a time.
      5.- At least try to find a little speaker to connect to the mobo so you can hear the beeps.

Key issue:
      You may not get any beeps at all even when there is a failure. The beeps tend to fail if there is more than one issue affecting the board. So, don't take 'no beeps' as a good sign; you need to eliminate causes until you do get them.

Top three causes of your situation:
      1.- Poorly seated RAM. Test with 1 stick of mem in slot A1 only. Nothing else attached; just CPU, fans and memory. After seating the stick, clear your CMOS and then try booting. If no success, repeat with a different stick.
      2.- Poorly seated vid card. Reseat, clear CMOS, test.
      3.- The mobo may be shorting against the case. Try testing with the mobo outside the case first.

Testing order:
      First with RAM (listening for beeps, since no video), then RAM&Video, then adding SSDs etc.
      Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Comment

Your video card is ten years old, who knows if it is compatible with a modern board. The ASRock VGA list is not applicable in your case, that is for another purpose.

Can you borrow another video card from another PC or friend?

I doubt memory compatibility is the problem. There is only one consumer platform right now that uses DDR4 memory, X99 boards and the three Intel HEDT processors for socket 2011-3. The system's memory controller is in the CPU, so board compatibility is minimal to none.

You can buy mobo beep speakers, they usually are provided with PC cases currently.

Your PSU is minimal for this platform but should be Ok.

Comment

Great - thanks Hlafordlaes & parsec! I hadn't realised about the BIOS beepers being separate (or those POST diagnostics boards). There isn't one in my case (Antec Three Hundred Two) but I hooked up a little speaker and was getting 5 beeps (with or without the video card installed) - according to ASRock > Support > FAQ this is a "Process error" which seems to be a CPU issue.

It seemed to me that the CPU installed without any issues, so would prefer not to have to take it out and redo the thermal paste/heatsink mount.

Finally I removed USB header plug (i.e. only things connected to mobo are CPUFAN1, CHA_FAN3, audio connector and 1 DIMM in A1) but now I'm getting 10 beeps ("CMOS shutdown Read/Write error."), even after a CMOS clear (I didn't remove the battery though). Note that the CPU fan is spinning but not actually installed on my heatsink (I wanted to get all the memory in first and the heatsink fins seem pretty delicate), however I can't see any way that it would detect that it is not attached.

It's all getting a bit miserable :(

Comment

Great - thanks Hlafordlaes & parsec! I hadn't realised about the BIOS beepers being separate (or those POST diagnostics boards). There isn't one in my case (Antec Three Hundred Two) but I hooked up a little speaker and was getting 5 beeps (with or without the video card installed) - according to ASRock > Support > FAQ this is a "Process error" which seems to be a CPU issue.

It seemed to me that the CPU installed without any issues, so would prefer not to have to take it out and redo the thermal paste/heatsink mount.

Finally I removed USB header plug (i.e. only things connected to mobo are CPUFAN1, CHA_FAN3, audio connector and 1 DIMM in A1) but now I'm getting 10 beeps ("CMOS shutdown Read/Write error."), even after a CMOS clear (I didn't remove the battery though). Note that the CPU fan is spinning but not actually installed on my heatsink (I wanted to get all the memory in first and the heatsink fins seem pretty delicate), however I can't see any way that it would detect that it is not attached.

It's all getting a bit miserable :(

Note that the CPU should be very very gently jiggled around in its housing when seating. Usually, though, it is nigh impossible to install it poorly. Just the same, make sure it is seated well if you continue to have problems. Also, ***BE SURE*** to install the CPU heatsink fan completely, and then check CPU temps in the BIOS on the very first boot (something I forgot to mention in earlier post). This is the very very first check to do when building a new system. Stay on that BIOS page until temps have stopped going up and you are sure there is no runaway overheating problem.

As for the CMOS, it is finicky. Sometimes a 5 sec clear will do, others you need to unplug the PSU entirely, remove the battery, and short the jumper (or push a provided button) for anywhere from a good 5 to as much as 15-20 minutes. Beep codes will change a lot when testing, sometimes flagging one error, then another. Be patient, making sure you are careful to go slowly stepwise: CPU definitely OK and not hot, then mem stick in for testing, then vid, etc.

Don't get discouraged; victory will be all that much sweeter when you finish.

Late edit to add: Try CPU-only and no mem or vid, then clear CMOS. You should definitely get the beeps indicating memory problems at this point. If not, check CPU and/or clear CMOS more thoroughly. Once you succeed in getting the memory flagged as the problem, in a sense you and your build are in sync. Now proceed one component at a time and test. If mem is OK, you'll get the beeps for video, and so can now add the video card, and so on. This is what got me out of this same situation not long ago.
            Last edited by Hlafordlaes; 01-01-2015, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the advice Hlafordlaes about running the CPU to get it up to temp - I hadn't thought about that and will definitely do so, especially now that I have disturbed the heatsink (see below).

More attempts:
              • Replaced the front panel USB3 header and beeps went from 10 to 5 :)
              • Removed heatsink and reseated CPU - it joggled around a little when it was unclamped. Still 5 beeps.
              • Tried swtiching off AC, removing battery and holding down CMOS clear button for 30 sec. Still 5 beeps.
              • Inserted memory into B2 and D2 - these are partially covered by heatsink so I wanted to put those in before fan ideally. Then I installed fan. Now it won't power on for long at all - when you press the front panel power switch the CPU & case fans spin up for about 2 seconds, then the power LED goes off and it switches off, then it starts up again and repeats this process.
              • I reseated and then removed the CPU FAN1 header completely - that wouldn't even power on the fans so clearly the fan must be somehow connected.
              • I removed both memory modules - same, i.e. only spins up for 2 seconds.
              • Next I removed the motherboard screws (but left it where it was) in case it was somehow deflected - still no change. Then I removed the rear shield as that didn't seem to fit very well so I was wondering if anything was shorting, putting 2 diagonal screws back in to make sure the standoffs don't short anything.
              • Finally I've put one stick in A1 and it is back now to 5 beeps. So maybe having no memory, or memory in the wrong slots causes it to power off after 2 seconds.

I've now powered off, removed the backup battery and will see if the CMOS clears overnight.

There's so little left to try my suspicion now is either BIOS compatibility or some sort of hardware fault. The mobo was only bought a couple of weeks ago but on the BIOS chips it says P1.30. Looking at ASRock > X99 Extreme4 this was released on 27-AUG-14 and the latest is 1.60 released 17-OCT-14. The descriptions of the changes aren't very detailed but include "Improve the DRAM compatibility" and "Update Microcode". I'm wondering whether, given that my processor (i7-5820K) is the cheapest Haswell-E, maybe all the testing focus was on the i7-5960X and some kind of incompatibility gremlin crept in between Intel pre-release samples and production.

So, unless anyone has any other ideas, I think I'd better raise a ticket with ASRock support.

Thanks for your help and encouragement so far though - I've been looking forward to this build for most of last year so can wait another day or two more...

Comment

Well, I've made a bit of progress

I have re-installed a video card - I am not getting any beeps, plus the numlock on the USB keyboard is working so that seems a bit more positive. Therefore I think 5 beeps must also mean no video. I recently bought the two very similar ATi Radeon X600 video cards from E-bay and neither work (other than stopping the beeps). Therefore, as parsec suggested, I think I need to buy a new one (which I probably should have done in the first place!).

I am really looking a very basic graphics card - for VMware it only needs SVGA and will almost never be used after initial installation. Ideally it would have a VGA connector as the monitor I use on servers only has that. Therefore I was looking for one with no fans, minimal memory etc since there's no point using any more power than necessary (yes, I know that's an odd thing to say for a 140W Haswell-E rig!).

Therefore perhaps I'm looking for a PCIe x1 card but they don't seem very common - otherwise how about this?
                • MSI GeForce GT 210 589MHz 1GB PCI-Express HDMI Low Profile

It has a fairly big heat-sink but perhaps won't use much power if the screen is blank.

Sorry for the lame question - I've only really spec'd servers before and they have always had built-in BMC/ILO/ILOM video so don't know anything much about this...

Comment

Errm - I'll confess all... it turns out my VGA lead had come disconnected from the back of my monitor :facepalm:

So now it's alive!

A few final observations for people in the same boat:
                  • An ATi Radeon X600 128MB PCI-e does work with this combination but you mustn't put it PCIE5 (you get 5 beeps) - it's fine in PCIE1
                  • My X600 (I don't know what vendor - was probably from a desktop) has D-sub VGA, DVI and S-video connectors - both D-sub and DVI work
                  • The internal/BIOS speaker is vital to tell what's going on (and your case may not have one) - pin 1 is nearest the centre of the mobo and you need to connect pin 1 and pin 4 (I just used a little 2" speaker I found lying around, though will probably order a cheap one off E-bay for the future)
                  • Memory MUST be installed in A1 first, then B1, C1, D1
                  • You MUST have a video card installed or else you'll get 5 beeps ("Process error.") and not something like 8 beeps ("Display memory error.")

Funnily enough the current configuration (4 DIMMs, display card) should have been the first configuration I tried (before I had a speaker) so I'm not quite sure why it didn't work first time.

Thanks again to Hlafordlaes & parsec - you definitely pointed me in the right direction and kept me going.

Holiday fun, eh!

Simon

Comment

Holiday fun, eh!

Simon
                    Well, I did say you'd be happy when it was over. ;) Glad things worked out!

Comment

Working...
                    X