Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 Bios update Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 Bios update Issue

I recently updated my bios to the latest version as I was having some trouble getting my second video card to show up, this fixed the video card issue but now my system restarts randomly and sometimes it does not boot at all until I switch the Ram positions. As of this morning even switching the ram does not allow me to boot, turning on the pc just results in my cpu cooler and fans not attached to my motherbosrd spinning. I dont even get a dr.debug code, its like the motherboard doesnt turn on.

edit: I updated the bios to L2.31A, I have a sandy bridge processor. There were no issues for a few days, then the system would not shutdown, after that it would not start without ram swap, and now it wont start even with a ram swap.
    Last edited by Skorrn; 12-16-2014, 08:22 AM.

Re: Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 Bios update Issue

What BIOS version were you using before the first BIOS update you mentioned?

Your edit implies you updated to 2.31A as the update that is causing problems, is that the only update you've done recently, or is that a second recent update?

Comment

I can't recall off the top of my head, I believe it was 1.XX but don't know the exact bios revision. The L2.31A is the only bios update I have performed.

Comment

Received a reply from ASRock customer service, apparently that bios version is only for ivy even though niwhere does it say that on their site. According to the rep I need to either replace the chip where the bios is stored or reinstall windows. Im not seeing how a new install would be of any use whatsoever but if someone can explain that to me it would be most appreciated.

Comment

Reinstall Windows? That makes no sense given what I know about this situation.

The problem is caused by a mismatch of the Intel Management Engine firmware that is part of the BIOS file, with the rest of the BIOS code. The special SB to IVB compatibility BIOS update also updates the IME firmware, which is not done in any other BIOS update. That is why problems occur if the IME firmware BIOS update is not done, and any BIOS updates beyond the IME firmware update version are used. You sure aren't the first or last person to have done that.

There is/can be some interaction between the IME firmware and the IME software that is used with Windows. But in my time visiting this ASRock forum, not once has ASRock suggested to reinstall Windows as a fix for this problem. I am not aware of anyone curing this problem by reinstalling Windows.

If we accepted that fix as valid, we could extend the circumstances of it and predict some things that should happen.

Such as, if the OS installation is part of the problems you have with your board, if you simply disconnected the OS drive from the PC, it should behave differently. Will it now POST and allow you to enter the BIOS UI? That would be a fair assumption, given the suggestion to reinstall Windows on a board that will not even POST currently. Otherwise, how could anyone possibly install Windows again on a board that will not POST?

I'm not saying installing Windows again is a valid fix, just applying a little critical thinking to the suggesting you received.

That would be easy to test, just pull the power connector off the OS drive, and you're good to go supposedly, your board will function as it would normally, just without an OS.

Assuming what you wrote is true, must be the same support person that told someone else the other day that they are not required to apply the SB to IVB BIOS update on a Z68 board and can just use a later BIOS version.

My BIOS version question was just to learn if you had used the SB to IVB BIOS, but we are beyond that now.

Fortunately, the BIOS version numbers are kept in order, including Beta BIOS versions. If you know what version the SB to IVB version BIOS is, anything with a greater version number counts as requiring the SB to IVB version BIOS first.

If I were you I would just go ahead and get the new BIOS chip. If you have a spare drive or partition, you could download the Windows 10 Technical Preview ISO file for free and install it, so you could test the reinstall Windows "fix" for free and not wipe out your current OS installation. That is, if your board starts working when you disconnect your OS drive...

Comment

Haha, thanks for the help, Im not going to bother even testing that out, seems like a waste of time. It pretty pathetic that there is no disclaimer on their site at all about the sb bios issue. Looks like Im stuck getting a new chip.

Comment

Originally posted by Skorrn View Post
              Haha, thanks for the help, Im not going to bother even testing that out, seems like a waste of time. It pretty pathetic that there is no disclaimer on their site at all about the sb bios issue. Looks like Im stuck getting a new chip.
              Therein lies the problem.

To be fair, it is Intel that originally allowed the SB/6 series chipset boards (P67, Z68) to be compatible with IVB processors that normally use 7 series chipset boards (Z77.) The requirement for the new IME firmware is part of the BIOS update that allows IVB processors to work with 6 series chipset boards. Mother board manufactures like ASRock made this change available for their boards. At the time, Intel was still manufacturing their own mother boards, and had an equivalent update.

IMO, the only issue here is the logistics of how this update works, it is simply not explained appropriately. That goes for all mother board manufactures, I have yet to see a good description of this situation (one might exist but I never found it.)

I found a flowchart description from Intel describing how it works, but it seems the other mother board manufactures did it their own way. But that has nothing to do with the info and warnings.

All it would take is one sentence in each BIOS entry after the SB to IVB update BIOS entry stating the SB to IVB update must be applied before newer updates can be applied. Or a major warning statement in the SB to IVB BIOS update version. Not doing that implies to users that they can skip the SB to IVB update because they are using an SB processor!

When did all this begin? As far back as 12/2011, to mid-2012. You would think the mobo manufactures that must deal with the support issues and customer anger would have done something about it. I just don't understand...

The new BIOS chip will fix your problem, I've never seen it fail given the feedback about it in this forum. IMO, it is much better than RMAing your board.

Comment

Working...
              X