Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z97 Extreme 6/ac problem with entering Bios and Debug codes A9/A6

Hi there,

Been having an issue when trying to enter the BIOS or UEFI. I receive an error or debug code of A6/A9 as soon I press F2 or Del(accompanied with 1 short beep), and the display freezes shortly after. If I boot the rig normally and don't press any keys, it boots fine into Win 8.1/64.

I'm just looking for some input on what methods I should take to fix this problem to allow me to enter UEFI or BIOS successfully. I've read some methods relating to AsrockZ97, where it suggests to do a BIOS update.

But so far I've only done what my mobo manual suggested when A6 Debug code arrive. A0-A7 codes are described to be a "Problem related to IDE and SATA devices. Please re-install IDE and SATA devices. If the problem still exists, please clear CMOS and try removing all SATA devices."
    After re-installing all SATA devices and clearing the CMOS I still received the same errors mentioned above.

This is my rig:
    -AsRock z97 Extreme6/ac
    -Intel i7-4790k 4.0Ghz
    -Corsair H100i cooling
    -Gskill 2x8Gb ram
    - 2xG1 Winforce GTX 970s
    -HX750 psu
    -Seagate 3TB HDD
    -Samsung 128Gb SSD

Thanks for the read!
    All input would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Z97 Extreme 6/ac problem with entering Bios and Debug codes A9/A6

Which SATA ports are you using? With the board mounted in a standard PC case, the four SATA ports on the top of the stack are the ASMedia, the six below it are the Intel.

If you're not using the Intel SATA ports, I suggest that you do, particularly with Windows 8/8.1.

I use this board and have never had this problem, but I use the Intel SATA ports.

What UEFI/BIOS version are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      Which SATA ports are you using? With the board mounted in a standard PC case, the four SATA ports on the top of the stack are the ASMedia, the six below it are the Intel.

If you're not using the Intel SATA ports, I suggest that you do, particularly with Windows 8/8.1.

I use this board and have never had this problem, but I use the Intel SATA ports.

Yeah I had the SATAs connected on 2 on the bottom row and 3 on the top.
      I'll give it try using the Intel SATA ports and see if it works.

UEFI/BIOS version is P1.10

Comment

Re-installed the SATA devices to the bottom row ports and when I booted up I still got the blank screen after trying to enter BIOS. This time the bug code said 64 ( Code 61-91 Chip set initialization error. Please press reset or clear CMOS ).

Comment

Well, that may be some progress, although the chipset error is strange. Any POST error will prevent you from entering the BIOS, since POST must complete before the BIOS UI can be used.

Since your board is a new model, there may be a BIOS problem, but this is the first we've heard of it.

Did you try a CMOS clear again? No new BIOS versions to try now.

Is this the first time you are booting up that PC? If so, if you can stand it remove at least one video card and try to boot, or remove both and boot with the on-CPU graphics.

Comment

Well, that may be some progress, although the chipset error is strange. Any POST error will prevent you from entering the BIOS, since POST must complete before the BIOS UI can be used.

Since your board is a new model, there may be a BIOS problem, but this is the first we've heard of it.

Did you try a CMOS clear again? No new BIOS versions to try now.

Is this the first time you are booting up that PC? If so, if you can stand it remove at least one video card and try to boot, or remove both and boot with the on-CPU graphics.
            No I've booted this pc numerous times already its just when I'm trying to enter UEFI.

For all my previous attempts I was using the on-board graphics HDMI.
            I attempted booting with one graphics card and using the HDMI on the graphics card instead of the inboard. Once it got past the POST and began starting windows, it encountered a start up error and issued the system to restart. This cycled twice in a row and on the third restart I pressed F2 and magically found myself in the UEFI!!
            Its odd that it works with just 1 GPU but when I try adding the second GPU it boots right but gives methe debug code 64 again if I F2/Del.

My night of no sleep was worth it.
            Last edited by thatRAm; 12-16-2014, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X